Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Banaszek disappointed with her efforts in Antwerp.

Antwerp, BEL -- After Nadia Banaszek's shock exit from the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp, she revealed it would be her last FWTT tournament - for awhile. The Belarussian world #5 will be returning home to concentrate on her studies, something that she has neglected for too long.

''Having played tennis you know for so long, there hasn't been any room in my life for anything else, like school. I think the longer I leave it, the harder it becomes to go back. So yeah, I had to make a decision soon, and that time is now.''

Banaszek will withdraw from the upcomming events in Bogota, Acapulco and the two big American events - Indian Wells and Miami.

''I'd like to apologise to Regla Torres. We had agreed to partner each other in the upcomming Clay events, and I was looking forward to that. I'm sorry that I've given her such short notice, but I hope she understands. Apologies also go out to Caroline and the FWTT tour, for whom I relenquish all of my duties. It's something that I'll miss doing, but this is something that I need to do.

When asked when Banaszek would most likely return, she gave no indication of an exact date, if there is to be one.

''You know hopefully I can make it back. Perhaps after I've finished my studies, or perhaps when I learn how to treat both tennis and school equally, and put 100% into both. I'm going to really miss the tour, but at the moment I need to think about the bigger picture, and realise that there is a life outside of tennis.''

Nadia waves goodbye, hopefully not for the last time.

·
Banned
6,101 Posts
Brooke Allemang :

"Nadia was easily one of my favourite competitors to watch, kindest players to listen to, and a great friend to always talk to. The FWTT tour without Nadia will be a truly saddened one, but it's only when you lose something, that you are able to appreciate how much it meant to you."

·
63,588 Posts
Hope you doing well this year with your study :hug: It's HSC, isn't it?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Larissa Ovechkina reacts to Banaszek's announcement

I support her desicion. I didn't see it comming and it's sad for the tour as we are losing a great ambassador for the sport. I wish her well in what she decides to do. If she doesn't come back to tennis after her studies, it's going to be sad but I'll be happy for her.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
Krunova Commits Suicide After Announcement of Banaszek's Break

:sad:

·
Team WTAworld, TOP President
9,327 Posts
:sad: We all hope that you would be back soon :sad:

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
All the best Nadia. Hope you will be back soon

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
An official reaction from Hanne Nielsen:

"Nadia's retirement will be a great loss for the FWTT. She is one of the nicest players on the tour, always ready to give a helping hand. I will miss her, but I wish her all the best for the future. And I'm sure that when she comes back, she will come back stronger than ever"

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Regla Torres reacts to Nadia Banaszek's shock announcement

New York (AP): Regla Torres was attending a film awards/charity gala event in New York City when she was asked questions by the sports media regarding popular tennis star Nadia Banaszek's shock announcement that she'll be taking a break from tennis, indefinitely.

Torres, "I only found out not too long ago. Needless to say I'm very shocked. I haven't contacted Nadia yet, I will and of course I will continue to be in touch with her. I don't believe that she's gone for good. When you've been on tour for so long, you need breaks and you need time to rediscover yourself off court. I, of all players know this. I have my life on the screen and my film career and Nadia is pursuing an education. I say it's great for her and I wish her luck. It would've been fun to play doubles with her since I have never played with her before but I'm sure there will be opportunities in the future. Tennis won't be tennis without Nadia. She's an exciting player and a true star. We need her."

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
Taliamanosoko talks about Nadia

Nadia has been not only an inspiration to me but to many others on the tour. She is a true product of what a newcomer to the tour should do to be successful. She actively got involved in the game, was patient, and learned the tricks of the game and came out winning a Grand Slam. I am so happy for her achievements, but the tour will sadly miss her. As someone whose gone through a few retirements myself, I can only hope this is just a temporary break and the tour will be blessed again with her tremendous court presence. We will miss you Nadia. :sad:

·
Martina&Roger <3
7,823 Posts
Sad news :sad: Nadia, you were a great player and I hope you can come back! You'll be missed! ...Good luck :hug:

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Nadia - not only were you a great player :worship: , but you were a wondeful ambassador for the Tour. All the best for your studies and hope you feel ready to come back soon :)

·
Registered
44,539 Posts
Nadia I wish you all the best you´re on of the friendliest players on tour and what you did for the game is just AMAZING :worship:

·
Registered
44,539 Posts
Nadia I wish you all the best you´re on of the friendliest players on tour and what you did for the game is just AMAZING :worship:

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Anne-Laure Vandelion official statement :

"I was really surprised when Nadia came next to me to tell me that she would take a break... I did not except that from her. I consider her as one of the best out there. She rose so quickly in the rankings. But I understand and respect her choice. I am also going to university at the same time as I am playing tennis, that means that I am taking my exams abroad next to a fax. It asks a lot, maybe that's why I am quite unconsistent because I have my work for uni and the tour... But that's a choice I've made."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts