Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
hi everybody!

i am in hamburg since monday and will stay till sunday.

i am sitting now in the dtb office ( am working here right now) and just came back from the match. wasn't a very good match. moya could have played better. but congrats to rafael :)

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Did Rafael play a good match?? Or was it that Carlos made like 473 unforced errors? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Now much as I'm starting to admire Nadal, I hope the Monte Carlo pattern repeats itself; a great win over a fellow Spaniard and French Open champion, then a letdown against a tough and consistent Argentine in the next round. This is a great opportunity for Gaudio to finally make a TMS quarterfinal without having to play Ferrero yet again.

·
26,903 Posts
I was also live at the match. :)

All credit to Nadal, no doubt a great performance.

But Carlos was TERRIBLE. I think he had about 50 forehand-errors, not kidding. It seemed like HE was the nervous one. Or maybe it was just too cold for him. But he was also very fair about line-calls.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Losing to a 16 year-old can do much for someone who has their sights on No. 1.

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Well Rafa won matches last year being 15

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
propi said:
Well Rafa won matches last year being 15
He already seems mentally tougher than the struggling "New Balls", IMHO.

Curious to see how he does in each of the Slams.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Tennis Fool said:

Curious to see how he does in each of the Slams.

real pressure comes when you're the favourite

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
PS said:
real pressure comes when you're the favourite
Yep. We'll see how he does once guys are used to him. Nobody is going to take him lightly, as some 16 yo junior now.

I would be very very surprised if he did much at all at RG. There is a big difference between 5 set and 3 set matches. Hewitt struggled at the beginning of his carrer with that, did he not? As have many others. Look at Gasquet, even.

This is a great win, but I wouldn't expect him to start tearing up the tour or anything now :p

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,001 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
At an age of 16 the "mental" word is hardly applicable...

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Player's comments :

Nadal: "The truth is I feel bad for him. I played very well tonight but he was very nervous and was not at his best. I could see that and I felt so bad at one stage that I did not think I could continue. I did not celebrate after the win as I normally do. He's the best player that I have ever beaten but I wish I had beaten a player of his level but not Moya…My tactic was to be aggressive and hit angled shots not to have him dominate the exchanges with his forehand."

Moya: "I didn't expect him to give up once he got to the court. I'm not disappointed that I lost to him, I'm disappointed about the way I played today. I know it's not going to be the last time I lose against him. But I'm not happy at all the way I played. It happens every year in Hamburg, I'm not able to play well here and I don't know the reason. But he played a good match and he deserved to win. He's very tough from the baseline, he returns well. He's a fighter and he is a very good player. For sure he's gonna beat me more times. He's only 16, and he's going to be very good for sure. I don't know what his limit will be, but he's a great player already, and he still has many things to improve, which is good. So he can get very high."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts