Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anastasia Myskina has said she's going for the number one ranking this year. I found myself thinking 'how, she really hasn't started the year off well.'

Well, first off, you'd think she has to do it before RG. Or defend the title, which I don't consider that likely. It's not impossible. She beat Venus and Jenn to win it last year, so she beat a previous finalist and an ex-champ. I just don't think it's likely.

But, if you look at her record last year, she did her best work, outside of RG, outdoors on hardcourts. Her clay work was, well, lacklustre.

BlACK - 2004
GRAY - 2005

2005-01-31 Toray Pan Pacific .... - .. .. I Carpet
2005-02-07 Paris ................ - .. .. I Greenset
2005-02-14 Antwerp .............. - .. .. I DecoTurf

2004-02-23 Dubai ............. 72 - QF T2 O 'Hardcourt'
2004-03-01 Doha ............. 282 - CH T2 O 'Hardcourt'
2004-03-08 Indian Wells ..... 210 - SF T1 O 'Hardcourt'

2005-03-21 Miami ................ - .. T1 O 'Hardcourt'
2005-04-04 Amelia Island ........ - .. T2 O Green Clay
2005-04-11 Charleston ........... - .. T1 O Green Clay
2005-02-25 Warsaw ............... - .. T2 O Red Clay

2004-05-03 Berlin ............ 85 - QF T1 O Red Clay
2004-05-10 Rome ............... 1 - r2 T1 O Red Clay

2004-05-24 Roland Garros ... 1086 - CH GS O Red Clay

2004-06-07 Birmingham ........... - .. T3 O Grass
2004-06-14 Eastbourne ........... - .. T3 O Grass

2004-06-21 Wimbledon ......... 92 - r3 GS O Grass

2004-07-18 Cinncinati ........... - .. T3 O 'Hardcourt'
2004-07-25 Stanford ............. - .. T2 O 'Hardcourt'

2004-07-26 San Diego ........ 315 - CH T1 O 'Hardcourt'

2004-08-01 San Diego ............ - .. T1 O 'Hardcourt'

2004-08-02 Montreal ......... 189 - SF T1 O 'Hardcourt'

If she defends her hardcourt points, and play the clay tournaments like the defending RG champ, she has a pretty good shot, actually. She's only defending 700 points, and she's only 1200 or so behind #1. Obviously, she'll have to be the best player on the tour until RG, but pretty much everybody faces that challenge.

Do I see this happening? No. But the point situation is pretty good, considering most of the other contenders have 17 tournaments, and so are defending points even if they did poorly through part of the season last year.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You don't need numbers to know that she won't reach nr.1 anytime soon if ever. I dare to say she will have tons of troubles staying in the top 10 and she's definitely out of the top 5 by the end of this year. Her game is simply not solid nor consistent enough.

Reactions: Declan

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
She was RU at San Diego to Lindsay.

Yeah, Mysky has played quite inconsistently so far in '05. And her Grand Slams after her win have been bad; 3rd round, 2nd round, and 4th rounds.

Hopefully she can pick it up and stay in the top 5.:D

·
Banned
322 Posts
Myskina can't be number won because anna smashnova clearly has that locked up

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Lindsay, Serena, Amelie, Maria and the two belgian sisters if they are healthy are better and more consistent. So that is the top 6 already.Molik is playing like a mad man so I think she's a good contender for the nr.7 spot along with Venus. I think Elena, myskina and capriati will battle it out for the last three spots.

Reactions: Geisha

·
Registered
25,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crazillo said:
I think she had a chance last year around the Olympics, but now it is too late.
Well, she'd obviously have to be playing a lot better. But numerically, it's right there for her. All she has to do is win, a bunch, before RG.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Personally I think of all the Russians who won a Slam last yr neither Myskina nor Kuznetsova are going to rise to #1. There best chance I believe was last year and through the Australian Open. They's benefitted from their victories by much higher seedings than might have been the case otherwise. But neither has been that consistent. And both will feel the pressure to defend their points at the Slam each won. I think the race will come down to the top three and really down to Serena and Sharapova.

If you ask who out of the top 10 actually will likely win a Slam you have only really 2-4 people. Anything can happen...but if the very top players are healthy, the next lower group will find it hard to rise to #1.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
She had a lousy start to the year. She has had as many wins as Serena in 2005 but got 1100 less points for doing it. Hopman was futile thanks to Safin losing every match and she got nothing for 3 wins there except tiredness nd an off day at Sydney and an another off day at the AO. With both of those draws looking good and playing as well as she did at the Fed Cup she would be still ahead of Maria now. Now its harder. Lindsay she can beat on recent evidence and you wouldn't bet on Lindsay healthwise or in a final. Momo is a problem but the same applies to her. Sveta isn't winning which helps and hiinders Nastya as Sveta can beat other people but loses still to Nastya. Elena looks still beatable. That leaves Serena who is a real problem even though her game is nothing like its former self. It also leaves the key question of Maria. Maria will take out half a tournament for you - if you can beat her you can win. Nastya did it regularly in 2004 - if she can do it in 2005 she can pull herself back into the Maria/Momo/Serena group and has 2 GS with little to defend. Number 1 is a bigger problem particularly if Serena and/or Maria play enough, stay healthy and do better in their other GS too.
Of course the first step is to remember not to hit the forehand over the baseline.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
blumaroo said:
Lindsay, Serena, Amelie, Maria and the two belgian sisters if they are healthy are better and more consistent. So that is the top 6 already.Molik is playing like a mad man so I think she's a good contender for the nr.7 spot along with Venus. I think Elena, myskina and capriati will battle it out for the last three spots.
Big ifs there. Lindsay, Momo, Belgians and healthy are not words you associate together. Serena may fit the bill but has to prove that the AO wasn't her 2005 Miami. Maria used to be inconsistent but seems to be coasting to number one now she isn't.

Myskina has beaten Lindsay twice in the last 6 months, regularly beats the Russians and can beat the Belgians The only Russian doing better than they did in 2004 is Maria and we don't know if Maria- Nastya rematches will look like the first or last set at the YEC. Kim and Justine fit are a threat but they would be a threat to the current top 4 too. Maths suggests that the Belgians are not going to take a time to get a top ranking back even if they come back playng well.

Bottom line if Myskina finds last year's form the people below her last year are not better this year with the exception of Alicia, Maria and Serena. Momo is floundering but may save herself. Lindsay may or may not retire. Nastya in that competition is good enough to be placed 3-6 - better if she can still beat Maria.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Myskina missed her boat, she should have become number by winning Olympics.
It'll be nearly impossible for her to attain that number one ranking, even though it was nearly impossible for her to win French Open last year. So what's the point here? Well, dont win slams and try to win everything else, then you'll be number one in the world.

·
Registered
461 Posts
MySkina wont be #1 this year not with Davenport still #1 & playing great & Serena & Maria coming on strong to challenge for the top spot not to Mention Kuzi & Momo plus Venus & Justine & Jen & Kim if they all come back healthy ...Myskina a great player no doubt but not a multislam winner or #1 player

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
She has chances at Wimbledon and particularly the US Open to pick it up, but I don't think she'll be number one, I think that's just what she'll have to do to stay top 5.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Volcana said:
Well, first off, you'd think she has to do it before RG . Or defend the title, which I don't consider that likely. It's not impossible. She beat Venus and Jenn to win it last year, so she beat a previous finalist and an ex-champ. I just don't think it's likely.
No necesarily, a SF in RG should keep her on the track, baring in mind she has 2 GS to pick points (Us Open is winnable). We all saw how a player can jump from #7 to #2. Myskina's curently #6. So no problem here.

Volcana said:
Do I see this happening? No. But the point situation is pretty good, considering most of the other contenders have 17 tournaments, and so are defending points even if they did poorly through part of the season last year.
Who did see what was going to happen last year about this time? NO ONE. Unfortunately many things can happen, from retiring/comebacks to injuries. Surprises can arise to. Myskina as long as she keeps herself healthy she is a contender to #1.

fammmmedspin said:
She had a lousy start to the year. She has had as many wins as Serena in 2005 but got 1100 less points for doing it. Hopman was futile thanks to Safin losing every match and she got nothing for 3 wins there except tiredness nd an off day at Sydney and an another off day at the AO. With both of those draws looking good and playing as well as she did at the Fed Cup she would be still ahead of Maria now. Now its harder. Lindsay she can beat on recent evidence and you wouldn't bet on Lindsay healthwise or in a final. Momo is a problem but the same applies to her. Sveta isn't winning which helps and hiinders Nastya as Sveta can beat other people but loses still to Nastya. Elena looks still beatable. That leaves Serena who is a real problem even though her game is nothing like its former self. It also leaves the key question of Maria. Maria will take out half a tournament for you - if you can beat her you can win. Nastya did it regularly in 2004 - if she can do it in 2005 she can pull herself back into the Maria/Momo/Serena group and has 2 GS with little to defend. Number 1 is a bigger problem particularly if Serena and/or Maria play enough, stay healthy and do better in their other GS too.
Of course the first step is to remember not to hit the forehand over the baseline.
Obviously Hopman played a key role in Nastya's Australian summer (unfortunately she was unlucky with a lousy Safin). But let's not hurry on choping heads. Demetieva's 1R exit last year in the AO didn't ruin her carrer, she was runner up twice in RG and US :eek: With a little luck she could have won 2 GS titles. And as fammmmedspin wrote she still didn't meet any top players. Dechy was a mirror image of Myskina, Nastya was clearly facing an opponent who handled her like she did in RG with Capriati and Venus. What Nastya needs is GOOD matchups (against top 8 players) to calibrate her game. It's way too early for predictions and I think is good for the "thrill" of the circuit that a player ranked 6 now thinks of #1. Who wants a battle in 2 for the #1 spot when we can have a bunch of 4 or 5 girls kicking eachother's ass. :)
Myskina will always be underrated and that is an advantage for her. Volcana I understand your interest in Nastya but don't storm the haters nest (she will fall out of top 10 bla bla, I don't give a rat about such oppinions)
Let's see some tourneys first, some H2H, and then discuss. Maria is the Heart of the Universe right now, but remember the BigBang theory?
Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.