Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
12,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I say? People have been dogging Venus, counting her out, spewing all sorts of negativity regarding Venus. Sure she has some problems with her game at the moment. But that doesn't mean she is washed up. What she needs to to be injury free and when she is healed up, spend somemore time on the practice court working on her consistency. I have faith in Venus, and anyone who calls themself a fan of this remarkable woman would never ever give up hope on her. I love you Venus Williams and I know you will make a few stumbles along the way before you finally prove your detractors wrong :hearts: :kiss: :bounce: :worship: :hearts: .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like you, i used to be emotional about Venus. Now i'm objective about her game. My thought is that i'm worried. I'm worried that the rest of the tour have caught up with her. I worry that she's not 'tennissy' enough...technique wise....she makes waaaay to many errors for someone of her stature. So i honestly don't know what to think. Can she change her technique realistically at the age that she's in? Don't know.
I really wish that she'd had better coaching but at the same time that sounds like bullshit coz she's won 34 tournaments...five of which are grand slams. That record is better than current no 1 Justine Henin...who has a brilliant coach in Carlos Rodriguez. Contrast that to Davenport who had good coaching and won fifty something titles but only three slams . I honestly do not see Venus winning fifty titles if she stays exactly as she is.

So at the end of all this i'm confused but hopeful. I'll take Venus as she comes match by match tourney by tourney and slam by slam.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Hmmmm.....

Venus 2007

Post RG sayings; "Venus should retire",
"Venus' career is over", ect...

Really?

Venus returns after nearly six month layoff & wrist surgery.

Venus wins 1st title back, beating #1 seed Shahar Peer (one of the
hottest new players on tour and having just reached her 1st
Slam QF having been two points away from defeating the eventual
champ) 6-1 6-1.

Unseeded:
Venus loses to #1 seed & world top 5, 2-6 6-2 7-5.
Venus loses to #8 seed & world top 16, 6-2 6-3.
Venus loses to #2 seed & world top 10, 3-6 6-3 7-6(5).
Venus loses to #3 seed & world top 5, 3-6 6-3 6-4.
Venus loses to unseeded &orld top 40, 6-4 6-4.

So, of her 5 loses, she loses 3 to top 10 players
having had at one or more points in the matches
leads. And she is washed up?

As #26 seed in RG:
Venus loses to #4 seed & world top 5, 6-4 4-6 6-1.

So, she loses to the #4 seed in an event where her
opponent faced higher ranked seeds and still it was
Venus that was thus far her toughest and only three
setter. And she is washed up?

In 2005, Venus was in a similar boat. However, she was
not playing even this well then, and yet despite coming
off surgery and what have you, the negativity is worse?

WTF?!?

If an inconsistent and supposed "washed up Venus" only
back on tour for a little over three months and lacking
some confidence can do all this, is it then not logical
to think that once she regains her consistency and confidence,
the rest of the tour had better watch out?

Venus 2007 after wrist surgery:

Pro's:
Wins 1st title in nearly 2 years @ 1st tournament back.
Clocks her fastest serve ever @ 128.8MPH on a damp clay court.
Finds herself at and making more effort than ever up at the net.
Making more df's, but going after her 2nd serve much more.
Returns earlier than father wanted her to, shows her eagerness to play.

Con's:
Lost some confidence.
Lost consistency.

The pro's out-weigh the con's. And those
con's can be turned around immediately
when Venus comes in contact with grass!

Baby & the bathwater.

Don't get rid of the baby just because
the water may be dirty! ;)

·
Registered
27,961 Posts
Sorry to sound like a negative Betty but I would add "No real direction or variety on the serve" to the Con's List. I know it was clay and all but to see a player like Cornet attack and dictate a point off of Vee's first serve was rather unsettling. Hopefully, she'll work on this..

Anyway, my thoughts on Venus are that she could (heaven forbid) lose all around her to the end of her career and I would still be a devoted fan - can never get enough of Venus :hearts: :worship:

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
i know u havent basehed her right now or anything but then u must not be a real fan...a real fan will stick to their favourite player til the bitter end..it times like thsese when you see whos venus (and serena but different discussion) true fans and tbh, neither woman has that many:(

good luck to vee and teach all your haters a lesson at wimbledon;)

·
Registered
22,126 Posts

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
She'll be back. I predicted at Wimbledon and not Roland Garros about a month or two ago. I think it'll all click there and with a good draw she'll make the final with 'Rena.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I hope it all clicks at wimbledon, but it may be too soon for her. However, like I said quite a while ago - I think that she'll be able to effectively execute her game during the US open series. But then again Wimbledon may be the right time as part of Venus' problem seems to be mental (confidence etc.). So I would say that she'll hopefully go far into the second week.

I have not been too disappointed with her FO, because I think that from what I've seen and she has told us her game is coming together. She played jankovic much better than nicole vaidisova did. Another reason why I haven't lost confidence is as she said - she needs time for her to get into rhythm. So you guys be patient even though it's difficult when you that Vee can just win it all just like that.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Venus is not through until she hangs up her racquet. I saw improvements in her game and Venus is about to start the better half of her season.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I wish I was as positive as you lot. I'm ashamed to say that I've given up on her.
It's fine that you have given up on Venus because all that matters is that Venus has not given up on herself. As long as Venus continues to belief in her abilities she will eventually find a way and return to the winners circle and the fans who never gave up on Venus will be there to congratulate her.

·
Registered
27,961 Posts
I wish I was as positive as you lot. I'm ashamed to say that I've given up on her.
No offence but seeing as you are a relatively new member anyway with so few posts, your absence will hardly be noticed among us Vee fans :wavey: Now if it was someone like Paneru, LizChris, etc...giving up on Vee, then that would be cause for concern :scared: :lol:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It's been tough watching Venus lose to players she would have thrashed in the past, and I'm tired of being piss'd off with the results and will hope for the best.

She's soon turning 27 and reaching a stage where every major win means even more than before, but even if she stopped playing tomorrow and never won another slam, I'd still love her and cherish the many wonderful memories and (near heart-attacks!) she has given me .

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
In the words of Oprah, "I'm not scurred." :p Win, lose, I'll always love Venus. Even when she does retire (years from now still!) I'll still be waiting to see what Miss Vee is doing with interior design and fashion. For me, Venus truly is the one instance where I love the person more than the player.

But I would love it if she gets her game together soon, because frankly no one else deserves to rightfully take her crown as Queen of Wimbledon. ;) :angel:

Reactions: Paneru

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
In the words of Oprah, "I'm not scurred." :p Win, lose, I'll always love Venus. Even when she does retire (years from now still!) I'll still be waiting to see what Miss Vee is doing with interior design and fashion. For me, Venus truly is the one instance where I love the person more than the player.

But I would love it if she gets her game together soon, because frankly no one else deserves to rightfully take her crown as Queen of Wimbledon. ;) :angel:
ITA! :rocker: :hug:

·
Banned
9,861 Posts
Even so everyone keeps telling me she's a lost cause, even so everyone is writting her off, even so everyone is making fun of her (even at home!I'm the only one who supports Venus, they just love Serena), I will never lose faith in her. This 05 Wimbledon proved she can't be counted off.

Oneday, she will find her former self, she's not that far, just some little details missing. I want to be there when she will find that fomer self. It's a matter of time. We just have to be patient.

Like someone said before, I akso think I love the person more than the player.
Wish her all the best.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
:wavey: I thought you'd like the Oprah quote, Paneru. ;)

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
:wavey: I thought you'd like the Oprah quote, Paneru. ;)
She's a cornball and can grate on my
nerves at times, but love me some
Lady O! :lol:

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
BTW, how was the hmmm...."Asian Sluts'" trip? :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts