Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay time for a rant.

When this season started out, we had some good hopes for Elena. A return to the Top 5. Another Tier 1 title, maybe. To remain a legit darkhorse at Slams, maybe pick up a doubles win there.

Then she gets hurt, and makes one little comment about wanting to retire, and all of a sudden it's the end of the world. People around here are all of a sudden pissing and moaning, hoping she can stay in the Top 20, forget winning anything higher than a Tier III, and don't even bother to show up for the Slams.

I STILL maintain that her comment was blown way out of proportion. She uses hyperbole as part of her sense of humor (is that a typical Russian thing? Maybe some of our Russian friends can enlighten us).

In addition, it's been proven that exercise significantly affects hormone levels and mental health. Having to stop exercising could have sent Lena into a temporary depression--lots of athletes talk about how rehab is far more physically and mentally stressful than getting in shape in the first place. So while she might really have been miserable, she should be back to herself by now.

As far as her rankings, sure some up and comers like Vaidisova, Jankovic, Chatvewhozit are cracking into the Top 10. But Kim and Davenport are gone, Schynder and Momo look vulnerable, and she's certainly the equal of Kuzzy and Petrova. So there's plenty of room at the top for our Lena.

And let's be honest. Much as we gush about Lena's looks, there are plenty of girls who are just as pretty as she is on the tour.

There are a few who are, quite frankly, better players.

The one thing that sets Lena apart, the one reason I think we really, truly love her is that she NEVER, EVER GIVES UP. She may lose, she may even get that shapely ass kicked, but she fights to the end. She never, ever throws in the towel.

So come on. She's not going to give up. And we should never give up on her, not over one remark and one injury.

Top 10. More titles to come. A good run in at least a couple of Slams. All still doable for 2007.

It's going to happen. Because Lena Absolutely Fucking Rocks.

·
Captain of the SS Dementieva
15,125 Posts
Cant help feeling some of that was on my radar screen headed my way, but its all true stuff! well said..

·
Registered
14,674 Posts
Top 10. More titles to come. A good run in at least a couple of Slams. All still doable for 2007.
Top 10 is very difficult. After Wimbledon, her QF points will come off - and she's playing there without the benefit of a top 8 seeding. And so far she hasn't fared very well against the elite, which she will meet earlier than she used to when she had a top 8 seeding. Not to mention she's not playing any grasscourt tuneups (more points off). She staked everything on her worst surface, for some reason, and the results, though already quite good, aren't good enough for the current 2007 Grand Hogging Derby. Everyone in the #5-20 range is playing as much as possible.

Her best shot at winning titles is on her best surface, US hardcourts. With some luck on the draws, there's a chance she may go deep or even win a TI or TII with a particularly depleted field. Only snag would be if the #1 is already on the line at the time (possible Jankovic/Henin/Serena battle), in which case no tournament would be as depleted as might be expected. In any case, she has big points coming off at that time as well, so again returning to the top 10 will require nothing less than a very good run at a Slam or a Tier I title, for instance.

BUT the 2007 Grand Hogging Derby is already causing casualties, so if Lena stays uninjured (or "healthy", as murkins are fond of saying), she has a shot at climbing a few spots on the ranking.

·
Registered
14,674 Posts
sounds pretty hopeless then eh?
Unless she does very well (i.e. better than she's doing now) at one or more big tournaments. Which will require both skill and luck with the draw. From what I've seen so far, her game is already in decent to good condition, so we (and Lena) will just have to wait for an opportunity. Or for a big win.

·
Captain of the SS Dementieva
15,125 Posts
well lets hope for both, if not ,so what shes AFR. any idiot can play tennis, but only Lena can be Lena, probably just as well really... :lol:

·
Banned
13,295 Posts
Corswandt always was wrong in the past . This time will not be different

I think that the chances to finish top 10 are better for Elena with Hingis and Mauresmo in bad shape , Kim retiring from tennis .

I don´t buy the Ivanovic hype , Chaky still is "green" . Nicole is the big deal but still is far from her potential . so the chances are there .

·
Banned
13,295 Posts
Wrong about everything

You say that Elena is an overachievement player and she has won 6 miserable titles in 8 years of career . Do you think that someone with 6 titles , 8 years of career and 4 years as top 10 is such thing ?

Another thing that you have said in the past is ... her title in Tokyo was a fluke . I suppose that for you she doesn`t have the talent to win the most weak TIER I title

·
Banned
10,672 Posts
When I first found out she won a Tier I at last I was so happy. Then I found out it's the least prestigious Tier I ever. Bummer.

The US season is where she always thrives the most. I think if she wins Istanbul, or at least makes the semis or finals, that's one good start. And if she at least makes the 4R at the French, it's better than last year. And I don't think she won't play even one tuneup before the grass season.

If Elena's really serious about getting to #1 or winning Grand Slams, she knows she has to play a lot, especially just to get back into the top 10, and even more especially if she keeps falling to the first good player she meets. But clay and grass have never been her specialty, and she only has nine top 10 wins on clay, and I'm almost positive it's even fewer on grass.

I can imagine her ranking falling more following Wimbledon, perhaps to the #18-#20 range, but I could see her back into at least NEAR the top 10 with a good US Open Series run, successful US Open, and good fall season.

But on a depressing, final note. I think we all have to accept Elena's never getting a Slam. It's what all of her fans want, but she isn't getting one. I'll still be a fan, but everyone knows how to beat her. A lot. I can see good runs, but that's about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts