1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.studentnewspaper.org/view_article.php?article_id=20040302115342

Final Fan-tasy
"But I thought you were bringing your friends."

THIS WEEK I have a story to tell, one that I hope will leave you in, as President Bush puts it, shock and awe. It began quite innocently with my search for the vital statistical measurements of Marat Safin and ended with me finding out more than I could ever care to know about a girl from the United States by the name of Monique Viele. This is the story of the fan site.

So what is it that ultimately makes 30 people from around the world join a site dedicated to a young tennis player by the name of Monique Viele? Well, it could be her promising junior career. No. It could be her breakthrough on the lower tennis circuit. No. In fact Monique Viele does not even have a world tennis ranking because Monique Viele has not played any tennis for nearly two years. Her best ever tennis result came back in 2000 with a quarterfinal place at a very small International Tennis Federation tournament.

The question remains unanswered is: why would people join a site dedicated to a player like this? Of course it the same question as to why people create sites on the Swiss curling team or the local Sunday league football team. The supporter likes to show just how much of a ‘fan’ he or she is, likes to meet other ‘fans’, and hopefully recruit more. It is a way anyone can play out their dreams.

The internet is a world where people like Monique Viele can create little armies of supporters. Just about anyone can have a sporting fan site. What makes them special is you don’t actually have to be good, you can be Eddie the Eagle or come last in Triathlon, but someone out there can still decide that they care enough to set you up your very own site.

Serbian

Tennis seems to have some of the scariest fan sites. There are hundreds dedicated to pre-pubescent girls from around the world that seem to be run primarily by middle aged men. The Jelena Dokic site is almost fanatical in its following of the Serbian star, her wins are analysed for hours, and when she loses strategies are created as if she really logs on and takes their advice. These fan sites probably benifit from the fact that you don’t have to give your real name. A 45-year-old Liverpudlian would, I imagine, be a little less eager to write how much he adores the French riding team if he had to write ‘Matthew Jones’ rather than ‘The Boiled Egg’. There really is nothing like the fan site.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Her fans have rarely cared about her tennis;).
Why the fuss about Monica again? Is she going to have her CD out?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm gay so it wasn't my reason :lol:

I liked the name, and sadly, believed the hype. Biggest factor for carrying on the site was that she was in regular contact with me and seemed like a really nice girl. Top marks for her over certain other players who I have done sites for, mentioning no names!!! :p

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
:lol: That's hilarious!

The real question is what's wrong with you that it would actually bother you enough to write about it? :confused:

·
Banned
37 Posts
It began quite innocently with my search for the vital statistical measurements of Marat Safin and ended with ............

Lol what measurements was she looking for ? Maybe the folks from MTF could have helped her out

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's obviously got nought better to do with her time. Surprised she's still employed by the magazine with articles like that!

In my defence - I like to follow players from the very beginning of their careers - it means you get it wrong as well as right sometimes. I'm 50-50 at the moment with my Capriati-Lucic-Viele-Sharapova favourites!

:)

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
:lol:

·
Premium Member
181,855 Posts
:bolt:

Reactions: Mariangelina

·
Premium Member
181,855 Posts
Cool Canuck said:
I don't understand the point of the "article".

Not to mention, I don't think this is TheBoiledEgg real name.
too right, I'm no scouser :tape: although Liverpool is my fav team :worship:

Reactions: Hagar
1 - 15 of 15 Posts