Tennis Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
119,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, final report from me! :D (2 parts coming up. ;) )

Day4: (Friday)

JANKOVIĆ vs CZAKWETADZE

I was really looking forward to watch this match. Anna was 4-1 in their H2H and I remember their last year's match in the 1st round in Warsaw. Jelena had a bad start, getting broken in the very first game. She was 1-3 down when she finally found her rhythme. At the end of the set there were some great rallies. Anna's defensive game made Jelena often hit one more shot and sometimes she would miss. Jelena had 2 chances to take the set at 5-4* but she failed to convert any of them. Then as it's often the case she got broken (gotta love her for those mini-chokes :hearts:). Anna couldn't serve it out at *6-5 to repeat last year's score from the 1st set and it went to the TB. Anna was perhaps still pissed about losing her last game and she commit a string of errors, Jelena hasn't had much to do to win that TB. Anna called for a trainer after the 1st set. She was struggling with her back. She tried her best but to no avail. At 3-1* 0-30 she looked at her dad and he told her to give up (I didn't hear, I can just assume it). First time I saw a player retiring from the match on my very eyes. Sad picture. :sad:

HENIN vs SANTANGELO

After Mara's 2nd round victory over Nadia I had high expectations before this QF, especially as last year their match in Berlin was very exciting and well-contested by both. Again Justine was untouchable, Mara did well to win 2 games in the 1st set when IMO Justine played better than in the 2nd. Lots of great shots (BH CC winners :drool: :hearts: ), an ace here and there or an ocassional serve & volley. Mara tried to motivate herself as she did in the match against Nadia and her supporting camp was pretty vocal too, but there was no way to beat Justine that day. :p In the 2nd set Mara played better though she won only one game. She had a couple of BPs and most of games went to deuce. At the end Justine prevailed 62 61.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
No mention about precious towel from Granville ? :bigcry:

·
119,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After Justine's match I wasted time watching some players practising and lining up for Justine's autograph during her session. Too bad there were too many people and Justine was there only for 15 minutes. :sad: :awww:

KUZNIECOWA vs V.WILLIAMS

It was the last match I've watched in Warsaw. Venus started very strongly and in no time it was *4-0 on the scoreboard. Swieta broke back in the next service game but it was too little too late and Venus won quickly 1st set 6-3. Swieta was horrible, she missed easy FHs and volleys. Venus didn't have to do anything special. Still I felt like she's gonna win especially as she had multiple chances at the start of the 2nd set to break. However Swietłana managed to save them all and after a lame service game by Venus it was the Russian who drew the first blood in the 2nd set. She finally found her rhythme and she wasn't missing as she was at the start of the match. Swietłana was serving for the 2nd set at *5-1, but it would be no fun to finish the set properly. :p Venus broke back at love and next time Kuzniecowa served this set out (6-3). I went out from the stadium at the start of the 3rd set and when I got back Swieta was serving for the match. The audience was clearly behind her. ;)

As I said I didn't enjoy this year's tournament as much as the year before but it I had fun. Too bad I had no tickets for Saturday because two of my faves were due to play each other and it turned out to be a great battle. :sad:

·
119,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No mention about precious towel from Granville ? :bigcry:
Thanks for remiding me. :) I bumped into her on the street when I was heading back to my hotel later in the day. :dance:

Btw, how is queen Hradecka doing these days? :D

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Btw, how is queen Hradecka doing these days? :D
Good, gettin better. :wavey:

Just like Preeeeeeetttttyyyyyyy Boooooooyyyyy :bounce:

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Dzieki za raport :wavey:

·
x
34,531 Posts
Day3: (Thursday)

HENIN vs GROENEFELD

It was the moment I waited for sooo long. Such a great feeling to be able to watch your fave after so many years of following her on TV and so on. I couldn't believe she's there for real playing :lol::eek: (just like Ana last year). No surprise here - Justine won as easy as the scoreline shows (61 62). She was just head and shoulders above ALG's level. In the 1st set ALG was pretty awful she missed a couple of easy shots, Justine tortured her with her defensive skills and the plan that worked against Kaia (hit hard or even harder) didn't work against Justine. :p I have to say that I didn't think Justine hit THAT hard. She served extremely well (even though ALG had a couple of BPs in the 2nd set) and BH as well as her FH were definitely ON that day! :D ALG missed one easy smash late in the 2nd set and she told herself in German 'Why are you playing so bad when you can play better?' :awww: I felt for her and actually I got to like her more after the tournament. I think she will get it together finally. :hug: :) All in all I was thrilled to watch Justine winning a match on my very eyes. Allez! :rocker2:
Were you the one who yelled Allez Ju at her match with Anna? :p

21 - 27 of 27 Posts