Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me make a bold statement. Despite all reservations, the quality of music has never been higher. I believe 10 or so of the songs last night could have won a title in some random year in the early 90's. No country is contempt with just being there. They all want to challenge for victory. Well, except Austria and the UK perhaps. Oooops, maybe I spoke to soon about Austria. Well, here we go:

Iceland - What a begin to the evening. Never thought much of this song ahead of the ESC, thinking it was perhaps a bit too mainstream to really stand out, but it is actually well-produced and Birgitta delivered it with a charismatic performance. This was never going to be relegated to qualification night next year.

Austria - Alf Poier is a musical genius. There, I said it. The protest vote is a lot larger than I antipicated, maybe I should have learnt from Stefan Raab's 5th place in 2000. Have to admit that I sort of liked the rock bits of this song, he really did fire up the crowd. Even if he blatantly can't sing. What was up with the Stars and Stripes on the mock Statue of Liberty?

Ireland - Bares a strong resemblance to "Fly On The Wings Of Love", but somewhat duller. I predicted a voting fiasco for Ireland, but the UK is always there to help, despite the quality of the song. Well, it ended up at 11th place, so Mickey Harte did have more friends. Still, I find this to be an underwhelming ballad. But he did give it his all.

Turkey - This hybrid grabbed the crowd from its first belly-dancing beat and never looked back. The Madonna-inspired stage performance from Sertab and her backing singers was one of the highlights of the evening. They carried the song as far as it could come, and perhaps even further. You could sense the electricity in Skonto Hall, and it was obvious to everyone that a very strong candidate had emerged. I didn't care much for the rap parts of the song, but the oriental 'riff' worked extremely well and probably tipped the scale in its advantage. Not a very Turkish song, but the Turkish part did the job! Nice to see a first-time winner, especially a country that has always left a strong impression in the contest.

Malta - One of the top dogs of the Eurovision had submitted a so-and-so song and were immediately punished. Lynn could have walked around on stage all night, eight Top 10 finishes over the last 10 years for Malta didn't help her. A flawless act, but just a very, very ordinary tune.

Bosnia - A female version of Tom Jones's Sex Bomb, at least musically. The switch between Croatian and English didn't work awfully well. Neither did the costumes and her voice. Not unlucky to finish 16th. Turkey always had a habit of voting for Yugoslavian songs, but this was hardly worth 12 points.

Portugal - Tipped to finish rock-bottom, settled for 22nd. Rita looked great on stage, but there is only so much you can do with a fairly average ballad in typical Eurovision vain. English wouldn't have helped this one.

Croatia - A daring outfit on Claudia, but Britney Spears wouldn't go within 10 miles of this song. Just fairly unremarkable.

Cyprus - Stelios looked a mile better in what must have been a touched up video. On stage, he came across as a bored pimp in that white outfit. Why was everyone wearing white? I liked this Mediterranean disco tune ahead of the competition, but on the evening it left me cold. Gee, I wonder which country gave this one a '12'?

Germany - Lou looked slightly frightening on stage with her diabolical smile and cartoonish hair color. She didn't roar through the verses as in the studio version. I missed the accent on "trouble" for instance at the beginning. Loved the costumes of the backing singers, but they never really came alive and grabbed center stage. And neither did Lou, she almost looked as apathetic as Corinna May last year. Still, an excellent disco song, literally, but I guess the viewers felt they had heard a bit too much of this already. No wonder since Ralph Siegel has entered songs into the Eurovision roughly 476 times.

Russia - They came across as a couple of teens playing pop stars in front of the bathroom mirror. Nice different song, I kind of like the industry beat, but they didn't do much with it in terms of vocal performance. Tame outfits, tame stage act. Did not see this in the run for first place, but how wrong was I. The mere spectacle and the star quality can carry you far I suppose.

Spain - The bookies were in love with this one. But it really seemed pale in comparison to Turkey which it slightly resembled. A quality production, but Beth seemed to struggle to hit her notes. Was a bit overpitched at times. A number of pundits, who had watched the rehearsals, had mentioned these problems in advance. And they proved true.

Israel - Awfully entertaining show, clearly seeking to exploit the striptease idea from last year for full effect, but the song was perhaps too jolly and unpretentious to really leave a dent. If that's possible. I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. One of the best stage performances of the night.

Netherlands - Of the female vocalists, few could match Esther. Flawless Euro pop, but lacking the outstanding chorus to fully attract attention.

United Kingdom - Never held this one in high regard. Sounds just like everything else you hear on commercial radio these days. But when you mess up a mediocre song, what you get is nil points. The leggy half of the duo, Emma, was way off on the night and looked very inexperienced in such a demanding setting. Seemed out of breath at one time, maybe hyperventilating. Didn't think much of the dancing by the male guy either, Chris, he really looked like a goof as he strolled around on stage.

Ukraine - I absolutely adored the opening of this song, with Oleksander displaying the grandeur of his classically trained voice. Perhaps he should have stayed with the ballad part a little longer to make the transition to the upbeat part more exciting. Very catchy tune, but perhaps a bit too cheasy and repetitive with the "Hasta la vista"-part. Still, very good for a newcomer.

Greece - A truly bursting costume on Mando. Nice James Bond'ish sound, but the song never really takes off and has to filed under "fairly ordinary".

Norway - The goose bump moment of the night. A very strong ballad, but the performance wasn't quite there. Jostein's face was badly overlit which really ruined the intimate atmosphere. And his vocals were a bit tentative, he even appeared to skip one of the higher notes. Deserved 4th place for a nice composition that is very pleasant on the ears. But I think more could have been made of it.

France - If not the best song, then truly one of the finest performances. I loved the hair in Louisa's face. It may not have been planned, but it looked so cutely natural. One of the best ever French entries in my book. Nice change from the usual sloooow ballads.

Poland - This one also left a very strong impression. Michal - the red-haired guy - almost brought down the hall with his enormous voice. Hugely ambitious song with lyrics that actually mean something. Very happy to see this awarded with 7th place, even if I were skeptical ahead of the competition.

Latvia - Oh my, did I miss badly. I sincerely thought this could win, being a more poppy "My Star" (Brainstorm, 2000) and all. I still think it's adoringly cute, not the least because of the "Beautiful South" touch. But F.L.Y. were pretty far removed from the studio version last night. They obviously had sound problems, at least at the beginning. Perhaps Latvian television feared another win? No, they weren't close. Maybe it was just a bit too untidy and confusing with three lead singers, and they didn't have much spectacle to offer on stage. One of the two guys looked seriously odd as well. Some very disturbing grimaces. I feel a bit sorry for the host country. They put on a great show and were obviously very enthusiastic. I guess it's especially hard when the song has been tipped to do well, and even their neighbours seem to despise it on the evening.

Belgium - While I expected Latvia to finish top of the table, I thought Belgium would struggle to avoid relegation. But the whole of Europe seemed to enjoy this original piece. It's obvious that Europeans are craving to see something "different", whether it be this folksy try or Alf Poier's inane antics. Their performance didn't set anything on fire, like Turkey's. I think it lacked some variation, but I'm glad it finished ahead of Russia. What a tight race. A bit of corruption would have won it for Belgium.

Estonia - Shockingly only 21st. Really enjoyed this one. Perhaps the crispest performance of my pre-ESC favorites. But I guess the song may be a bit too disinterested and mellow to make the needed Eurovision splash. Well-conducted theme piece. And worth listening to a lot more than once.

Romania - One of the "heavier" pop songs, and one I really took a liking too. I admire its intensity and drive. But really some awful costumes and a strange stage act that I doubt earned it many votes.

Sweden - Quintessential Sweden, a Eurovision powerhouse. Their 5th place really, really surprised me. I was never a huge fan of this one, despite its ABBA-heritage, but their performance was one of the best on the evening.

Slovenia - Liked the first sentence of this song, but from then it didn't do much. Just a very, very average song. Boring dress as well. And 23rd as a result for Karmen.

No offense to any countries. I'm sure I will love your entry next year. Or in 2005. ;)

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I agree with everythng you said, except the comments about France & Poland, because both songs were rubbish, France was boring and deserved to be placed lower, and the Polish song only did well because of it's anti-war and peace lyrics!?!?!?! It was one of the worst entries from the whole contest!

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I think Mija Martina ( Bosnia ) was better just singing in bosnian, no english, hope we will do better next year in Turkey...TURKEY GAVE TO BOSNIA 12 POINTS AND WE DID THE SAME FOR THEM BECAUSE WE LOVE TURKEY AND THEY LOVE US...

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Iceland - Great start and a great song, well sung, and very strong, could have been more of a threat if it had had a better draw, maybe 10th or something

Austria - OMG God this song was awful, and the guy could not sing.

Ireland - It was okay, but nothing to write home about and nothing to give them 12 points over :fiery:

Turkey - Great song, she was a little of key, but her strong voice helped sooth over that. The dancing also helped (I noticed this year everyone had taken a hint from Maria N and had eleborate stage performances)

Malta - Boring which suprised me as Matla always are reliable!

Bosnia - It was ok, with a catchy chorus but it just was not strong, and it Eurovison being strong matters.

Portugal - I cant even remember this song...

Croatia - A good song, but perhaps a little too 'opps I did it again' for Europeans

Cyprus - Cheesy latino waiter style song, which seemed promising by the intro but got worse as the song went on.

Germany - The campest song of the lot, made us remember what we all watch Eurovision for. To laugh at the stupid entries of the other countries. This nearly beat 'Ha Da Da De Doo de Da' from Germanys a couple of years ago.

Russia - Just goes to show, that even if you have a sore thoart adn cant sing, a bit of lesbo action along with a world wide smash hit, and multi platnium album can help you.

Spain - Seemed flat, and did not have the excitment of some of the other entries

Israel - The stage performance was good, but to be honest I cant remember this song.

Netherlands - Funky but being so close to Germany this Euro-pop tune probably was overlooked in the Germans favour.

United Kingdom - LOLOL!! Well done Britian this song was the biggest joke, I heard it for the first time, I wondered how it had even been voted by US for consideration to Eurosong. She could not sing, he behaved like a dick! Bombing Iraw probably did not help in our favour.

Ukraine - I did not thinkmuch of this song, typical boring Eurovision wall paper.

Greece - Was flat and never went anywhere but she could sing.

Norway - Being behind the piano probably did'nt help this guy, of course I dont expect him to dance to this number.

France - France seemed to have the general idea, in 2001 and 2002 after going for pop entries and falling flat on thier faces. Natasha St Pier and the bird from last years songs were good, but France have lost the plot again this year. C'mon lets get smoochy again in 2004

Poland - It was a nice song, but that guy annoyed me.

Latvia - Boring, but I would have though it would ahve done better. If not for a little bit of political voting (thanks Estonia) this would have been right at the bottom!

Belgium - Wow, in country which has a language for every square mile they have to go and make one up for the Eurovision entry. Nice reminded me of Clannad, and the Norwiegan entry which won in 1996.

Estonia - Cant remember

Romania - This suprised me, as I thought the song was crap, but perhaps the colourful records and the woman showing her arse onstage helped them!

Sweden -ABBA'esque entry again, after the delighfully camp silver turkey foil disco diva entry last year. It was good.

Slovenia - Liked this per-ESC but on the night I think a poor performance, and a bad draw but this out of contention.

·
Team WTAworld, Destroyer of the Ring
5,336 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
Belgium - Wow, in country which has a language for every square mile they have to go and make one up for the Eurovision entry. Nice reminded me of Clannad, and the Norwiegan entry which won in 1996.
Lol you British people always like to exaggerate this apparently ;)
But it's somewhat true :eek:

·
Registered
32,312 Posts
Yup, Croatia was too Britney Spears for this competition

Bosnia was better in Croatian

I though Latvia had a chance to win as well, I have no clue why it only got 5 points

I didn't like Belgium. The Russian's song was good, but they were out of tune. Austria was just alwful.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
My review!

ICELAND - A very good opener for the show, she sang the song well but the backing vocals and the backing track seemed to drown out her voice.

AUSTRIA - Well this was different wasn't it! I knew it was going to do well because it is so rubbish!! The backing singers were even more ou of tune than him.

IRELAND - A boring song, which shouldn't have been awarded 12 points from the UK. It happens every year the UK gives Ireland plenty of points but they give us none!!!

TURKEY - One of my favourite songs this year. It was a great performance although she didn't sing it brilliantly on the night. Well Done Turkey :D

MALTA - A good performance with a boring song.

BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA - I thought that this would finish higher than it did and it's a shame that Bosnia will have to go through qualifying next year because I liked the song :sad:

PORTUGAL: A boring song, a good performer and the Portuguese lyrics translate to sensible English lyrics for the final verse (or at least ones that make sense)

CROATIA - I also liked this song, the performance was much better than that in the Croatian final, the cross over from Croatian to English went well and the English lyrics didn't sound out of place. Like Bosnia, it's a shame that this didn't finish higher because it should have done!!!

CYPRUS - Very similar to Spain's, but in my opinion better :) The performance was good although repetitive and a bit boring.

GERMANY - Great song, very bouncy and upbeat! and memorable, this definately deserved to finish a lot higher.

RUSSIA - Their performance was better than expected but thats not saying much. The song is the same as their previous releases and shouldn't have done as well as it did.

SPAIN - I still do not understand why this was one of the favourites. It's a mediocre song and probably did better than what it should have. It wasn't a great performance, it was about as good as the song! Also, it's a good job they sang it in Spanish because the English translation is a load of rubbish ;)

ISRAEL - Without it telling you the country, you could have guessed it was from Israel. Not a very good song and an OK performance

THE NETHERLANDS - Actually I cannot really remeber this performance apart from the fact that it was sang well, the song was alright and did as well as it deserved.

UNITED KINGDOM - The deserved much better, the performance was poor but the song should have given us a few points. It most definately wasn't the worst performance, but next year perhaps the BBC should select a performer and song internally, it may bring better results! But by next year all these anti-war people who wouldn't vote for the UK because of it, will have forgotten about the war and may start voting for the UK agin ;) ;) Oh and there was no need for vandals to smash their dressing room up, it was just unneccessary! :( :(

UKRAINE - Well they have got to get used to the competition and as it is their first go, perhaps we can excuse their choice of song. It shouldn't have received as many votes as it did but it was a good performance but thats all.

GREECE - She sang it well but it never really got going!

NORWAY - Boring!!!!!!!!!And his facial expressions made it even worse. He looked as though he was in terrible pain throughout the entire performance and I did not like it!

FRANCE - Boring, that's all. The performance wasn't very good and neither was the song. But it's more or less the same every year from France ;)

POLAND - Rubbish. It only did well because of it's anti-war lyrics, otherwise this would have finished near the bottom where it deserved.

LATVIA - I was expecting this to do better than it did, but when it was between the UK & Latvia for nil points I knew that Estonia would give them some points ;) It wasn't a brilliant performance and usually the hosts do a lot better!

BELGIUM - This is a nice song, it was performed extremely well and was definately a nice suprise for the evening and when Slovenia were announcing their votes i was expecting them to win. One of the best performances of the night :)

ESTONIA - Nothing special about this. It finished where it deserved, but noting special.

ROMANIA - A good performance of a song which I thought would be difficult to sing live. Did as well as it deserved, and being on near the end helped it :)

SWEDEDN - the same style rubbish every year from Sweden, shouldn't have done as well as it did, but the woman gave a good performance even if the man was a bit wobbly in parts!

SLOVENIA - I thought the song would have done better but in my opinion it should have finished below the UK, based solely on that performance, it was boring and poorly sung and Slovenia deserve to qualify next year. Hopefully they will learn ;)

My Favourites;
Turkey, Bosnia, Croatia, Germany, Belgium & Romania

The worst;
Ireland, Spain, Israel, Ukraine, Norway, France, Poland & Slovenia!

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I thought the best songs were

Netherlands,Germany,Spain and Turkey oh and Iceland

Worst songs- Austria(he may be taking the piss but still it was bad) Russia-oh dear god what were they doing!, Greece -Out of tune

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The song from Poland was horrible, I still can't understand why people voted for it so much.

The dress from the Greek girl was :eek:

Spain seemed to have a problem with the chorus, or maybe Beth couldn't get higher with the song.

Turkey was the best. I liked Ireland a lot, too. Didn't get much impression of the Belgian one.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
My Non Political Views ;)

Iceland - WOW! Best song i have heard in Eurovision ever, fantastic song, the contest could only get worse from here. Brigitta's pop rock could make it in Europe with her group Írafár

Austria - Hated it at first, but have to say, it was different......respect to the guy

Ireland - Typical Irish song........predictable

Turkey - Wasn't the worst, wasn't the best, bit of a rip-off as the beginning sounds like Holly Valance, who ripped it off of a Turkish artist originally

Malta - I liked Malta, not as much as Ira Losco last year, but surprised to see them so low, they usually do well

Bosnia - Mid-table, not great, not bad

Portugal - Another good one that did bad, ballads seem to be out

Croatia - Bad, not as bad as some, but it wasn't great

Cyprus - Had a tune, more than some

Germany - Happy and cheery, all about enjoying, which is what the Eurovision is

Russia - Keep sucking that helium...........got 0 points from UK........lol........odds that they'll cancel any tour of UK in protest? ;)

Spain - 3rd best, catchy

Israel - poor, nothing to it

Netherlands - 4th best, catchy

United Kingdom - oh dear, he's very 80's, she's very out of tune. No idea how they made it this far

Ukraine - Yawn, asta la vista baby, lol

Greece - Was okay. Shakira's hair, Cher's face

Norway - Nice hair ( ;) ), half decent song

France - Celine Dion Number 85

Poland - wonder if the guy has coughed up that flem yet

Latvia - 2nd last for a host? is that a first? was crap thopugh

Belgium - lol @2nd imaginitive but made up, was pretty poor

Estonia - bad, instantly forgettable

Romania - Disliked at first, but tried something new, would be good as instrumental

Sweden - Good, typical Swede

Slovenia - Her breasts were squashed in, poor girl, probably affected her performance

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
Germany - The campest song of the lot, made us remember what we all watch Eurovision for. To laugh at the stupid entries of the other countries. This nearly beat 'Ha Da Da De Doo de Da' from Germanys a couple of years ago.
I think you mean Wadde hadde du de da? ;)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think Russia would have been sharing Nil Points with the UK if no-one had heard of Tatu before the contest, not a bad song but the performance was utterly woeful. They would have needed helium to reach the notes they were aiming for, and they couldn't, making it sound like a wailing shouting pseudolesbo catastropheski.

My fave songs were Iceland (she was v cute :) good song all the same), I liked Estonia's,

Least favourites were Russia, France (dreary typical french rubbish), Germany (because the woman scared me), Poland (who said wars cant be seen from space... obviously not heard of satellites), and Norway, which was an ordeal. Oh and Ukraine...

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Kris said:
I think you mean Wadde hadde du de da? ;)
Ahh yes, sorry I was probably distracted by his christmas lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts