Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Could you follow Salerni-Kirilenko match?
Sorry, but I couldn't thanks to the 3 sets loss of Frederico Gil vs. Blake. I was hoping to watch that match, but Gil's one was long :rolleyes:

I only watched a couple of points of her 1st round against Coin.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
any thoughts on the match between Groth and Peer?
Couldn't watch it, because Cirstea and Wickmayer were also playing.

Once again, great schedule of play.
Serious, Estoril only has the WTA tourney (thanks a lot for that, BTW) to give to hopeless portuguese chokers some WCs. The worst part is I support and suffer a lot with them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Day6

Anna-Lena Groenefeld def. Sabine Lisicki 62 ret.

Only the last game. What a shame about Sabine's shoulder.
She called the trainer when I got there, still tried to hold her serve with agressive strokes, but it wasn't enough.
Now, I consider ALG main contender to win the title (now she'll probably lose tomorrow :lol:).

Ekaterina Makarova def. Maria Kirilenko 57 62 62

From 4-3* until the end of the 1st set.
First of all, I must say Makarova gave a very useful lesson today: "How to lose a set in 8 strokes."
But before that, 4 games were played and I must say well played.
Like yesterday, Makarova was agressive on her FH. She tried to control the points with that shot.
Very disputed points with both showing will to win the match (apart from the 12th game :eek:).
Maria had a sp at *4-5, which she wasted with a missed CC BH return. At the next game, Makarova had a break point, netting a BH, kind of forced with a Maria short slice ball.
Very long game, Maria eventually held it.
Now, here it is the Ekaterina Makarova's valuable lesson: "How to lose a set in 8 strokes:
1) Miss 1st serve;
2) Miss 2nd serve;
3) Miss 1st serve;
4) Miss 2nd serve;
5) Place the 1st serve;
6) Miss a DTL FH (if you're a lefty, otherwise, miss the BH);
7) Miss the 1st serve;
8) Miss the 2nd serve."
And there is: simple and quick.
I was expectating a meltdown from her after that. Surprised to find out she won it.

Yanina Wickmayer def. Sorana Cirstea 63 16 64

From 4-1* until the end.
Cirstea was too passive in the 3rd. :rolleyes:

I arrived and Sorana managed to even the set at 4-4, but gave it away at *4-5 with a very poor game: errors and a DF.
In the 2nd set, Sorana immediatelly broke Yanina and rebroke and 2-0, playing some agressive tennis. After that, Yanina totally gave away the set, making a bunch of UEs. She still broke at 0-5*, a nice gesture from Sorana, BTW.
In the beggining of the 3rd, Yanina started to play well again, her agressive game, moving her opponent side to side, always trying to take the control of the rallies, unlike Sorana who was too passive, not taking any risks on the 2nd serve returns expecting something like the 2nd set probably.
o, the belgian took a deserved *5-2 and finally Cirstea decided it was time to try a comeback, helped by a couple of UEs of the belgian and she broke to make *3-5. With a few good serves she held to 4-5*, but Yanina eventually held her serve to win the match.
I wonder why during the 3rd set, Cirstea hardly was trying to make winners, always playing safe, when she definetelly has the power to do it. That's why Yanina won the match. She wasn't afraid and went for her shots.

2 doubles matches:

Kops-Jones/Spears def. Dulgheru/Silva 75 16 10-4

Watched the first 4 games, but I wasn't there in the stands. After that, I just took a quick look at the score and a couple of points time to time. I was on Centralito, and on every change over I went to see this.
Dulgheru defensive skills are useless on doubles, so in the 1st games Kops-Jones and Spears always punished it with their volleys. Dulgheru's net game level is probably not very far from Brie Whitehead's. At least from what I saw. I guess she went to play better after that.
Neuza was better, she sometimes returns with a lob on her BH and it worked a couple of times.
Then, I left Centralito to watch the final set TB from this.
Kops-Jones/Spears doubles skills finally showed up, hardly giving Neuza and Dulgheru any chance.

Coin/Pelletier def. Cirstea/Kirilenko 64 16 10-7

Not very much to say about this. It was more interesting to talk with Corswandt or simply watch Cirstea than the match itself.
Coin and Pelletier made some good volleys, Coin's serve is great, Pelletier manage to ace Kirilenko and Cirstea has much more potential than she usually shows. It's a delight to watch her powerfull flat strokes. Why she doesn't use them more??
I guess Coin/Pelletier deserved the win for being a little better in the end, not making errors.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am bit underwhelmed with Cirstea's level. It is the first time I really follow some of her matches and I really don't see the big potential many people find. :shrug: Probably it is my problem. I am bit underwhelmed in general. Makarova is in the final and I am also disapointed on her, I thought she was much more powerful (as Corswandt said in his topic) and her movement is also not that great.

I have never publicized it but LusoTénis is covering Estoril Open and we have a blog, frenquently updated, with the recent news on the tournament. It is written in portuguese so most of you won't enjoy it, however there are some pictures from tournament/players and it might give you just a general feeling.

·
Banned
323 Posts
Thanks. I hope Makarova plays better in the final.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Day7:

Marosi/Fichman def. Diatchenko/Dzehalevich 64 46 10-7

Planned to watch Peer vs. Wickmayer after a few games of this, but I saw many people leaving Centralito - I presumed Peer retired. So, I decided to stay until the end and then to go to watch Groenefeld vs. Makarova, however it ended to quickly.

Marosi was the clever of the 4, making some great FH passing either CC or DTL. Diatchenko's flat strokes weren't so effective as yesterday and her serve really is something weird.
In the 3rd set TB, Diatchenko/Dzehalevich had a well built 7-4 lead, thanks to some agressive smart play and good volleys. However, Marosi/Fichman were consistent for the rest of the TB and helped by stupid mistakes from their opponents. They finished the match with a forced error by Dzehalevich after a Fichman's BH volley.

Kops-Jones/Spears def. Coin/Pelletier 36 75 10-3

Like yesterday, I wondered how the hell Kops-Jones and Spears have some nice doubles results. Until I get my answer when they were losing 36 05, when the decided to play some doubles tennis.
Pelletier was the best player out there during the 1st set :eek:
She played on ad size and her best combination was BH return followed by a volley. She won a few points in that way.
Coin's strokes went to the bottom of the net like 4 or 5 times in all match, her game definetlly doesn't suit clay. Kops-Jones/Spears baseline game was a mess and their net game wasn't good either. That huge lead by Coin/Pelletier naturally happened. But suddenly, Kops-Jones/Spears found her net agressive game, shorting the points and that was the way they managed to comeback and win the match.
There was a point in the 3rd set TB that Coin felt when she was at the net, Pelletier still hitted the ball a couple of times, but when Coin was rising from the ground, Kops-Jones smashes right to her to win the point. The ball didn't hit her, but still poor Coin :hug: and a nice effort from Pelletier.

·
Registered
14,674 Posts
Kimiko probably didn't even understand you, she barely speaks english. :lol:
I'd place a Vegas bet that she does, maybe even quite well, but pretended not to so as to dodge questions regarding her pathetic choke in singles and tank job in doubles.

I am bit underwhelmed with Cirstea's level. It is the first time I really follow some of her matches and I really don't see the big potential many people find. :shrug:
I still think that she has the potential to hit a patch of shit hot form (going for her shots, serving at her best) similar to that of Szavay in the summer of 2007. Other than that, anywhere between #20-60. But there's no denying she's a delight to watch when in full flight.

Probably it is my problem. I am bit underwhelmed in general.
This is a MM event, what did you expect?

Makarova is in the final and I am also disapointed on her, I thought she was much more powerful (as Corswandt said in his topic) and her movement is also not that great.
Crafty player with smooth strokes and that's about it.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Day8

Yanina Wickmayer def. Ekaterina Makarova 75 62

Really disappointed by Ekaterina today. Maybe she was mentally and physically tired, but her game was off. Her 1st serve left her and she made a lot of UEs during the match.
Yanina was agressive everytime she could, keeping her positive attitude trough the match, deserving to win it.
Very even 1st set, Makarova tried to blew it at *4-5, however Yanina UEs didn't let her. Nevertheless, at *5-6 she did it with a couple of DFs and a bad UE of her BH side.
The 2nd set, with the exception being the game when Makarova broke Yanina's serve, the russian was a total mess. Really a shame, I think it would be a much better final if Makarova was at her best. Congratulations to Yanina on winning her 1st WTA title.

And after 8 days, WTA Estoril and the reports are over :sad:
It was a pleasure to me to write them. I hope you liked as much I enjoyed to do it.

Already was asked about Michelle's pics and I will post them here during the next days.
I have pics from all the matchs I reported, so if you want it, just ask here and I post.

·
God Gave Us Rock 'N' Roll
47,777 Posts
thanks for reports :yeah:

·
Banned
323 Posts
Kimiko probably didn't even understand you, she barely speaks english. :lol:
I take it that means that her German husband is fluent in Japanese.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Neuza lost to Benesova (warm-up)

Frederica in doubles

MJK are on my sister's photo's card, so it may take a while until I posted them here.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts