Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was planning on going to the Dubai tournament next week. I'm wondering whether I should still go. The plan was/is to reach Dubai on Monday evening and come back home on Sunday afternoon. I'll be missing classes on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

The issue of missing classes arises because my university has a rule that if a student has 7 absences in a course, they will automatically get an F in the course, regardless of the grades accumulated. :retard: I saved up my absences so that I'd have between 2-3 absences in every course if I went to Dubai. However, one of the course instructors missed her sessions this week, so if I go to Dubai next week, I'll have 5 absences in her course. I can still manage it but it will mean, me being extra careful.

Other than that, I get free airline tickets but discovered today that my free tickets won't be available till the 1st of March. However, I did save up enough money beforehand, that I can afford to pay for my ticket and still have money left over for tickets/shopping in Dubai.

I'll return on Sunday and will have 6 exams from Wednesday-Saturday once I come back, so that's something else to consider. And I'm not feeling too good...fell sick 2 days ago.

Now, I also want to make sure I don't miss some potentially amazing opening round matches, if I'm only attending from Tuesday onwards.

What should I do? Do you guys think I should go?

I should add, I've attended the event in 2003 but Hingis, Davenport, WilliamsX2 and Sharapova weren't playing. I'm a HUGE Hingis fan and have never seen her play live, which is kinda the whole basis for this trip. Anyhow, I'm stuck in should I-should I not land. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Being a teacher, sometimes my students come to me with that kind of dilemma. Here's what I usually tell them: If you already considered advantages (of going) / disadvantages (of missing classes) and the balance is positive or even, then you should go. If you feel that going will make you put up some hard work that you're not willing to, then don't go. In the end, the decision can only be made by you... nevertheless university/school is not all and other experiences (outside campus) are equally important for your performance in what comes to studies. ;)

Being a huge tennis fan, I could only tell you to go and have a great time so you better take my opinion as a biased one! :p

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I like suzie's suggestion, make a list of positives and negatives and wiegh them..
How about going to Dubai for three days.. I know once there it'd be difficult to leave halfway through, but you can go early on , like go on Monday, attend the first three days of the event.. That way you'll get to see all the big names, plus atleast 2 matches of Martina. Come back on Thursday and attend your Friday,Saturday classes.
OK I'm just being a wise ass. Do what suits you and have fun!

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Ali man, thats a tough predicament. *I* Would go to Dubai and see Hingis, but you have a lot to do it seems like. :eek: Is is possible to go from tuesday-sunday? Minimize your loses, lol?

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
suzie said:
Being a teacher, sometimes my students come to me with that kind of dilemma. Here's what I usually tell them: If you already considered advantages (of going) / disadvantages (of missing classes) and the balance is positive or even, then you should go. If you feel that going will make you put up some hard work that you're not willing to, then don't go. In the end, the decision can only be made by you... nevertheless university/school is not all and other experiences (outside campus) are equally important for your performance in what comes to studies. ;)

Being a huge tennis fan, I could only tell you to go and have a great time so you better take my opinion as a biased one! :p
Yes, I really do want to go for the entire tournament and I will be missing the first day of play because I opted to attend classes those days instead. ;)

I'm one of those people who don't necessarily work hard unless they need to. I won't study more than what is necessary, but when there's a week left for exams and it suddenly hits me I'm not doing too well, I study like crazy (averaging 15 hours a day) and manage straight A's. Yes, that's slightly insane but I always kick into high gear when I'm down and out. :p

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ryan said:
Ali man, thats a tough predicament. *I* Would go to Dubai and see Hingis, but you have a lot to do it seems like. :eek: Is is possible to go from tuesday-sunday? Minimize your loses, lol?
I can go on Tuesday, but then I'd miss all the first round matches. I could only watch second round matches, QFs, SFs and Final. And I have to decide by tonight, otherwise I would have waited till the draw came out.

·
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect
32,385 Posts
Go for it, I would say ! Don't worry about your unversity stuff, search a good excuse and it will be fine... You can't miss the occasion to see Martina Hingis in action LIVE ! Represent the Martians well there and have fun ! Bring your books with you to study a little bit though.

Reactions: Mark Spruce

·
Registered
23,559 Posts
Since u have a free ticket.And u haveuniversity i suggest go there maybe the first 3 days of tournament and come back.in that case,u can see hingis and dont miss class that much

·
Foo Fighters
9,056 Posts
mmmh hard to say, i personally would go. The Tournament comes every year, but nobody knows, what will be the next year and now you got the chance to see Hingis and co.

If you go, i wish you much fun! :)

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
I say just go. You'll still have a couple of absences left over, and you can study for your exams at night when you get back from the tournament (I'm assuming you just have day session tickets?). Plus it's a chance to visit a beautiful city like Dubai!

It just means you have to be a little bit more careful and take a few simple (yet very necessary) college precautions. Don't go out and get smashed if you have an early class the next day, turn your alarm on full blast, make sure you set it to AM instead of PM, which I've done before:p .

Have fun though!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think you should attend your classes. But, I'm paying for two kids at University, and would be very disappointed if they chose to miss that many classes for a tennis tournament. And I love tennis.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
30,466 Posts
If it were me, i'd probably go for the first round, maybe the second round as well, and then come home because that way you're guaranteed to see Martina :)

if Martina gets a tough draw and looses early, will you regret staying for the whole tournament?

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm on a scholarship - I just have to pay a small sum of the total tuition. I've visited Dubai before, but this trip has only one purpose: to watch Martina Hingis play tennis live.

So, I decided I'd leave for Dubai on Tuesday and attend the tournament from Wednesday through Saturday. The Williams Sisters (expected to) pull out greatly helped my decision.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Martian Stacey said:
If it were me, i'd probably go for the first round, maybe the second round as well, and then come home because that way you're guaranteed to see Martina :)

if Martina gets a tough draw and looses early, will you regret staying for the whole tournament?
I'll leave for Dubai after all first round action is complete and reach there before second round action begins. So, I'll know before I leave if Martina's still in the draw and if she isn't, I most probably won't make the trip.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tommyk75 said:
Put school first. I bet you'll have more opportunities to see Martina in person. If you allow yourself to have that many absences, you're gonna be cutting it really close to the 7 absence/F mark, not to mention the schoolwork you'll be missing.
I've decided I'll be attending classes on Monday and Tuesday now, so the most absences I could possibly end up with in a course will be 4. And in some of my courses, I'll only have 2-3 absences. But yeah, I will have to be very careful. I'm also waiting for the draw and I'm going to see how the results play out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts