Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ever live tournament so I was pretty excited.. Actually, I was quite disappointed because Kournikova withdrew and I found out last night.. one of the main reasons for goin was to get a glimpse of the Russian Star!!

Anyway, I arrived at the tournament and watched these players practice, pretty surreal! And I was surrounded by all these players.. most of them I didn't recognise! I wasn't goin to get autographs, but in the end I was influenced by these little kids, being so quick to get to the players for thier autograph...

Tanasugarn looked a bit up set in the morning.. she was just sitting next to the practice courts watchin over the other players... however, about half an hour later, Janet Lee and W Prakusya and Widjaja came up to Tanasugarn and they left!!! I got all their autogrphs except Janet lee who i initially had no clue who she was until I saw her match on one the side courts!

Dementieva also finally appeared at the practice courts... so I tried to get her autograph.. after saying 'excuse me' twice.. she totally ignored me and walked off.............. what a stuck up ******!!!!!!

Also overheard Keovathong's (tendinitis in wrists) coach! He was talkin to some other guy tellign him that she was obviously haveing trouble with her forehand andwas not admitting to the pain.. he said 'she has to think about next week (Eastbourne) and the week after (Wimbledon), Keovathong was set to be the first match on court against S. Foretz... but in the end Keovathong pulled out...

So the first match i saw was Foretz against a nice blonde Gouken from argentinia (lucky loser)... in the end Foretz took the match 6-3 6-2

I left the centre court and headed to court 4 where Tu was to play yoshida...

Tu's coach was sitting beside us and we were the only people clapping in the match.. most of them to Tu! Can't believe how long Tu takes to serve........................... boring...... she made so many errors.. and I had to leave the match at 4-4...........

I headed back to centre where Raymond (yeah.. finally a known player) was up against Rodonova..... Rodonova is quite feisty and a good player.. so look out for her.. but Raymond proved too much and eventually pulled throgh 6-3 6-3

The final match I saw was perhaps the most anticipated: Bovina against Asagoe... Bovina was erratic.. errror after error........ but her serve was huge.... but that didn't help because Asagoe was returning so well..Asagoe must have played at the top of her game.. winners down the line.. volleys,, everything! She surprisingly won comfortably 6-3 6-3.. impressive.

Malleeva and Jane came onto court but the heavens open and I eventually left!!!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well I got there late (what else?) and watched Sharapova play.

I ate my lunch next to Dementieva, but, I was too afraid to ask for an autograph, her and her Mum where in an intense conversation. They were scouting out Snyder.

Bovina played crap, but Shinobu volleyd well, and I think she has hitting harder then Elena. Elena scowled at me because of some dumb baby in my stand.

I watched bits of other matches, but the heavens opened at about three, so I could not be arsed and caught the early train home.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? ye.. the baby thing at match point.. Bovina was playing crapper than crap... maybe grass ain't her surface

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
What do you guys think of Sharpova? Is she the real deal or overhyped?

Did anyone see Anna at all or has she already left England? I heard a rumor that she was coming back to the US for an assessment on her back and would probably not return to Wimbledon.

Were Widjaja, Praskuya and Lee nice when you met them? Be sure to get Lee's autograph next time!

You guys are so lucky. Thanks for the report. I hope to read more from the tournament when you have time.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
tyk101 said:
really? ye.. the baby thing at match point.. Bovina was playing crapper than crap... maybe grass ain't her surface
Yes, I also got the impression Elena's mother did not get on with Elena's coach (yes, suprised me she has a coach!). He did not speak Russian but sounded like he was from Eastern Europe. He was quite funny kept making jokes. When Elena was playing doubles, and the rain came they put the net down. The rain stopped, and he said "Should leave the net like that, make it easier for the girls".

I think it was more to do with the fact that Shinobu had played Subition or however you spell it last week, so was used to the grass. I know she played doubles a lot but, I dont think Shinobu is a S+V, but she seemed to be doing it a lot today.

I thought it was funny how she just buggered off at the end, not throwing balls to the crowd etc. Guess shes not used to winning on a stadium court!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
apoet29 said:
What do you guys think of Sharpova? Is she the real deal or overhyped?

Did anyone see Anna at all or has she already left England? I heard a rumor that she was coming back to the US for an assessment on her back and would probably not return to Wimbledon.

Were Widjaja, Praskuya and Lee nice when you met them? Be sure to get Lee's autograph next time!

You guys are so lucky. Thanks for the report. I hope to read more from the tournament when you have time.
Janet Lee took a toilet break, but I caught her on her way, and she was crying Im SURE!!! She was winning the match and all, I dont know what was up.

Sharapova seems the real deal, she hits the crap out of the ball loads, but is very erratic. She just seems to go for the big shot, even if she wont make it 100%. I got her autograph!!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha.. yep.. hey so u were the one with the baby?!
I was actually surprised that the pace of the game isn't that fast IMO.... but of the serves are big, as expected.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
NO, but I was a few rows in front, so she looked at me, and then up! I nearly turned to stone!

I actually found the serves not as fast (I could have hit them back, albiet very short). I also thought that Bovina was not that big a hitter, Sharapova seemed to smack harder.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Janet Lee was so nice.. i feel bad becuase she kinda game up to me ready to sign but i was waiting for tanusugarn.. yepp alll nice!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bovina serve was quite big.. but the rest are mediocre.. and yep Bovina's groundies seem to be big cos she grunts!?!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Yes, some people were making comment about that. I also had these guys behind me who talked all the way through argH!!!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I also think that Shinobu looks old (not in a bad way), and very diffrent from what she does in the photos.

Her coaches are funny!!!

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Can't believe how long Tu takes to serve........................... boring
LOL, yeah I know. I watched her from afar a couple of years ago - I was pretty much ROTFL - I got a funny look off Likhovtseva at the time don't think she apreciated me laughing during her intense match :eek: No wonder she was reluctant to sign an autograph LOL hehe :D

-Rachel :wavey:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dava_russianrule said:
Yes, some people were making comment about that. I also had these guys behind me who talked all the way through argH!!!
what stand were u on? I was on stand C and these two people just talked and talked and talked...... and i know they're from the same uni as me and doin the same course!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I was on stand D. Those guys were old,drunk and they where having a pervy conversation. About Bovina, and her see through shorts.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RayRob said:
LOL, yeah I know. I watched her from afar a couple of years ago - I was pretty much ROTFL - I got a funny look off Likhovtseva at the time don't think she apreciated me laughing during her intense match :eek: No wonder she was reluctant to sign an autograph LOL hehe :D

-Rachel :wavey:

it was pretty funny cos Tu questioned a call.. but IMO the ball was alright... then her coach said 'what did u make of the call'... and i said 'to be honest I thought the ball was in'... then he gave me a dirty look..!

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
tyk101 said:
it was pretty funny cos Tu questioned a call.. but IMO the ball was alright... then her coach said 'what did u make of the call'... and i said 'to be honest I thought the ball was in'... then he gave me a dirty look..!
LOL what is it with these tennis folk - so intense......think they need to lighten up a little, LOL

Maybe I ought to do a servey of who gives me dirty looks.....

....I haven't met many players, but the one I have met who was majorly down to earth was Lucy Ahl - I know she's a very low ranked player but I had a 10 min conversation with her and she signed an autograph - and that was my first year there :)

-Rachel :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts