Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sned it off to a bunch of people thanks to a mate who works in teh industry - i got my first reply today. It was really positive:

"Paul,

I think the idea is very solid.

It appeals to me as a great and innovative new concept.

I would love to get stuck into programming this type of game, I would find it great. I have written a real-time Mens Ranking ladder program, where you data feed the results in and the LTA statistics are generated. I did it for my father who was an avid tennis fan and wrote the program in Mallard Basic for Amstrad PCW machines. So I could use that basic engine to deal with the rankings elements and add around that all the gameplay features including many of the good ideas you have sent in.

I am aware of a Freeware Tennis Coach game that came out in the early 90’s – it was written in Basic. So the idea is not new but I think the market is ready and sufficiently new to welcome another attempt using modern computing capabilities.

Tennis is a secondary sport in terms of saleability in PC terms.

Manager games vs playing games are second rate too, so this genre scores badly on both counts.

That said, there is no doubt it could be made into a smart little game that could be produced and sold on a tight budget and I think could hit 20,000 sales, something like that.

If we do have our own software house it is definitely a title we would consider producing. But we are atleast 3 years away from that and we would do it as a B or C title.

If you can code and have about 300 hours spare to build it I suggest you get cracking on it. Someone will definitely do this type of game in the next 5 years and depending on the popularity of tennis within the different countries of sale the results could be good in a good climate.

Good Luck

Stuart Currall

F1CM Program Manager"

Unfortunately i cant programme to save my life; but it was a start :D

Paul

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I think a playing game is better too :)

Good idea anyway!! Congrats! :D

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manager games vs playing games are second rate too

- he means games that have both features - champman has just teh manager side, while fifa is just playing side.

Games with ahve both tend to do badly as one aspect has to be less well done. Often publishers pick the wrong aspect!!

PAul :D

G

·
Oh yeah, like Onside Soccer, one of the first games on the Playstation1, combined a crap management sim with an gadawful playable game to make what is possibly the worst football sim since Kick Off on the Mega Drive, or Ryan Giggs International Soccer (I swear the person who did the music score for that game must have been very drunk).

I cringe at the sight of Player Manager football games, so yeah I suppose he is right, could work differently with tennis tho.

G

·
NB. Championship Manager rocks, I'm slowly but surely turning Barry Town into a European superclub, well I got to the group stages, beat Monaco 4-2 in the deciding game to get the UEFA Cup spot, then drew with Real Madrid 0-0 at our place before losing 3-0 at the Bernabeu BUT I DIGRESS!

Try Sports Interactive, see what they think about it. www.sigames.com

Don't go to EA with it, the company who of course said Championship Manager was "a concept which wouldn't sell".

·
10,772 Posts
I can make Chelsea champions but only if I see practically the whole club and buy Shevchenkos/Rauls/Tottis/Kahns/etc ... I'm really bad :eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
veryborednow said:
...make Chelsea champions but only if I see practically the whole club and buy Shevchenkos/Rauls/Tottis/Kahns/etc ...
Having said what you said, can we then come to the conclusion that the game is REALISTIC? ;)

·
10,772 Posts
can we then come to the conclusion that the game is REALISTIC
well I cheat :) I become the manager of loads of clubs and put their best players on sale for about £1,000 - then I can buy a world class team for about £20,000 :p

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Game Will Be Made!!!!!

The producer above confirmed he'll make it with me - but not for around 18 months as he is busy in other prjects, including expanding his company.

But that is better as i'll eb on my gap year so will be totally free to make it teh best game ever!!! [for Pc]

Im so excited!!

Paul :D

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Well done paul i'll be bying a copy when its released!

·
Registered
60 Posts
veryborednow said:

well I cheat :) I become the manager of loads of clubs and put their best players on sale for about £1,000 - then I can buy a world class team for about £20,000 :p
In case you misunderstood me, I meant the game is realistic because Chelsea CAN'T win the league! ;)

Hehehe...

Chelsea have lacked contuity, and IMHO need a couple more years under Ranieri who I believe is doing a good job building up the squad. But my money's on dumb-a$s Bates sacking him after the end of this season. Oh, and Lampard for 11mil must be one of the biggest rip offs in footy history! ;)

As for the game, tennis management sim would not really appeal that much to casual fans IMO, as it is different from a footy management sim, because there are so many aspects of management with football that's "surface level". With tennis though, besides playing the game itself, there isn't too much more to the game for the not so serious fan.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
see i think it would eb so much fun to commit to tournaments pick coaches, sponers, balance money etc.... PLus get the oppertunity to play as well.

Also this game's ranking would be realistic in that it woudl follow teh same rules at teh WTA.

Paul

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Congrats man, that's very cool!

Of course if you need someone to compose the music for it (none of that waiting 8 years to get copyright clearance)..... ;):D

Seriously, that great news for you. Congrats.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Congratulations Paul!:bounce:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts