Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. Focus - Serena seems much more focused on the big stage and gives it her all
2. Conditioning - Serena seems to build for the slams. It is almost as she wants to peak thoroughly in the finals of a slam, everything else is a tuneup
3. Purse Amount - The more the money it seems the more she wants it.
4. History - Serena wants to be remembered as one of the greats.
5. I almost forgot this one, Slams and big tournies do not require you to play back to back matches.....may be the biggest reason.

I realize there are other motivations to win, but these are the ones that come readily to mind.

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
Re: My 4 reasons as to why Serena does better at slams versus other tournaments

My only reason : motivation

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree most with the number 2. Its obvious when she is down physical and working out the body at most in the smaller tournaments, and then the peak comes in a slam and with that the confidence come. I guess thats one of the reason she retire during smaller tournaments cause she is so down physical and dont wanna risk any injuries which is very common hen you are working out your body a lot...

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
2. Conditioning - Serena seems to build for the slams. It is almost as she wants to peak thoroughly in the finals of a slam, everything else is a tuneup
5. I almost forgot this one, Slams and big tournies do not require you to play back to back matches.....may be the biggest reason.

I realize there are other motivations to win, but these are the ones that come readily to mind.
You do realise it applies to everyone, a day of rest is beneficial to all- not just serena! Serena is a champion and thinks like one, she really has no time for for small touenies, of all titles she has won, none of them is a tier 3.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
She's just mentally stronger than the rest of them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You do realise it applies to everyone, a day of rest is beneficial to all- not just serena! Serena is a champion and thinks like one, she really has no time for for small touenies, of all titles she has won, none of them is a tier 3.
I think you are wrong, not everybody has a body who can take a lot of workout and make visible improvement like example Serena, Mauresmo, Henin and so on...

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
i think when people win multiple slams it's because of intangibles.

so, to me serena wins because she 1.) wants it more and 2.) believes deeply in herself.

everything flows from these things. you can have all the skills in the world, but if you don't recognize your gifts and have an unshakable belief in yourself, you won't get anything. it's just like in life.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
i think mentally and emotionally sarena is more compatitive than venus noticing her on coirt and her personality she is like the type of person that say to herself if i want it ill have it and motivates herself all the time she's always hungry

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
I agree most with the number 2. Its obvious when she is down physical and working out the body at most in the smaller tournaments, and then the peak comes in a slam and with that the confidence come. I guess thats one of the reason she retire during smaller tournaments cause she is so down physical and dont wanna risk any injuries which is very common hen you are working out your body a lot...
No, she retires because she's hurt and doesn't want to risk further injury.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Re: My 4 reasons as to why Serena does better at slams versus other tournaments

My only reason : motivation
It is really that simple, Slams are the Real Deal...

...any player who says they aren't trying to play their best at Slams, is probably lying...

...Venus once mentioned that they were taught as kids to stop playing if there was anything wrong with them, if it wasn't a Slam. They should only play hurt if it is a Slam.

You have 4 chances every year to make history as a tennis player, everything else is for the $$$ or other personal reasons.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I realized very early big tournies were Serena's targets. She would play 10-13 tournies a year and still be among the money leaders. With regard to having a day in between matches, this means even more to Serena. Her physique is unique among players, to have that much body mass and to be quick enough and have stamina enough to play tennis at such a high level is amazing. Downside is she is prone to injury. A day of rest for Serena means probably more than to most players.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
think people when multiple slams it's because of intangibles.

so, to me serena wins because she 1.) wants it more and 2.) believes deeply in herself.

everything flows from these things. you can have all the skills in the world, but if you don't recognize your gifts and have an unshakable belief in yourself, you won't get anything. it's just like in life.

aMEN!:wavey::bounce::lol::cool:

·
Winner
14,940 Posts

I disagree with 3 and 4. There is still loads of money to be made on the tour, and to be remembered as one of the greats you have to do well everywhere, not just in the slams. I think every professional knows that all tournaments matter, and all tournaments are a chance to make tennis history in one way or another. The people that deny that would be the casual fans who only watch the grand slams.

I think it's clear that Serena gives it 100% everywhere she plays. Motivation is not and should not be an issue for a pro, especially one as competitive as Serena.

For me, the main reason why Serena perhaps does better in the slams than anywhere else right now is the mental edge she has on everyone else. Apart from Venus, and to a lesser extent Sharapova, there is nobody else who has won multiple slams before and has as much experience in the big matches at the slams as she does. Her level of play or desire doesn't change much from a Slam to a Premier (apart from the fact that she is more confident in a slam final), it's the other players who mentally cannot cope in a big slam match against someone who has been and won there so many more times (we saw that this year with Kuznetsova, Dementieva & Safina).

·
Isha > Your fave
26,632 Posts
I disagree with 3 and 4. There is still loads of money to be made on the tour, and to be remembered as one of the greats you have to do well everywhere, not just in the slams. I think every professional knows that all tournaments matter, and all tournaments are a chance to make tennis history in one way or another. The people that deny that would be the casual fans who only watch the grand slams.

I think it's clear that Serena gives it 100% everywhere she plays. Motivation is not and should not be an issue for a pro, especially one as competitive as Serena.
Slams get you into history, not MM tournaments. You really think Serena has the same motivation in wining a slam that she has in winning a MM tournament? If she did she would have won atleast 1 MM tournament.

Serena might be trying to give 100% in every match, but at the end of the day it to the motivation and hunger.

Its funny how you haters try to reduce the importance of slams, just because the WS win them.

For me, the main reason why Serena perhaps does better in the slams than anywhere else right now is the mental edge she has on everyone else. Apart from Venus, and to a lesser extent Sharapova, there is nobody else who has won multiple slams before and has as much experience in the big matches at the slams as she does. Her level of play or desire doesn't change much from a Slam to a Premier (apart from the fact that she is more confident in a slam final), it's the other players who mentally cannot cope in a big slam match against someone who has been and won there so many more times (we saw that this year with Kuznetsova, Dementieva & Safina).

Serena was winning majors even when there were capriati , henin, davenport, hingis, seles in the draw. So saying ' there is no good competetion for Serena, so she wins' is a stupid argument

And you missed Mauresmo.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Slams get you into history, not MM tournaments. You really think Serena has the same motivation in wining a slam that she has in winning a MM tournament? If she did she would have won atleast 1 MM tournament.

Its funny how you haters try to reduce the importance of slams, just because the WS win them.

And you missed Mauresmo.
The main reason why Serena does not have a lower tier title is because she never plays them. Slams, Premiers (I and II's), Olympics, YEC are the tourneys at the highest level of pro tennis, where the top players play. Those are the ones that get you into history. You look at any of the greats, they have amazing records everywhere not just in the slams which is why they are greats. Same with Serena.

You're calling me a hater now, how original of you. I'm not reducing the importance of slams, you are reducing the importance of the tour by effectively saying tour events are meaningless.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Serena was winning majors even when there were capriati , henin, davenport, hingis, seles in the draw. So saying ' there is no good competetion for Serena, so she wins' is a stupid argument
I'm not saying that in a bad way. Is there anyone as mentally strong as Serena? No. The mental side counts the most in the biggest matches, which is where Serena's main strength counts even more. The players who are weaker than her mentally have a bigger chance to beat her when the pressure is not as high.

Anyway, Serena's won tons of tour matches/titles herself even in the last year, where her mental edge does not count for as much and her opponents have more of a chance against her. So it's not like she can only win in the slams.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts