Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this in 'General messages'

http://www.thisisbrightonandhove.co.uk/brighton__hove/sport/SPORT4.html

From The Argus (Brighton's local newspaper)

Tennis: Hantuchova returns to Eastbourne
by Mike Donovan

Daniela Hantuchova will play Eastbourne with orders from her coach to stick to a cod and chips diet at the seaside resort.

Hantuchova's coach Nigel Sears confirmed the Slovakian, a semi finalist last year, is to return to Devonshire Park for the Hastings Direct International Ladies Championships from June 16-19.

But Sears is worried about her weight.

He said: "It is my No. 1 concern for her. I'd like her to put on some. She's in too light a condition.

"She is hitting the ball with as much power as ever but she's burning off more calories than she is putting on.

"When we get to Eastbourne I'd like her to get into plenty of cod and chips.

"You have to be careful with young players but I feel she doesn't eat enough.

"I don't want her to run out of gas. Her energy level matters."

Hantuchova will play doubles with American Jennifer Capriati, who is also playing singles at Eastbourne.

Sears said: "They played together at Wimbledon last year as a one off but they want to give it another try."

Hantuchova will practice on the Devonshire Park courts in the week prior to the tournament.

Should the weather cause problems, the world top ten player will move indoors to train at the Brighton Health and Raquets Club at Falmer, where Sears is based.

Hantuchova, 20 today, has reached six quarter finals and one semi final this year.

Sears said: "Daniela has been very solid but hopefully we can improve as we build up to Eastbourne."

She is playing for her country in the FED Cup in Germany this week before linking up again with Sears next Tuesday for the new tournament in Warsaw, in which Venus Williams plays.

Hantuchova's claycourt season will continue in Berlin and Rome before the French Open in Paris.

And Eastbourne is the stop after that.

Anna Kournakova and reigning champion Chanda Rubin have already confirmed their entries for Eastbourne.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
35,542 Posts
Well I am happy that Nigel takes her weight in mind...

I am frustrated though....Why is she playing with JCap??? ONe of the players I prefer playing with the player I hate the most and will always!!!

Well I still love you Dani!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
All i can say is......woo yey!! dani is going to Eastbourne!!!! :bounce:
Please!!! DANI!! i have tickets for the final....do everything within your own human boundries to get to that damn final!! Thankyouplease! :)

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Doubt said:
All i can say is......woo yey!! dani is going to Eastbourne!!!! :bounce:
Please!!! DANI!! i have tickets for the final....do everything within your own human boundries to get to that damn final!! Thankyouplease! :)
:wavey: Glad you got your tickets! :D Did you get a good seat?

·
Registered
378 Posts
GrahamD said:
:wavey: Glad you got your tickets! :D Did you get a good seat?
lol, about as far away as you can get! lol, which is fine, i'll just have to rely on someone nearer (hint-hint) to take wonderful pics.....so i can say 'Yer i saw that too, it was just five times smaller!'
:)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hantuchova, 20 today, has reached six quarter finals and one semi final this year.
Now to those here who think that her performance is dipping this year take that into mind. In the 9 or 8 tournaments she's joined this year she has gone on to AT LEAST the top 8 7 times. At about the same time last year aside from winning IW, she had NOTHING but 2R's and 3R's!

So therefore if you guys think that such results show that Dani is in a "slump" or is "inconsistent"...then the rest of the tour had better get ready because "slumps" pass sooner or later. If you look at the stats contrary to what some of us think on a match to match basis Dani has actually IMPROVED from last year... just not as spectacularly as some expect but undoubtedly she has shown more improved and solid results. She is a newbie to the top 10, but those results obviously show that she deserves to be there.

If Sears does his job right (and Dani as well) I'm willing to bet that we're gonna see an increase in her SF appearances.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Nigel, but what a stupid comment. Just because Eastbourne is by the sea, it doesn't mean you have to eat fish and chips just as you don't have to eat Sauerkraut when in Berlin or hotdogs and burgers when in the States or escargot when in Paris. :fiery:

I hope that Dani now realises it's time to get a coach who knows what he or she is talking about, both on and off court. :wavey: Nigel.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
I saw them play last year at Wimbledon and they were really disappointing. They should have lost in 1st rd, but as they're great players, they went through, but, in the 2nd...

Come on Dani anyway :bounce:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
GrahamD said:
Sorry Nigel, but what a stupid comment. Just because Eastbourne is by the sea, it doesn't mean you have to eat fish and chips just as you don't have to eat Sauerkraut when in Berlin or hotdogs and burgers when in the States or escargot when in Paris. :fiery:
completely off-topic but:
that's true, Berlin has become famous for its DÖNER :cool:
try one if you get there, in most of the cases a Berlin Döner is the best Döner you get in Germany. Just tried some myself during the Easter holiday *yummy yummy* Döner has become a kind of national meal over here, actually they sell more Döner than burgers :eek:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
just curious: anybody knowing what a Döner is? just wondered cos otherwise nobody would understand my post :confused:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
moogle san said:
just curious: anybody knowing what a Döner is? just wondered cos otherwise nobody would understand my post :confused:
Nein, mein herren. Vas ist ein "Döner?"

..Joe

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, Nigel talking to the press about Dani's wt...i do hope the british press don't make a big deal about this...and that she's got somebody working w/ her on this.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
yeah, hopefully not. But even if they do, I think Dani can cope with it. She seems to be very realistic and confident with the media.

"Döner" has been invented by a Turk actually. But rumours are that he invented in Berlin. Check the link to see a Döner :)

http://www.wheaty.de/haendler/bilder/serv-doener-gross.jpg

Admittedly, it doesn't look that delicious, but it tastes very well. Besides it's cheap and it satisfies your hunger :lick: It always contains meat, salad and sauce, but there are a lot of variations. If you ever come to Germany, try it :wavey:

However, I think it's spreading all over Europe :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
moogle san said:
http://www.wheaty.de/haendler/bilder/serv-doener-gross.jpg

Admittedly, it doesn't look that delicious, but it tastes very well. Besides it's cheap and it satisfies your hunger :lick: It always contains meat, salad and sauce, but there are a lot of variations. If you ever come to Germany, try it :wavey:

However, I think it's spreading all over Europe :D
Ah. It's a variation on a calzone. We Italians always have a great idea!
:D

..Joe

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
hmm... never thought of that before :) actually it looks a bit like a calzone (although a calzone is completely closed, isn't it?) but it tastes completely different. I like both :D

oh, and :worship: to Italian food. I'm unable to imagine a life without pizza and pasta :lick:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts