Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12,537 Posts
Re: Muguruza having won two slam titles is the biggest travesty in women's tennis

Muguruza completely deserved her slams though, played brilliant offensive tennis, especially in the RG final vs Serena.

Silly to kick her when she’s down in her career.

I predicted a few years ago after Mug won her last slam that she clearly wasn't the type to dominate the tour through the season/year and i was proven correct, she is however very streaky and can easily turn it on in a slam if she wants to again in the future. Doesn't have the mentality to dominate the tour, just not hungry enough.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Re: Muguruza having won two slam titles is the biggest travesty in women's tennis

Think harder, Mr Sharapova.

And you're diminishing her achievements based on her current form. She won seven matches to clinch both titles fair and square. I don't particularly like her but she deserved those titles and it's not a travesty at all. Side note, it's interesting that she beat Wickmayer and Kuznetsova at both.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Muguruza’s game is right up there with the best in the world when she is in form....After she won her slams I expected she would go on to be one of the dominant players....I think her current woes have little to do with her abilities and more to do with the externals of being a professional tennis player.....maybe parting ways with Sumyk will see her back playing her best next year....would make women's tennis even better if she did!!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts

Totally disagree.

She's not the GOAT, but she won those titles fair and square. She's beaten pretty much everyone there is to beat.

Is she one-dimensional? Kinda. But not more so than Sharapova, Wozniacki, Halep, Sabalenka and...basically everyone else.

She played great tennis to win what she's won. Just because she's fallen from those heights since then, we can't retroactively devalue her tournament wins.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts

The same could be said for Sharapova tbh. Or for that matter, maybe even Wozniacki, Kvitova and Halep - predictable gamestyle with very little variety.

·
Registered
115,506 Posts

Osaka only has 1 title besides her 2 majors. Ostapenko has 1 non major title
Thats the way it is. Some players can be under the radar, get the right draw and then cant deal with expectations
Muguruza used to play well at times. Nothing incredible, but she played some Wimbledon matches with Kerber that were good
Especially starting with Vinci/Serena, several players had fortunate draws at the right time
Players who were good before then had a lot of big roadblocks before the title like Wozniacki at 2014 USO. Only Serena was beating her in that , and Azarenka in 2 previous USOs

·
Registered
34,191 Posts

I'm sure bigger travesties can be found. She won the last point in 7 high pressure matches in a row, twice, those are the requirements, there are no others. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

I don't agree. Muguruza has had some great doubles success and is a very complete player. When I first saw her in Roland Garros in 2014 I was so impressed that I thought she'll be a future #1!
And actually she was :)

·
Registered
115,506 Posts

You have to remember that a major is still JUST one tournament which means the draw is very important
Bartoli played Flipkens in the semi and Lisicki in the final. Pennetta played Vinci in the final
Sometimes that happens, especially because there were players like Lisicki who could beat contenders playing at a high level then play a shit match
Muguruza was always a very inconsistent player but she did close 2 majors when she had the opportunity. Kerber went about 10 years without a slam final then won 3, and she was never incredibly good, but consistent and stayed healthy for the post Vinci era, and she really took advantage. Never won a tier 1 and was awful when #1, but closed 3 majors

·
Registered
385 Posts

I mean, even as of today I just can't wrap my head around the fact that SHARAPOVA has won both Wimbledon and RG. She's the most one dimensional player that has ever played the sport and won two slams, really. How on earth did she manage to win two slams with that kind of game?
Now it looks more accurate. No need to thank me.

·
Registered
115,506 Posts

Right now is the best time to win a major. Since Serena left the tour after the 2017 AO,
Ostapenko, Muguruza, Stephens, Wozniacki, Halep, Kerber, Osaka, Barty, Andreescu won majors
9 different players in 11 majors.
If Andreescu stays mentally tough, the door is wide open to win a lot

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

Andreescu, Indian Wells, 6-0, 6-1... ‘Nuff said.

·
Registered
553 Posts

Andreescu, Indian Wells, 6-0, 6-1... ‘Nuff said.
Sometimes the ugly one with short and thick extremities wins. Which one would you swap with?

·
Registered
306 Posts

The biggest travesty is that The most one dimensional player out there has won 5 of them. And there's an even bigger travesty, she won at least 4 of them while on PEDS. And here's another one, bigger than the first two combined, that she was allowed to keep those undeserved and stolen titles, while in every other sport, like athtletics, gymnastics, cycling etc, when you are caught cheating like that, you are stripped from them. I'm not saying to handle those titles to the finalists she played against, it would be too useless and also unfair for her other opponents until those finals, whom she also cheated, but at least, they could've done the right thing and stripped the doper off her stolen titles. But at least there is hope that they'll keep her out of the Hall of Fame. They don't need spectators and sponsors there, they don't need her and her army of orcs.

·
Registered
531 Posts

I told it here so many times! YES! She is the biggest overachiever ever in this game. She never should had have even one, such a untalented player. So sad.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts