U.S. Open will be grand snoozer

No Williamses,
no Sampras;
so why should
we care about it?

COMMENTARY
By Amy Potter
NBCSPORTS.COM CONTRIBUTOR

Aug. 22 — The U.S. Open has taken a turn for the worse, and it hasn’t even started. For the first time since 1971, the Grand Slam tournament is without either defending champion, and both Williams sisters are out with injury. If Open officials were hoping for exciting, entertaining finals, they have an uphill battle. This thing could be a monumental bore.

PETE SAMPRAS, THE reigning men’s champion, won’t be reporting to New York next week. The star officially put away his professional racket on Friday, announcing his retirement.

Serena Williams withdrew in late July after realizing that a reoccurring left knee injury would require surgery. Venus followed her on the sidelines Friday, pulling out because of a lingering stomach muscle injury.
Without Serena and Venus, the dynamic of the entire championship changes dramatically — and not for the better. Without the sisters — the most exciting thing to happen to tennis in years — there is no reason to watch the women’s championship match.
“It’s just much more wide open without Serena in the field,” Lindsey Davenport said when she found out Serena would sit.
“It changes a lot. She would be the clear favorite of any Slam that we enter.”
That’s an understatement to say the least.
The world’s No. 1-ranked player, Serena has won five of the past six Slam tournaments — all against Venus — in a streak that began at the 2002 French Open and extended to Wimbledon last month. Her only loss came in this year’s French, when she was defeated in an emotional matchup against Justine Henin-Hardenne.

And there is absolutely no one who can fill Serena’s shoes.

The top seeds at this year’s Open are the feisty and talented Belgian duo of Kim Clijsters (No. 1 seed) and Henin-Hardenne (2). While both are undoubtedly top contenders, they’re a bore. While all of Belgium would eagerly flip to a Clijsters-Henin-Hardenne final, the rest of the world could care less.

Both youngsters have done little to capture the attention of the American tennis public. They aren’t outspoken and not nearly as eye-catching as tennis’ most famous foreigner, Anna Kournikova. They’ve thrown taunting words back and forth, but have never declared a rivalry.

Without Serena and Venus, the Americans have little more to offer. Lindsay Davenport is approaching retirement and Capriati has managed to stick around, but can’t shake things up.

All of a sudden, watching the men’s game isn’t looking too bad, even if Pete isn’t around.

This summer has been a snoozer for men’s tennis, but for once the men have the chance to steal the show at the U.S. Open. But only two scenarios will get non-tennis aficionados to watch.

If Andy Roddick — the young, attractive and emotional American — can make it to the finals and secure his first major title, you can be sure that viewers will watch.

If Andre Agassi can battle to victory despite aging joints, he’s a sure attention-getter. In light of Sampras’ recent retirement, it would be quite a story if his top American rival, Agassi was able to win a major at such a prime age.

U.S. Open organizers had better cross their fingers and hope that at least one, if not both, of these players make it to the finals. Because at this major tournament, no one is going to be watching, or caring, about what’s going on in the women’s matches.

I knew the interest in the tournament would dip becasue of V&S being absent, but this writer is kind of cold.

·
Registered
64 Posts
"Without Serena and Venus, the dynamic of the entire championship changes dramatically — and not for the better. Without the sisters — the most exciting thing to happen to tennis in years — there is no reason to watch the women’s championship match." :worship:

·
Registered
115,337 Posts
If NBC had this event instead of CBS, I doubt this article would be on this website.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
People who think there's no need to watch the women's matches should not watch them, end of story. I don't know why this woman needs to rant this much about it. :rolleyes:

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Doesn't she know there are more people in the world besides just in the US? Oh wait, I guess the US open success really does depend on people in the US. :eek: :eek:

I just hope the commentators do a good job spreading interest in new players and not just acting like the women don't even exist. Its a high possibility. Wow, I might actually have to type a nasty email asking them to show more foreign woman players? That would be a new one for me. :unsure:

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
What an excellent article, and just hours after Venus pulled out. Shows what the sisters mean to tennis. :worship:

·
35,894 Posts
whiteplains said:
Trust me, now that Vee and Rena are out...it will be the Agassi/Roddick Open...its going to be sickening
I know its going to be a big bore! :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Good Lord. It's people like this who are doing more damage to tennis than "lack of personalities", "no Americans dominating, "no rivalries", "too much power" etc. could ever do. Yep, that's article just the sort of thing that's going to change the public's attitude to foreign players, isn't it? Pure, 100% crap on a stick.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey if posters can bitch about all williams finals and how they are so boring. Williams sisters fan can complain about how the us open without serena and now venus will not be exciting.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whiteplains said:
Trust me, now that Vee and Rena are out...it will be the Agassi/Roddick Open...its going to be sickening
No because USA is telecasting the event, not ESPN (thank goodness!) along with CBS.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i couldnt think of anything worse than an all belguim final. especially if clijsters will freeze yet again.

·
35,894 Posts
gweeny said:
Hey if posters can bitch about all williams finals and how they are so boring. Williams sisters fan can complain about how the us open without serena and now venus will not be exciting.
No we can't! Opps, didn't you get the memo? :tape:

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
whiteplains said:
Your USTA employers need to focus on tennis! Sure the players are people, many quite interesting, but the game is bigger than any individual and their 10 or 12 years on (either) tour. This dumbass writer is like ppl who credit the 80's Bird-Magic rivalry for "saving" the NBA. (Guess what, if they hadn't come along, the league would have survived till a Michael did). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I felt that the article was terrible. Her opinion is not the opinion of eveyone who would watch the U.S. Open (even those who are living in the good 'ol U.S.A.).
While it's good to support your country and those who are representing your country - it's doesn't hurt to be knowledgeable about foreign players. After all...we're all human beings.

·
26,933 Posts
The "article" (rather "the pile of dog shit") is sickening USA-centered crap, and Amy Potter must be the dumbest cow in journalism, just behind Frank Delford or what's his name. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Thread title: No Williams, No Sampras, No Reason to Watch

No, the real reason to not watch is because this will become the Andy Roddick show. All of his matches, rebroadcast over and over and over; repeats complete with commentary from Brad "A-hole" Gilbert and maybe even Roddick "I'm the favorite for the Open" himself! Oh, I can't wait :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts