Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Keeper of Secrets
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of getting a MP3 player, at first I thought the Apple iPod... it's attractive and can hold a thousand songs, but is it worth $500 (that includes the extended warranty but no wired remote or dock) + I heard after a while you might have a problem with the battery and sometimes I like listening to the radio.

See all I really want is a mp3 player that can play 80+ songs, has a good battery life, have control over the playlists and be easy to use while I commute

Been to a couple of retail places and these are some of the recommendations
Panasonic e.wear Digital Audio Player (Model: SV-MP31)
JNC SSF-73
JNC SSF-33
Creative Labs : CDP009 Nomad MuVo2 - 1.5 GB

I'm just wondering if anyone would like to share their MP3 player experience or give me some advice :)

·
Team WTAworld, Superskyderen
13,888 Posts
I'm afraid I have no mp3 player experience... I wish I could help you out. :) I find this interesting though, as I would simply LOOOOOOVE an iPod. I've wanted one for a few months now... I know that they are expensive - I didn't know about the battery...

Yes, this is also interesting for me. :) I read about Sony launching a machine to rival the iPod - I believe it is coming out in a few months time... Will this machine tear me away from the iPod? *wonders* ;)

I hope that someone can be of help to you... :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
IPOD BATTERY IS A DISGRACE it lasts like 2 hours, 3 if your lucky!! its really annoying, but otherwise its quite good. just the battery which is bad, they say you get 8 hours, but thats probably playing 64kbps quality, no light, and at the possible lowest sound level.

Reactions: Chance and Majo

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
not sure where you got $500 from cuz it's not that expensive. this is assuming you are in the states...

you can get the 10 gb version at Target for about $279. that's around 3000 songs. you don't really need the dock to hook it up to your computer. all you need is the cable it comes with and a firewire card already in your machine.

the thing about the battery is, as with anything that uses a rechargable battery, is that it will eventually give out. i'd say within a year to two, it'll need to be replaced. Apple can do it as well as other businesses that's cropped up because of the need.

check out http://ipodlounge.com

even on apple.com, in the store section, if you look for the "special deals" link (should be a red tag on the left side), they have refurb ipods... 3rd generation 10 GB ipods for $199. you have to check periodically because they run out quickly. they have 20 GB for like $279.

I got my 2nd generation ipod from the special deals section for $169 back in October. It wasn't "refurb"... it was a new, never opened model. :D

good luck. wish I could advise you on other brands but the ipod is it, for me.

as for the sound, get some decent earphones and you'll be straight... rec's and such are at ipodlounge.

·
Registered
263 Posts
my iPod battery works fine! it does run down though even if you don't use it beacause it powers the date/time stuff to the second. if it runs down in a few hours then you should go get it exchanged or get a new battery. they first ones they came out it work GREAT and they don't even cost 100 bucks at target if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
how long does your last on continious play?
also do you have low sound, low bitrate level, no light, and dont skip tracks much?

·
Original Queen, Majestic V!
4,897 Posts
i have a 3 gen 40 gig ipod. i get aroung 8 hours of continous play on a full charge. the life of the battery depends on use, i've read 3-5 years.

the sound is great! you can control the the various compression formats to achieve the kind of sound you're comfortable with ... if you don't mind having fewer songs use the lossless codec.

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,728 Posts
JoeB_UK said:
IPOD BATTERY IS A DISGRACE it lasts like 2 hours, 3 if your lucky!! its really annoying, but otherwise its quite good. just the battery which is bad, they say you get 8 hours, but thats probably playing 64kbps quality, no light, and at the possible lowest sound level.
How long have you had yours cause that doesn't make any sense.

·
4,897 Posts
JoeB_UK said:
how long does your last on continious play?
also do you have low sound, low bitrate level, no light, and dont skip tracks much?
JoeB_UK ... http://www.ipodlounge.com/

check it out. your experience is way anomalous ... check the forum for ipod problems, even at the extremes your power issue is unusual. hope u're still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
hmmm i had myn, a few months before christmas!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The crappy part about the IPOD is when the battery finally goes out which will take about 14 months you have to send your Ipod back to apple and pay them $90 to replace your battery.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I have an ipod and I just LOVE it!
But yeah, it is really expensive and the battery runs out in about a year or two ( depending on use), which you have to fork money to get replaced. Also, the accessories are also quite expensive.Finally, it is pretty easily breakable, meaning you have to treat it like your baby, or it might end up in the recycle bin :lol: But other than that, it is definitely the best MP3 you could ever own. Great design, great sound, great adjustable stuffs + lights. Fit anywhere, and it can play up to 8 hours of music ( if you don't skip tracks or use the light)
The ipod is not that expensive. You can just get a 5GB or 10 gB for 100-200 dollars top. You should also check out Ebay : Great deals : my bro got one their and it is top notch.

·
4,897 Posts
nikerulz said:
The crappy part about the IPOD is when the battery finally goes out which will take about 14 months you have to send your Ipod back to apple and pay them $90 to replace your battery.
http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodminiinstall.html

a more affordable solution.

$29+ for the battery depending on the ipod version/generation.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
ico4498 said:
http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodminiinstall.html

a more affordable solution.

$29+ for the battery depending on the ipod version/generation.
Yeah but unless you are an expert with tools, you run high chances to screw up your whole ipod by changing the battery yourself , hence saving 70 something bucks so that you can lose 300 bucks lol

·
4,897 Posts
MinnyGophers said:
Yeah but unless you are an expert with tools, you run high chances to screw up your whole ipod by changing the battery yourself , hence saving 70 something bucks so that you can lose 300 bucks lol
expert with tools? using a screwdriver?

its a pretty simple procedure.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
ico4498 said:
expert with tools? using a screwdriver?

its a pretty simple procedure.
lol it looks simple but it is not trust me :) you can screw up your ipod really easy, I know from having seen my friends in action :lol:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i know it's a bit late... but i wanna help you out...

ipods are eye candy and hold a great amount of things... but does it really fulfill what you want to do with it... for most people, it does...

i have an i-river mp3 player... very small, light, holds around 80 songs (depends on what type you buy), runs on 1 AA battery that lasts for around 8 hours, flash memory...

when i was looking for an mp3 player almost 2 years ago, i wanted something that held enough music for a workout, (decent) car ride, or just to listen and chill to.

the i-river goes from a 128MB, 256MB, and a 512MB range... i have the 256...

i've had my i-river for almost 2 years (got it before it hit the market)... and i've had no complaints about it... very user friendly... comes with a nice set of earphones and a strap to put on your arm for the gym or working out...

not like the i-pod, the i-river runs on flash memory and has no moving/rotating discs in it.. the i-pod has a good buffer rate... and runs on a hard drive which makes it fragile... i've had friends drop their i-pods and it's not pretty... but drop an almost weighless i-river and no prob.

and now that it has dropped about $25-30 in price... an even better buy to go for the 512MB i-river. =)

if you want to look at it... i think the site is... www.iriveramerica.com
they actually have a lot of new models since i've last looked at their products....
but the model i have been praising is the iRiver iFP-395T 512MB

last i checked, the model i have (256MB model) went for about $175...

hope i helped you out... i just had to recommend this since i've had a great time with mine.
-spencer-

·
Keeper of Secrets
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
thanks guys for the feedback.

Evaspeed-if only you posted that about 2 weeks ago.... it sounds like a great product esp the playtime but the 256mb and 512mb is quite expensive over here, but thanks for posting your review :)

I ended up getting the ipod, I don't live in the states so that's probably why it's more expensive, I got a student discount-10% . I did my research on so many mp3 players that i got sick of it and realised what was the point of buying a mp3 players that was $250-$300 that only played approx 50-70 songs when I could spend $100 more and listen 100s of songs, so I bought it :D.. I got scared with some of the reviews I read on the net, it seemed like if you windows you had more problems with the ipod but it's sooo easy to use, on the first night i got it i was able to transfer 150 songs....i still wished it played fm radio and damn 8 hours is nothing.
My only real complaint is the battery/playtime... If i go over to a friend's place for the weekend and forget the charger it's pointless having the ipod.. so that's a downer, but aside from that I would recommend the ipod !

Next step is to buy a skin cover but they don't have purple :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts