Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to write an essay comparing the 1953 version of Titanic (Jean Negulesco’s) with the 1999 one (James Cameron's). Different aspects to be covered are: plot, characters, technical variations, etc. I also have to point out some similarities.

Could any of you give me some concrete pointers, or a website that has such information.

That would be a big help.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Hi, there!
When it comes to movies I often go to www.rottentomatoes.com : they have reviews for any movie you may think of, probably there won't be too many for the older one, but it might get you started. Hope that helps!

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
I haven't seen the 1953 version so if you have, maybe you could tell us what that's like.

However, generally, you can talk about how the story was told. I.e. from whose perspective was it told. The comparisons can also be made to how historically accurate the versions are.

I suppose another criteria is the genre. The 1997 version is mostly a romance, was the 1953 version more from a historical perspective?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy and Sam, thanks a lot. Sam, I've seen both films, but only dimly remember the 1953 version. The 1999 one is obviously fresh in my mind.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
ok ive never seen the older version but im guessing the genre has changed and the techniques have become more advanced. trust me im a walking encyclopaedia on james camerons titanic (was very young n stupid :rolleyes: )

ok so the genre i think was drama/romance and the other one was probably like factual to a point-not saying this one wasnt but it was focusing more along the storyline. i hav many books about it. the storyline was a bit more 'out there' than the older one. the ratings hav changed so it was a bit more on the 'deep' side. try using the big words to baffle teachers-they love it :p ;) -but if u hav a teacher who doesnt take any crap-dont try it

FYI-the crew actually went and interviewed a whole bunch of survivours from the real titanic which the other movie crew probably wouldnt have done. the more recent one had titanic experts working throughout the filming trying to get everything right-the details were imaculate.

the techniques were really good. they had the submarine and went down to the actual wreckage which couldnt have been done in the other one. This footage was used in the movie and methinks the older one still had the ship as being in one piece (they didnt know it was in two parts until only the early to late 90's:rolleyes: )try to write about the advancement in technlogy since the 50's and how it aided the film and was used in it.

the plot was very different. write about the storylines focusing on the leading up to the sinking and the cutural views about men and women at the time (i.e women having to do everything their husband said, and 'women and children first'.) the romance between jack and rose being more involved than the other one would hav been. the other version would hav just skimmed over the surface. Mostly other more older titanic films were concentrating on the actual sinking rather than a particular storyline like james camerons one did.

as i said i havent seen the older version so i wouldnt know the similarities othe than it was about the same ship :p
the camera angles and such were different-and it was in colour.

hope this helps :kiss: if its not-disregard all of this :p

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
:wavey: I havn't seen the Old one for at least 10 years...biggest difference is the New one focussed more on a love story than the actual ship going down. The old version was possibly a toy ship in a fish tank with ice-cubes LOL...massive difference is the use of technology and budgets. Computer animation a massive difference :wavey:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts