Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
He's right. It took a lot of hard work to help Serena achieve more after 2012. She had gotten old and lost motivation. If it wasn't for him coming around, Serena could have retired already.

·
Registered
81,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
He's right. It took a lot of hard work to help Serena achieve more after 2012. She had gotten old and lost motivation. If it wasn't for him coming around, Serena could have retired already.
It wa not " him coming around" it was Dimitrov who introduced both of them and it was Serena who wants to try something different after years only with Daddy & Oracene ( and that Bajin).

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
He IS right if you look at her consistency before/after him but attributing Serena's success this decade to him alone is quite ridiculous. How much of it was due to the gradual disappearance of HOFers from the game (e.g. the Belgians), or far more importantly, a healthy period for Serena with little niggling injuries (2012-2017)?

But MouRAToglou will give himself all the praise in the world.
That's the thing! He talked about her being #1 for so long but Serena actually played more tour events and pushed herself at tour event from 2012-2014 then she did other times in her career. She use to only care about the Slams and since 2015 she has backed off to that focus again.

Her US Open '08- Run to Wimbledon '10 run was impressive. She won them all except the French Open and the Foot fault US Open. She wasn't as good on clay and had those mental demons and those were still QF loses. Then after Wimbledon 2010 is when all the health issues started.

Which leads to another point. You can't ignore the extra motivation, desire, and drive she had in tennis after almost losing her life. She appreciated it alot more.

Then when you look at other things. Outside of the years she didn't win a slam (2000, 2001, 2006, 2011) 2014 was her worst Slam performance year. 1st week exits. She has the same amount of Grand Slam finals with him then before him but both times with him they were back to back final in the same year!

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
This guy :lol:

The whole reason he gets to take credit for her late career surge is because she paced herself in her 20s.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I knew what the "source" was before I clicked on the thread

TW USA and its associated sites should be banned from the Internet for conjuring up these headlines

·
Registered
176 Posts
He needs his Academy to thrive and being Serena's coach is the only thing he can sell for that to happen. The guy will be a wash once Serena rides off into the sunset :lol:
I'm quite certain that Naomi Osaka will try to recruit him once Serena retires. If hiring Serena's hitting partner as a coach worked so well, hiring her actual coach should lead to amazing results. At least that's how Naomi's team will see it.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
There are 5 years between 2003 and 2008 vs 2 years between 2010 and 2012 and 1 year between 2013 and 2014... I see no real slump in Patrick's period, maybe mini-slumps when she was still number 1.
And the fact that Serena was in her 30s in 2010s. In my opinion, there's no comparison. During PM era she overachieved.
Serena was trying to break into hollywood between 2003-2008. Cant compare them. Fact is shes still won more slams pre patrick and with much better competition. 13>10.

·
Banned
4,165 Posts
Seems to me Naomi stopped with Bajin because she realized she DIDN'T...want Serena's life.

And that's understandable. What's the point of trying to race to 25 slams for people that just shit on you for your entire career?

Naomi's right...the point is to be happy in whatever you do.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
She won four slams in the 2009-2010 season then almost died and missed a year from the tour. "Had gotten old and lost motivation?":confused:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Seems to me Naomi stopped with Bajin because she realized she DIDN'T...want Serena's life.

And that's understandable. What's the point of trying to race to 25 slams for people that just shit on you for your entire career?

Naomi's right...the point is to be happy in whatever you do.
I think Naomi's split with Bajin goes way more deeper than just that or being happy whatever it is. We never know. And every players have their own fair share of haters. I would like to say that almost every players on WTA tour now are being shitted since the beginning of their career and up to now. :shrug: It's part of being in the spotlight. Look at Naomi, every now and then people keep trying to bring her down by saying she's struggling et cetera et cetera..

I guess, the only way to be happy for them is to appreciate fans & haters as it is. Nothing more, nothing less. That way they can have their own peace of mind. Fans & haters only related to their tennis career, not their life :yeah:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I understand what he's saying, but I wish he'd wait until she retires to speak so openly about their coaching relationship. Serena was hyper motivated coming back from her blood clot and after losing the US Open final in 2011. Patrick introduced some new elements to her game no doubt - she played with much more margin and her fitness in 2012-2013 was nearly peak - but those were also two of her healthiest years on tour. In 2010 she was playing injured but at a very high level, and there was already a sense that her game, specifically her serve and hitting, was beginning to mature past relying as much on her athleticism and more on her technical prowess.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Serena was trying to break into hollywood between 2003-2008. Cant compare them. Fact is shes still won more slams pre patrick and with much better competition. 13>10.
13 slams in 13 years in your prime 20s are better than 10 in 5 years in your 30s? :haha:
She was done and going to retire around 2012. Patrick made her success happen.
Which Hollywood? What are you talking about? :spit:

·
Registered
81,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
7,427 Posts
Patrick having a point and being an egocentric attention-seeker are not mutually exclusive, you know? If people accepted that, we could have skipped some of the debate in this thread. :SNE:

·
Registered
81,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 67 Posts