Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the list of the players who have performed the most upsets this year (upset defined as beating a player ranked above them at the time).

Victoria Azarenka
Serena Williams

Sybille Bammer
Alicia Molik
Lucie Safarova
Julia Vakulenko

Ana Ivanovic
Ioana Raluca Olaru
Virginie Razzano

Vera Dushevina
Daniela Hantuchova
Emilie Loit
Anabel Medina Garrigues
Shahar Peer

Alona Bondarenko
Greta Arn
Vasilisa Bardina
Maria Elena Camerin
Catalina Castano
Dominika Cibulkova
Jill Craybas
Jelena Jankovic
Michaella Krajicek
Li Na
Tzipora Obziler
Yaroslava Shvedova
Samantha Stosur
Meilen Tu
Venus Williams
Roberta Vinci

Sorana Cirstea
Alize Cornet
Nathalie Dechy
Tatiana Golovin
Laura Granville
Jelena Kostanic Tosic
Elena Likhovtseva
Nuria Llagostera Vives
Tamira Paszek
Julia Schruff
Milagros Sequera
Carloine Wozniacki
Vera Zvonareva

Iveta Benesova
Ekaterina Bychkova
Eleni Daniilidou
Gisela Dulko
Sara Errani
Yuliana Fedak
Kateryna Bondarenko
Karin Knapp
Anne Kremer
Yvonne Meusburger
Sania Mirza
Aiko Nakamura
Nicole Pratt
Aravane Rezai
Anastassia Rodionova
Maria Emilia Salerni
Mara Santangelo
Olga Savchuk
Milagros Sequera
Karolina Sprem
Nathalie Vierin

I'll keep updating this list periodically throughout the season.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Re: Most Upsets 2007 - through Berlin/Prague

Serena was ranked nowhere so no surprise there, Justine is not there too because who is she going to defeat? Rank 0? I saw some rank 0 during YEC at the WTA activity pages :lol:
Good performances by Safarova, Bammer, Peer, Ivanovic etc. :)

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I was most surprised by how close Azarenka is to Serena. She has really been able to step it up this year.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

lol @ serena lol...she should be no.1!!!

·
I've got this feeling...
5,162 Posts

Yeah Azarenka's "Upsets" are against players rank from 80-50 Nice from Serena, Bepa Z has done well with wins over Sharapova Hantuchova....

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah Azarenka's "Upsets" are against players rank from 80-50 Nice from Serena, Bepa Z has done well with wins over Sharapova Hantuchova....
Not all. Her upsets have been over: 73, 21, 52, 30, 74, 30, 59, 26, 50, 30, and 49
It's all relative anyway. It just indicates that she is on her way up as she is consistently beating players ranked above her.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,735 Posts

Very intriging list but I think Azarenka is only at 10, not 11. When she played Tanasugarn she was actually ranked 66 to Tammy's 68. Also I believe Yari Shvedova should be at six, Tanasugarn, Mirza, Obziler, Santangelo, Ivanovic and Bremond.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Very intriging list but I think Azarenka is only at 10, not 11. When she played Tanasugarn she was actually ranked 66 to Tammy's 68. Also I believe Yari Shvedova should be at six, Tanasugarn, Mirza, Obziler, Santangelo, Ivanovic and Bremond.
[List is updated because Serena has 11 and not 12 - I accidentally counted 7 AO upsets instead of 6]

In response, I have Azarenka's upsets as:

Australian Open: 94 Azarenka d. 73 Fedak; 94 Azarenka d. 21 Bartoli
Indian Wells: 78 Azarenka d. 52 Loit; 78 Azarenka d. 30 Zheng
Miami: 76 Azarenka d. 74 Tanasugarn; 76 Azarenka d. 30 Medina Garrigues
Estoril: 68 Azarenka d. 59 Razzano; 68 Azarenka d. 26 Schiavone; 68 Azarenka d. 50 Dulko; 68 Azarenka d. 30 Safarova;
Prague: 68 Azarenka d. 49 Dechy

I have Shvedova's upsets as:

Bangalore: 133 Shvedova d. 86 Tanasugarn; 133 Shvedova d. 49 Mirza; 133 Shvedova d. 38 Santangelo
Miami: 83 Shvedova d. 14 Ivanovic
Amelia Island: Shvedova d. Bremond

As for the win over Obziler, by the rankings used for that event, Shvedova was ranked 133 and Obziler was ranked 139.

Thanks for the input though, and if anyone else catches an error please let me know.

·
36,735 Posts

[List is updated because Serena has 11 and not 12 - I accidentally counted 7 AO upsets instead of 6]

In response, I have Azarenka's upsets as:

Australian Open: 94 Azarenka d. 73 Fedak; 94 Azarenka d. 21 Bartoli
Indian Wells: 78 Azarenka d. 52 Loit; 78 Azarenka d. 30 Zheng
Miami: 76 Azarenka d. 74 Tanasugarn; 76 Azarenka d. 30 Medina Garrigues
Estoril: 68 Azarenka d. 59 Razzano; 68 Azarenka d. 26 Schiavone; 68 Azarenka d. 50 Dulko; 68 Azarenka d. 30 Safarova;
Prague: 68 Azarenka d. 49 Dechy

I have Shvedova's upsets as:

Bangalore: 133 Shvedova d. 86 Tanasugarn; 133 Shvedova d. 49 Mirza; 133 Shvedova d. 38 Santangelo
Miami: 83 Shvedova d. 14 Ivanovic
Amelia Island: Shvedova d. Bremond

As for the win over Obziler, by the rankings used for that event, Shvedova was ranked 133 and Obziler was ranked 139.

Thanks for the input though, and if anyone else catches an error please let me know.
I think I understand what you have done. The rankings used by the tournaments for things like seedings are inevitably one week old. An upset should be based on the rankings at the time of the event not the week before. If you take a look at these two links perhaps you will making a couple of changes.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=312001

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=311137

·
36,735 Posts

If you have been using ranking from the tournaments which are one week old there will be the occassional error occuring. For example the current Italian Open will have Kanepi ranked at 54 and Dominguez-Lino at 66. However this week Kanepi has fallen to 61 and Dominguez-Lino has risen to 60. So Kanepi's defeat of Dominguez-Lino in the 1st round this week should count as an upset, giving Kanepi her 3rd upset of the year and putting her onto your list.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts

yey! Molik, Cornet and Zvonareva are all on the list! All though Serena and Alicia are kind of cheaters cause they have both been ranked much lower than they should be right now!

·
Registered
10,890 Posts

This is a fun list, but it really just goes to show that upsets are relative and rankings are more of a guide than anything else. Serena was considered to have upset Petrova, Jankovic, & Sharapova at the AO, but we all know now those were no upsets. Jankovic beating Vaidisova in Sydney was an upset by the rankings at the time, but wouldn't be now.

·
36,735 Posts

This is a fun list, but it really just goes to show that upsets are relative and rankings are more of a guide than anything else. Serena was considered to have upset Petrova, Jankovic, & Sharapova at the AO, but we all know now those were no upsets. Jankovic beating Vaidisova in Sydney was an upset by the rankings at the time, but wouldn't be now.
That is certainly true. So often what looks like a suprising result at the time turns into a completely predictable looking result with a few months hindsight.

I still do believe however that if these stats are going to mean anything they need to be based on the rankings at the time of the match.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Interesting stats, other than Serena currently (come on, she was never a true 81!) Shahar is the highest ranked player who caused most upsets.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That is certainly true. So often what looks like a suprising result at the time turns into a completely predictable looking result with a few months hindsight.

I still do believe however that if these stats are going to mean anything they need to be based on the rankings at the time of the match.
I disagree. If the rankings of the week before are used for the seedings, they should also be used for the rest of the players in the tournament. If you use the current rankings for the rest of the players, but still use the previous week's to seed the players it does not make any sense. In that case it would be possible for an unranked player to beat the #8 seed and have it not be an upset if they moved ahead of that player that week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts