Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most un sportman, unsportwoman like behavior you have witnessed?

I would say Justine's infamous hand incident.

Sharapova's come-ons for opponents doublefaults and errors.

On the men's definitely Hewitts similiar behavior.

What about you guys?

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I remember one incident where Safina got really aggressive towards Zheng Jie for challenging a line call, and then was offensive to members of the crowd that were cheering for Jie when they asked Safina for her autograph. That was pretty unsporting i guess

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
By far not giving your opponent the credit he or she deserves after you've lost a match is the type of unsportsmanlike conduct that bothers me the most. As for trash talk before (but NOT after) a match,arguing line calls,come-ons and such,well,that's competition,ain't it? It's as much a mental game as a physical one. :smoke:

beall420 said:
What is the most un sportman, unsportwoman like behavior you have witnessed?

Sharapova's come-ons for opponents doublefaults and errors.

On the men's definitely Hewitts similiar behavior.

What about you guys?

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
Nothing mentioned so far sounds too bad. McEnroe used to cause a scene that would stop the match for 10 minutes.
And he did it when his opponent was playing well.

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
goldenlox said:
Nothing mentioned so far sounds too bad. McEnroe used to cause a scene that would stop the match for 10 minutes.
And he did it when his opponent was playing well.
Which is the best time to do it of course ;) :smoke:

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Chrissie-fan said:
By far not giving your opponent the credit he or she deserves after you've lost a match is the type of unsportsmanlike conduct that bothers me the most. As for trash talk before (but NOT after) a match,arguing line calls,come-ons and such,well,that's competition,ain't it? It's as much a mental game as a physical one. :smoke:

We know exactly where you are coming from. If you don't call that hand thing unsportsmanlike but condemn someone for not praising an opponent because she did not give her opponent credit for beating her then something is definitely wrong with you.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
beall420 said:
I remember that match but not that hand incident everybody tlak about :rolleyes:
Could u say more about it? :p

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
icequeen said:
We know exactly where you are coming from. If you don't call that hand thing unsportsmanlike but condemn someone for not praising an opponent because she did not give her opponent credit for beating her then something is definitely wrong with you.
I didn't say it wasn't unsportsmanlike. I said it didn't bother me. :smoke:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
justine's hand "NOT incident"

sprem not acknowledging wimbledon 2004 bad call against venus.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Spunky83 said:
"Selective Memory - Part I: She won afterall, didn´t she?" ;)
:lol:

Something that's always bothered me is how the Williams never acknowledge their opponents in their losses.

But I don't really care that much.

Reactions: goldenlox

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Serena was serving to justine and justine raised her hand to signal for Serena to wait. Serena did not see and served the ball anyway. She must have noticed somewhere during her service motion justine hand and she faulted. This was a double fault and she lost the point. Serena asked the umpire to allow them to replay the point since justine ahd her hand up but justine when asked point blank by the ref denied having held her hand up. Serena went on to lose the match and cried and was very upset in the post match interview.

When they met later in the summer at wimbledon serena demolished justine in 40 minutes making her look like an ameuter. Roddick even commented on how he wanted to watch the match but he went to the bathroom and when he came out it was over.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
beall420 said:
Serena was serving to justine and justine raised her hand to signal for Serena to wait. Serena did not see and served the ball anyway. She must have noticed somewhere during her service motion justine hand and she faulted. This was a double fault and she lost the point. Serena asked the umpire to allow them to replay the point since justine ahd her hand up but justine when asked point blank by the ref denied having held her hand up. Serena went on to lose the match and cried and was very upset in the post match interview.

When they met later in the summer at wimbledon serena demolished justine in 40 minutes making her look like an ameuter. Roddick even commented on how he wanted to watch the match but he went to the bathroom and when he came out it was over.
I really don't think Roddick should be commenting on how fast matches go by. :tape:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Hingis crossing over the net to Graf's side of the court

Spirlea, bumping Venus then laughing about it w/her lover/coach

Jennifer droping F-bombs at the Umpire

Justine the Hand-Henin-H

%90 of the Riotuous crowd at IW

McEnroe

Nastase

Conners

Hewitt's race baiting at the Us Open

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Chrissie-fan said:
I didn't say it wasn't unsportsmanlike. I said it didn't bother me. :smoke:
For someone who wants to be on the side of virtue and tennis ettiquete, this statement is very contradictory. To say that a show of unsportsmanship behaviour which has some bearing on a match, doesn't bother you but not giving credit does, is warped thinking. You can't have it both ways, try and be consistent or you are just a plain hypocrit and even Jesus himself detests hypocrits.

If a player wins a match what the opponent has to say after has no bearing on the win at all. It is clear for the veiwers who saw the match to decide for themselves how such a match was decided. I don't think anyone should rely on others to validate their win or loss. On the other hand. if cheating was implemented to obtain a win that is dishonorable under any
circumstances and in any language. There is no one with good character and a clear concience who can defend that. People with good character stand up strongly for what is right at all times and not when it is convenient.

Justine did this when millions were watching, therefore I wouldn't even imagine what she would do when no one was watching.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts