Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorites that don’t get talked about enough is Henin/Myskina. Yes, the infamous Olympic SF from which Nastia never recovered is probably their most dramatic, but these two actually played a bunch of high-quality matches, including the final of Eastbourne in 2006. I think that finished in a TB? And one of my favorite battles between this two is the oft-forgotten RR match in the 2002 YEC, a massive HL reel for which just landed on YT.

I’m also a big fan of the Woz/Maria matches, too. Two tough competitors that play like they hate each other. (Maybe they do?)

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,983 Posts
Myskina in general is super underrated on this forum. It's a shame she wasn't in the top 10 for all that long, she had so much potential and I've watched a lot of Myskina match highlights on youtube lately and they're just wonderful!

Capriati-Mauresmo is also an underrated matchup.
There's been a lot of very good Russian players over the years, some I liked a lot, some not so much. But Nastya is my alltime favourite Russian by a good margin, no question. She was such a graceful, stylish and smart player and she moved like a gazelle.

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
9,041 Posts
There's been a lot of very good Russian players over the years, some I liked a lot, some not so much. But Nastya is my alltime favourite Russian by a good margin, no question. She was such a graceful, stylish and smart player and she moved like a gazelle.
Whether she deserved to be a multi slam winner, I don't know, but I would have loved to see her stay longer on tour and at the top level. She could have had several good slam runs, especially at Wimbledon, but her game was one of the more aesthetically pleasing and she was a very smart player, she used the court better than most too. It's a shame we didn't get to see more from her.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
I really like Venus vs. Kerber. Canada 2014 being the best between the two, but Venus trying to hit through Kerber every rally and Angelique ceding the baseline and willing to try to absorb Venus hitting every ball as hard as she can for 2+ hours is just peak WTA.

They've had quite a few close battles.
YES that was such a good match. I remember thinking 'oh dear, here we go' after the 12 minute long opening game. 😂

I like this matchup too, have actually seen it in person (and it lives up) but as a Venus fan it sours it a bit that you can really tell she hates having to play Kerber in a draw whilst Kerber LOVES playing Venus (it almost always parlays her into a new patch of good form lol). 😭 It's great for the reasons you stated, though.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
YES that was such a good match. I remember thinking 'oh dear, here we go' after the 12 minute long opening game. 😂

I like this matchup too, have actually seen it in person (and it lives up) but as a Venus fan it sours it a bit that you can really tell she hates having to play Kerber in a draw whilst Kerber LOVES playing Venus (it almost always parlays her into a new patch of good form lol). 😭 It's great for the reasons you stated, though.
Legendary highlight reel lmao. Kerber is a nightmare opponent for Venus. Venus' inside out forehand in this match though... 🤤.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
One of my favorites that don’t get talked about enough is Henin/Myskina. Yes, the infamous Olympic SF from which Nastia never recovered is probably their most dramatic, but these two actually played a bunch of high-quality matches, including the final of Eastbourne in 2006. I think that finished in a TB? And one of my favorite battles between this two is the oft-forgotten RR match in the 2002 YEC, a massive HL reel for which just landed on YT.

I’m also a big fan of the Woz/Maria matches, too. Two tough competitors that play like they hate each other. (Maybe they do?)
I remember fans (or rather stans) of Sharapova being ultra pressed & sour when Wozniacki dared to beat her, lol. Their behaviour was worse than after any other losses of Sharapova I swear.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,983 Posts
I saw Monica Niculescu play Magda Rybarikova on numerous occasions. I saw all three of the matches at Wimbledon (one of them a qualifying match played at Roehampton) live and I watched a couple of others on livefeeds. The pair of them really brought out the best in each other and the points would be a crazy mix of slices, dropshots, volleys, great retrieving, lobs, crazy improvised shots.... basically everything and the kitchen sink thrown in for good measure. It was tennis but not as it is usually played. :bowdown::eek2::hatoff: Seriously these matches were always so much fun to watch and whoever won I always watched them with a sense of both delight and sheer awe and a massive smile on my face.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
I saw Monica Niculescu play Magda Rybarikova on numerous occasions. I saw all three of the matches at Wimbledon (one of them a qualifying match played at Roehampton) live and I watched a couple of others on livefeeds. The pair of them really brought out the best in each other and the points would be a crazy mix of slices, dropshots, volleys, great retrieving, lobs, crazy improvised shots.... basically everything and the kitchen sink thrown in for good measure. It was tennis but not as it is usually played. :bowdown::eek2::hatoff: Seriously these matches were always so much fun to watch and whoever won I always watched them with a sense of both delight and sheer awe and a massive smile on my face.
Cool I envy you!

• Love
Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
Q Wang, Kontaveit, Badosa
176 Posts
Always thought Radwanska v Peng was a very underrated h2h. Their matches mostly went the distance. 2011 AO 4R still annoys me 10 years later.

Reactions: okay888

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Halep/Kerber

The shotmaking and intensity is almost as good as Azarenka/Kerber, but the matches are far more competitive, Their 2018 AO semifinal (9-7 in the the third set for Halep with match points on both sides) will only become more legendary with time.

Kerber will go down as one of the most unique players in the history of women’s tennis. An elite counterpuncher who is generally at a slight disadvantage against other elite counterpunchers, but has the best game to beat the big hitters.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts

You are absolutely right. After a lackluster start in 2019, Kerber nearly won Indian Wells, jump started by a close win against Venus in the quarters.

It was hilarious to watch Venus change her tactics and try to loop the ball up high and slow point after point (Angie must have been cackling inside).

It is truly depressing to realize that we will likely never see any more classic Kerber/Williams sisters match ups. The 2019 Indian Wells quarterfinal with Venus was probably the last hurrah.

·
Registered
117,742 Posts
This is a good question because the mens side had great rivalries, like Djokovic/Federer/Nadal matches
I'm trying to think of who I wanted to see play each other. They are so inconsistent, it depends when they play
Maybe Pliskova/Pegula, but I got the idea in the match Pliskova won, Pegula can get her serve back and that nullifies Pliskova
When Andreescu won 2019 USO, IW & Rogers Cup after Osaka won 2018 US Open & IW, I wanted to see that, which happened in China, and I posted here that you should enjoy it because they wont play often. There are no wta rivalries
Look what happened. Andreescu is almost a memory and Osaka won only 4 matches since March

• Sad
Reactions: Grafiati

·
Registered
567 Posts
Azarenka/Sharapova

There is so much unadulterated, distilled pure hatred between these two. I think if they can tear each other to shreds they certainly would. Azarenka really relished humiliating Pova in that AO final. It was a sadistic display. And then Pova got back at her a few months later in Stuttgart with the infamous 'extremely injured' comment.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts