Tennis Forum banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Zhao said:
Venus shouting st the umpire after a non-call at 98 Wimbledon against jana

i saw it......she saw it......everybody saw it...Only u DIN SEE IT!!!! and then she :sad: :sad:
No she never did. Did she really lose. I have never heard Venus shout not even come on

·
Veelieve!!!
32,892 Posts
cool bird said:
No she never did. Did she really lose. I have never heard Venus shout not even come on

Oh yes she did. I actually miss that Venus. These days she never let stupid calls bother her. She plays like she has ice running through her veins :eek:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Oh yes, she deffinitely did. I think it was because of that, and the AO '99 incident that she decided to be so cool and reserved on court.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Marta Marrero in Miami earlier this year changed attire on court in front of the spectators.

Didn't Thomas Muster change underwear and shorts on court once?

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
well, everyone is the wta is too polite these days. good thing justine is stirring up a bit of controversy!more fun!

but i cant believe nobody has mentioned the latest one!

cincinatti masters 2003, David Nalbandian def Roger Federer 7-6 7-6. david was taking too much time between federer's serve and the umpire told him that he had to be on court as soon as the opponent was ready to serve. david was like "where does it say that?" and the umpire replied "um, in the rulebook". i was ROTF!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
xan said:
I've often got annoyed at Arantxa (and some others) for obvious "gamesmanship" such as moonballing, shoelace tying, questioning obvious ok calls, holding up the server etc. It's often been effective on less experienced players.
Moonballing is not 'gamesmanship', it is a legitimate tactic. If the other player can't handle a change of pace or work out how to play against moonballs then thats their problem. In 1996 against Habsudova, Arantxa moonballed so much the French Open crowd booed during rallies and booed her off court, but she won.

At 1996 Palermo Irina Spirlea became the first woman to be thrown out of a tournament. In Ace magazine it says she "questioned a line call with a series of curses that questioned, among other things, the umpire's eyesight, birthright and manhood. After a lengthy rebuke from the umpire, she looked at him square in the eye and said 'Go fu*k yourself!" When she was kicked out she gave the crowd the finger amid boos :lol: Go Irina! A year later of course she bumped Venus.

And after a match against Brad Gilbert which McEnroe lost, John went up into the stands to argue with some of Brad's fans that had been cheering loudly during the match and had to be restrained.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found this thread again after noticing it had gone into oblivion.
Some great comments.
I only saw Helen Kelesi play once, Wimbledon 1993 in the 2nd round vs Rachel McQuillan. Helen was so appalling, I was stunned! Her grunt was phenomenal, she would increase its intensity the longer the point was & the more desperate she became. Set point was very controversial. Kelesi had led Rachel 6-1 in the TB, when it got back to 6-5. The 2 exchanged in a long rally, then Rachel approached the net, Helen tried to pass her, Rachel hit a volley which made Helen lunge in the corner. She let out a hugh wail but managed to get the ball back. It went over Rachel's head & the 1st set was awarded to Kelesi. Rachel then asked the umpire about the cdubious call on the volley. The umpire indicated the ball was in, & the lineswoman had not called anything. So, Rachel thought Helen's grunt had been an out call & didn't proceed to go for the smash on the lob. Helen won 7-6 6-4, but didn't garner too much support on match point. Rachel's forehand only just clipped the line & Helen yelled during the point 'Nice Friggin bounce'. Rachel then proceeded to hit the next shot into the net.
Apparently Helen carried on like this during fed cup, although she didn't see eye to eye with her teammates.
I have heard that Tara Snyder is also developing a reputation for trying to intimidate her opponents. Didn't work on Kristina Brandi recently, who told Tara to 'get on with the match, I gotta meet my sister for dinner tonight' in a recent US Challenger, which Brandi ended up winnig 6-2 6-3

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks for bumpin' this up Lindsay_lee I missed it the first time around and it was a good read!

A lot of the mathches I actually saw like the Pete vs. Alex (with Pete barely able to stay on court and throwing up in the flower on court), Venus and the bead incident, Venus in tears at Wimby, the "bump" incident, Anna at tears in Wimby, Steffi vs Martina- this one had all sorts of drama (the crossing of the net, the crowd, the tears, the uderhand serve, the pushing of the WTA official at the end of the match).

I also remeber Alex Coretcha (sp?) serving and hitting a bird in midair- the poor bird lied lifeless on the court and it was the freakest thing.

There was a match with Andre and I can't remember the opponent but Andre was getting increasingly pissed off because his opponent kept throwing the ball up to serve but then would catch it repeatedly before actually serving. Andre got so bothered by it that he started doing the same thing just to piss his opponent off. It got to a point where it was ridicullous but funny, nonetheless.

There was another match (sorry can't rember the players) and both ladies had the hardest time serving. They both had more than their usual number of double faults. Well after the match was over it was discovered that the lines for the court were all out of whack and not standard regulation. It turns out that the service line distance was cut significantly.

Ashley and Daniella's match at Wimby was full of emotions and very memorable as well- maybe not shocking, but definately memorable....

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
At this years Eastbroune qualifying, during her loss to British Amanda Janes, a very frustrated Magui Serna stopped, glared at some old people who were talking (but not that loudly) in the crowd and personally shouted, "Silence, please" at them.

Has anyone metioned when the then Anna Smashnova hit a spectator whilst aiming a ball at, I think it was her opponents boyfriend, at Wimbledon a few years back and narrowly avoided being disqualified after she immediately burst into tears.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,169 Posts
Ahhhhh...the WTA Tour is such a soap opera!!! :worship:

101 - 115 of 115 Posts