Tennis Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Althea Gibson broke her strap at the French in 1956 vs her doubles partner. It exposed a good part of her until her opponent (and doubles partner) covered her up as they ran off court.

[email protected] Ted Tinling: again. late 50s (1957)

Shirley Bloomer, world ranked #3, snapping the waistband of a blue tennis underskirt. It fell to the ground during a Wightman Cup match on Wimbledon's grandstand. 5,000 male spectators shouted "more. more" as she calmly stepped out of it."

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
May Sutton was shocking for her time (the early 1900s).

May was the first foreign woman to win Wimbledon in 1905. After winning the US title in 1904 she never bothered to return, though she could have won several.

By 1910 Hazel Wightman was the US champ, but Sutton had never lost to her. Both were from opposite parts of California. Thousands came to watch what became the first "bitch" matches in women's tennis history.

It started with the warmups, where May socked every ball out of Hazel's reach. "The umpire told her, 'Miss Sutton, you are not supposed to hold up play.' She said, "If you don't like the way I play, I won't play anymore."

The first time May lost to Hazel she walked directly off the court without shaking hands. They shoke hands only because Hazel ran her down before she walked off!

The next time they faced each other May walked off court after splitting two sets. She told (not asked) the umpire she wanted some hot tea and would be waiting for it in the clubhouse. Wightman and the crowd waited 20 minutes for her.

When May returned she won. California papers debated the merits and morals of May's gamesmanship for months and women's tennis got more attention than ever:)

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
99 French Final

Pete Throwing up on court

Hewitt's racist remarks at the US Open

The bump!

Seles Stabbing(Saddest day in tennis history)

The Korean(?) guy who cramped up fell to the court and got no assistance.

·
***** Emeritus
44,646 Posts
Rollo said:
May Sutton was shocking for her time (the early 1900s).

May was the first foreign woman to win Wimbledon in 1905. After winning the US title in 1904 she never bothered to return, though she could have won several.

By 1910 Hazel Wightman was the US champ, but Sutton had never lost to her. Both were from opposite parts of California. Thousands came to watch what became the first "bitch" matches in women's tennis history.

It started with the warmups, where May socked every ball out of Hazel's reach. "The umpire told her, 'Miss Sutton, you are not supposed to hold up play.' She said, "If you don't like the way I play, I won't play anymore."

The first time May lost to Hazel she walked directly off the court without shaking hands. They shoke hands only because Hazel ran her down before she walked off!

The next time they faced each other May walked off court after splitting two sets. She told (not asked) the umpire she wanted some hot tea and would be waiting for it in the clubhouse. Wightman and the crowd waited 20 minutes for her.

When May returned she won. California papers debated the merits and morals of May's gamesmanship for months and women's tennis got more attention than ever:)

lmfao :D Can you imagine the title of the threads in here if May would be playing today ;)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
oddkayla said:
Dont you all miss the "old" Venus sometimes? Actually I miss all the bad mouthing these players used to do. Nowadays everyone is so proper and too polite!

Grandslammed, i did not know that Venus said that. I actually LOL at "She must not have heard me say it"!

Sigh...the WTA! Such a Soap opera.

Does anyone remember the stare down between Capriati and Venus, I think it was at the Ericcson last year? Capriati lost and Johnny Mac said it was because she had blinked. Only in the WTA!
It was USopen '01 right after Serena had defeated Martina in 52 minutes to hand her her worst lost ever at usopen.........

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
There was an earlier incident involving Agassi when he was still in his teens and had all the long hair and the psycadillac clothes. He got so angry over a line call that he spit at the umpire's chair and was defaulted from the match.

He claimed he was just clearing his throat and hadn't meant to spit directly at the chair, but since he was just in a great big argument with the umpire, his excuse did not hold water.

Out he went. And since, as already posted, he was tossed out in '99 or there abouts in San Jose for swearing at a linesman, getting a warning, then going back and swearing at him again and getting the boot, he is the only player I can think of who has twice been thrown out of matches.

McEnroe I know was booted once for bad behavior and booted another time at the US Open for failing to show up for a doubles match on time.

·
Registered
504 Posts
does anyone remember an incident when sampras was throwing up in a match, think it was against agassi? i remember it vaguely.

martina hingis for me, i still remember it like it was yesterday.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
Some Italian player got defaulted from a match at a $25000 ITF in Edinburgh a few years ago for swearing at the umpire and giving him the middle finger. And didn't Zvereva once give the crowd the bird during a match with Kournikova? :confused:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Jen'sFan said:
does anyone remember an incident when sampras was throwing up in a match, think it was against agassi? i remember it vaguely.

martina hingis for me, i still remember it like it was yesterday.

That was against Alex C., Pete won the match, he also hit a second serve ace.

·
Registered
251 Posts
On Martina Hingis.

1) She got a bad call and she knew it (also Steffie knew it but didn't have the balls to be fair).
2) The kid was 18 years old. lets give her a break. I really don't think Martina knew the penalty for crossing to the other side.
3) Micheal Chang served underhand and never got critizied like Martina did.
4) From the minute she stepped into the lions den at the FO, she not only had Steffie to deal with but also the vulters that were against her. (They loved Steffie because she felt sooo French).
5) Lets give credit to Martina. If that had been me, I would have tiped my hat with my middle finger to the lions and walked out without a word of acknowledgement to them. They did not deserve it. The kid went out and even gave them the courtesy of speaking to them in their own language. I'm sure that took more courage and humility than Martina was credited for.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Being 18 had nothing to do with it. At 16 they were calling her mature, two years later she's just a little girl? Give us a break. Martina was cocky as hell and thought she had the "old lady" beat. The crowd was still cheering her good shots in the third set.

That crowd was nothing compared to what Serena had to face in her own country at Indian Wells.

Most shocking..The treatment of Serena Williams at Indian Wells. I hope she and Venus never play there again and the tournament withers and dies on the vine.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
martina must be glad that steffi was her opponent, if I had been some worse things had happened :eek:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Pete throwing up on court.
Pete asking a ball boy to get the ball from his shorts.
Martina H tantrum at the French where she walked over and checked the line.
Jana Novotna crying all over people at Wimby when she did not win.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Martina Navratilova did the same thing in a Roland Garros match against Evert.

There is nothing intriniscally wrong with walking around the net. It used to be legal, now it is not.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
lmfao Can you imagine the title of the threads in here if May would be playing today
Well, the obvious one would be "Sutton refused to shake Wightman's hand" - followed by a ton of bitching and arguing over whether she did or not... blah blah

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Willow- That Italian player that got disqualified from the Edinburgh 25k was a total bitch. She arrived at teh players hotel and got thrown out about 2 hours later for insulting the manager. The transport people drove her around edinburgh to find a B&B, the foudn one, she went in. Just as the guy driving the mini-bus was about to leave her bags came flying out of teh hotel door shortly followed by the hotel manager and the player in question. Whose name i have annoyingly forgotten.

Natalie Neri calling Dominque Van Boekel a "skanky cow" during their qualifying match at the Edinburgh 10k this year. It was so funny. The other GB players watching fell about in hysterics. Luckily, the umpire thought Natalie was saying it to herself and got no warning. But Dominque deserved it, she called "wait" half way thorugh nat's service action, nat played a crappy point walked up to the net to pick up the ball (no ball people) and said "you skanky cow!" and smacked the ball abotu 2 feet away from Dominique. Then she so sarcastically said "oops sorry". On the next point Natalie looked up and went "are you ready now? or would you like some time to paint your nails?" and then served. Unsurprsiingly she lost the match to the most flagrant cheat on court i have seen in the shape of Van Boekel.

At teh same event Natalia Papadopolou broke down after losing a 4 hour+ match to Carly Homewood 7-6 4-6 6-4. The match was disrupted by rain, so it actually took about 6 hours to complete. It finished at 9pm, it was dark, raining, windy and absolutely freexing. The girls played in sweatshirts!! It was really heartbraking because for all her effort Natalia keft with no ranking points and no prize money. Carly got whipped the following day as she could barely move, she too got no points and no money.

·
Everything Fades Away
130,255 Posts
LOL @ irma. What would u have done? Tell us, we wanna know. Would u have slapped her with the racket over the head, so that the racket would make a necklace? :eek:

81 - 100 of 115 Posts