Tennis Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Simon V, that match wasnt the same that Pioline hit some amazing forehand winner down the line, slipped, fell to the gorund and stayed there celebrating? Guga would drop his racquet, cross the court and shake Cedric´s hand. LOL. I couldn´t stop laughing. The match was a four-setter and Guga lost it 4-6 7-6(6) 7-6(14!!) 7-6(8). Epic match.

Also, one more about Guga. Few know it, but he once threw a racquet in the chair umpire´s direction during a doubles match with Fernando Meligeni (I guess it was RG 1998). :eek: Of course they were defaulted.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Hewitt at the US Open was pretty bad.

I've often got annoyed at Arantxa (and some others) for obvious "gamesmanship" such as moonballing, shoelace tying, questioning obvious ok calls, holding up the server etc. It's often been effective on less experienced players.

As for Ilie Nastase, he would clown even in important matches - and often lose through distracting himself! Typical stuff included Prattfalls, giving his racquet to a ballboy or member of the public after a bad shot, fooling with equipment, or making complaints about the electronic eye.

In one Wimbledon match the umpire was calling him to account, and said "Nastase! Resume play."

Ilie took umbrage at this and shouted "You don't call me Nastase. You call me MISTER Nastase!"

The crowd found this rebuke hilarious.

·
Registered
529 Posts
:confused: What is an underhand serve??...I have no idea, and it's really annoying me...someone pls tell me

·
Registered
281 Posts
underhand.....

well, i think they mean under-arm , which basically means instead of tossing the ball up and hitting it above your head, you hit the serve as if it were a regular groundstroke, usually aiming to hit it quite soft, like a drop shot.

people often use the term underhand because it is conisdered to be an unsporting tactic to employ, especially if done without wanring the opponent. Underhand meaning 'devious', 'deceptive', .unclassy'.

Hingis did use an under-arm serve against Graf, which angered the crowd. The second time she tried, though, Graf had her wits about and cracked the ball for a winner. Of course, the crowd celebrated like crazy.

I think people are a bit unfair on Hingis for this day. The crowd were totally for Graf anyway, even though Graf had 4 titles at Roland Garros and Hingis none. Hingis was also the better player for most of the match, and actually had cause to question some of those line calls (the big one she questioned......i think she was right).

And how old was she then? 18? 19?

Steffi, considered mature by most, did milk the crowd for all she could get, though it's hardly her fault if the crowd are going to behave like that.

Anyway, I think people were and still are a little hard on Hingis. Normally, she is a role model on the court, always competing, playing lots of events, supporting the tour, recognising sponsors and fans......

·
Premium Member
37,793 Posts
richie tenenbaum's last match in "the royal tenenbaums". unforunately, it never happened for real...;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
:D Thanx for explaining that to me babywhale :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hingis also used the underarm serve against Schultz-McCarthy in 1996 at the Australian Open. She was going to win and so she thought she'd mess around with Brenda.

The French Open serve was under much more serious circumstances. I guess you could justify her action by saying it was strategy. After all, the first time she used it Graf was so surprised she couldn't even return the ball over the net.

·
***** Emeritus
44,646 Posts
Not really sure about this but i vaguely remember a mixed doubles match where Rosset and Hingis played together and Rosset hit something (?) with his hand (?) out of frustration. He hurted himself and couldn't continue and he started crying whilst apologizing to Hingis....

Can someone tell me how correct this is or if my memory is playing tricks on me?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
37,793 Posts
yeah, that was at the hopman cup, i don't exactly remember which year (98?). rosset slammed his fist against a banner and hurt himself really badly, he might even have broken it, i'm not sure. they had to stop playing.
i'm sure relationships between rosset and the family hingis have not been rosy ever since...;)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It was in 1996 against Croatia (Iva and Goran) and at 5 games all in the last set!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Since Auntie gave me permission... :)

The Lendl/Chang match was, as Celeste indicated, in the 4th round. That was Lendl's worst finish in a tournament all year, IIRC.

Xan's mention of MISTER Nastase brings to mind another story. It seems Ilie felt his younger opponent wasn't giving him the proper respect. So he complained to the chair umpire. "He's calling me 'son of a b*tch'. You tell him to call me 'MISTER son of a b*tch'."

There was a match at the US Open in the late 70's (75-77, when it was on green clay). Jimmy Connors' opponent hit a shot that landed on or near the far sideline. It was called out. As it was so close, the opponent asked the chair umpire to check the mark. The umpire got down and began his trot across the court. Jimmy ran over and rubbed out the mark with his foot before it could be checked.

Another shocking thing was not from any particular match, but just a general occurence. Martina Navratilova recently mentioned Betty Stove's tendency to hit her opponent with the ball. Not just during play (which is allowed, but often frowned upon), but during the warmups. Martina said whenever they were practicing serves, and she'd turn to get a couple of balls from the ballkid, Betty would drill her in the back with a serve.

I assume (hope) she doesn't do that in the legends matches. :)

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Basically aside from those mentioned I'd say the time Gigi Fernandez threw a chair in amongst some spectators who were vociferously supporting Spirlea in a match.
Also Eva Sviglerova playing a match with no underwear on. She attracted a large crowd.
Any Helen Kelesi match had to have a shocking incident in it, lol.

·
Everything Fades Away
130,255 Posts
Do you know where that was when Goran broke all his rackets during a match and had to quit it? :confused: ROTFLMAO! Very clever...lol! :D :cool: :bounce:

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
definitely RG final 99!

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Well for me the most shocking thing a player has ever done on court had to do with a situation in which the player never intended it to happen.

I think many have forgotten many years ago Stefan Edberg accidentally hit I believe the net judge who fell kind of hard and sadly died of the injuries.

I know Edberg was deeply saddened by the incident but I have always wondered how he was emotionally through out his career because of it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Bump this old topic.

Very interesting with the Henman disqualification that he and Jeremy Bates lead 7-6 3-6 6-3 6-6, and were playing against Jeff Tarango and Henrik Holm at Wimby'95. Tarango had a hand in 2 disqualification at the same event vica-versa.

Just one word to the Graf-Hingis 99 RG-final.
The best answer would have been, if Steffi had hit a drop-shot from the under-arm serve, and had won with that. :)

2002 in Budapest Quallies 1st Round. Local girl Virág Németh played against Emilie Loit, the match was on an outside court, where there is no space between 2 courts. Virág lead 5-2, had setpoint, had an open-court situation hit an easy winner when a ball rolled there from the neighbour-court, making a LET, had to replay the point.
Virág lost the set and the match. :(

61 - 80 of 115 Posts