Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Queen Diva on High
4,097 Posts
I know it's overdone but I will just never forget Martina Hingis' meltdown at the French against Steffi. It wasn't just during the match either...All the badmouthing Martina was steering towards Steffi..the implications that she was old and should retire etc...then her completely immature behavior on court...I just couldn't believe it. Then to have to have your mother drag you back on court crying...I'm sorry but it's just too classic. It really is.
I think it taugth Marti some humility.

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Well that RG final with Steffi and Martina...I couldn't believe what I was seeing... You couldn't have written the script. Definately one of the most memorable finals in a long while.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Must give a mention to just a few of the one-and-only Helen Kelesi's exploits:

Playing Julie Halard in Fed Cup 1993:

"You're so f***ing lucky" and then smashing the racket. Bad tempered match. Helen won, and had the cheek to rush to the net to triumphantly shake hands with Julie and then do high-fives with her team mates at courtside.

Also, Kelesi versus Florecia Labat, Austria 1991:

"F***ing bitch"
"F*** that line"
"Why is she so f***ing good?"

At Wimbledon 1991 Kelesi versus Jo Durie:

Getting very upset and crying, arguing every close call, and even being grumpy with a ball boy for continuing to throw her damp, muddy balls.

At Wimbledon 1993 Kelesi versus Graf: 0-6 0-6 ouch!

Kelesi plays in some designer shades on court as part of an endorsement. After 20 minutes of play, trailing 0-6 0-3, Kelesi throws them to floor at the change of ends and crushes them with her foot.

I could go on, but basically, Kelesi was 100% attitude and great fun to watch. She's missed. And she was ranked top-15 to top-25 for much of the late-1980s and early 1990s. The girls today are angels in comparison.

Not to mention Kelesi's exaggerated grunt, which not only increased in volume on key points, but also sounded as if she reaching orgasm. ;)

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
I think it was Anne White(?) that showed up at Wimbledon in that white body suit. I loved every minuted of it.

However, that Hingis incident at the French was incredible.

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Gandalf, Gigi was supposedly put off by what she refered to as Mary's "attitude" during those matches. (I didn't see any details as to what exactly happened.) So Gigi decided to moon her. It wasn't a "full moon" :), but Gigi did turn around, bend over, flip her skirt up, and pull her panties down just a smidge (to show a little "cheek").

A couple of Johnny Mac incidents stand out, both later in his career. One was when he actually pushed a TV camera over on his way to his chair. It was one of those huge cameras, with a chair attached that the cameraman would sit in. It almost landed on him (cameraman). The crowd immediately recognized the jeopardy John's actions had placed the cameraman in, and began to boo.

Also, at the Australian Open, right around 1990 (give or take), Mac was defaulted from a slam for the first time in his career. He was in one of his tirades, and giving the chair umpire a lot of grief. Then the referee came out, and he got it too. Yet despite the way John carried on, and the language he was using, they would still have let him continue playing. But as he walked away, John did the stupidest thing he's ever done in his career. He looked at the referee and said "F*** your mother!" The referee pitched him out of the tourney.

Another incident took place at the US Open, again late in Mac's career. One of the fans was rooting for John's opponent. John went over to the stands and started lambasting her. However, the woman gave it back as good as she got. The two exchanged rather heated words for a little while before John returned to the match. As he walked away, the camera focused on the woman, and you could see her clearly saying the word "a**hole".

Early in their careers, most of the antics of Connors and McEnroe were more amusing, as they let the air out of the stuffy tennis establshment. (Very much needed.) But later in their careers, they seemed to be a bit more mean-spirited.

Speaking of thumbing one's nose at the tennis establishment, no one loved to do this more than Ilie Nastase. Back in the 70's, when tennis was into the "boom", tennis clothes began to get more colorful. Naturally, the tennis establishment only tolerated this through the most clenched of teeth. However, it really offended their sensibilities when they watched a doubles match, and saw guys wearing 4 different outfits, in at least 4 different colors. So they passed a rule that stated that members of a doubles team must be "similar in appearance" when they play a match. For example, if one member of a team wore a blue shirt and light blue shorts, the other one would have to wear a blue shirt and light blue shorts, in as close a match as possible.

Well Nastase, who has often gotten in trouble for disobeying the rules, this time got in trouble for obeying them to the letter, and beyond. On one particular day, his doubles partner was... Arthur Ashe. (You can probably guess where this is going.) Not only did Ilie put on a shirt similar to Arthur's, and shorts similar to Arthur's, but he also put on makeup to make himself look black. Then the two took the court, much to the consternation of tennis officials. Arthur himself found it amusing, as he knew Ilie was making fun of the rules, and not him. But it got Ilie in a bit of hot water. Again.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned this:

Anna Smashnova v. Katalin Marosi-Aracama in the 2nd round of wimbledon (2000?)

Anna became very upset at one point and hit the tennis ball in anger (with no other intent) but the ball went flying into the crowd and hit a woman in the head. Anna was in tears and profusely apologized, but the speculation was that it actually had something to do with the fact that Katalin's husband was purportedly coaching her from the stands and that the ball MEANT to be for HIS head :) very strange.

oh, Anna went on to win the match, btw :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Everybody Do The Bump

Come on who remembers that hillarious and famous changeover "BUMP" at the '97 US Open between Irina (The White Turkey) Spirlea & Venus.

I think is pretty high up there on the shocking front.
You do??? I never really saw the "BUMP" between Irina (The White Turkey) Spirlea and Venus (She Thinks She's The Fucking Venus Williams) Williams as being such a big deal.

Beige.... whoa, Stephanie Graf could really be a major league bytch back in the day, huh??:eek:

Williams defeats Spirlea in a tight three-setter
7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 7-6 (9-7) -- two hours, 42 minutes

. . . What the 6-foot-2 Williams never lacked, though, was a confidence that borders on cockiness, and she's shown that throughout the tournament.
It certainly appeared in a chest-bumping incident with Spirlea on a changeover in the second set, after Williams held serve to 4-3. Williams wore an intense expression as she bounced quickly toward her chair, and Spirlea had a sour, angry look as she came from the other direction more slowly. They collided at the net post.
"I was not going to move," said the No. 11 Spirlea, who has taken verbal swipes at several popular teens in the tournament in the past week. "She never tried to turn. I wanted to see if she would turn, and she didn't. She thinks she's the (expletive) Venus Williams."
Williams shrugged off the confrontation.
"I'm not having any injury from that bump," Williams said. "I thought we both weren't looking. I'm sorry she feels that way. It's not a big thing to me. No one said, 'Excuse me."'
Spirlea tried all match to beat Williams with drop shots, and few worked. Williams had warned earlier in the tournament that it's not a good idea to hit drops against her.
"She must not have heard me say it, I guess," Williams said. "I mean, I'm going to get the drop shot, that's all there is to it. I love people that hit drop shots on me."

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
How about Olga Barabanschikova reading a book between games at the 2000 Australian Open.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Dont you all miss the "old" Venus sometimes? Actually I miss all the bad mouthing these players used to do. Nowadays everyone is so proper and too polite!

Grandslammed, i did not know that Venus said that. I actually LOL at "She must not have heard me say it"!

Sigh...the WTA! Such a Soap opera.

Does anyone remember the stare down between Capriati and Venus, I think it was at the Ericcson last year? Capriati lost and Johnny Mac said it was because she had blinked. Only in the WTA!

·
63,810 Posts
Cassimir said:
How about Olga Barabanschikova reading a book between games at the 2000 Australian Open.
Err... what she doing with that? :eek: She haven't any thought about strategy for her match? :eek:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Volcana said:
Jenn winning the OZ final is actually up there.
I agree, Volcana! Coming back from 5-1 (something like that) and saving four match points was just SHOCKING!

Jen played so well, I did not believe how she did it, so yes I was very shocked at how well she handled the situation and shocked that she found a way to win!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just love threads like this one!!!
Brian, that Ilie Nastase incident made me laugh to tears. I would argue however about your assessment of Connors. Jimbo underwent a complete metamorphosis later in his career . He actually became both an entertainer AND a crowd pleaser.
Too bad that today's ATP doesn't have such personalities as Nastase, Jimbo or McEnroe. The "New Balls Please" campaign characters have as much charisma as the new tennis balls in the slogan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
One of the most shocking things from that 99 French Final was the underhand serves that Marti pulled out like a spoiled brat having a tantrum, anyone know of any other times where a player served under-handed . . at least in the open era?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
About Jimmy Connors, I have to say that although his behaviour today would seem inappropiate, he was funny as hell.

He really knew how to do it, he was a showman and the crowd loved him, it was more an studied act that something spontaneous IMO.

·
Registered
303 Posts
tennis history! is'nt it great!!:)

Hingis'meltdown at French '99 -this will make history books someday. The first underhand serve surprised everyone,including Steffi.The second didn't.

The bump between Venus and Spirlea - I seen this comming.Spirlea had been throwing dagers the whole match every time she looked at Venus.

Sampras crying while serving was very touching.I am not a big Pete fan,but was pulling for him in this one.

Andre when he called that lines woman a f***ing b***h .She was the only one who heard it,but had to tattle on him.

Thomas Muster,man I miss that man.I remember a match when he ran to the side to return a ball and kept running to the other side of the court.He was fun to watch.

:)
Johnny Mac just has too many to list!

I sure would like to have seen some of the other strange things that happened,mentioned in this thread. Keep 'um comming.This is a good laugh (well some of them).:eek:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Michael Chang served underhanded to Iva Lendl at Roland Garros, back when he was 17, and ended up winning the championship. Brian can correct me on this, but I think it was the finals, and Chang was running on fumes, his legs were cramping and you could see the agony on his face. He could barely move. But he took Lendl by surprise with the underhanded serve, and went on to win the match. It was a shocker. I remember watching it and my mouth dropping open when Chang did that serve. It's perfectly legal still. Just not very sporting.
Or have they changed that rule?

·
Everything Fades Away
130,182 Posts
Anna @ the French Open 1999 :confused: when she played Novotna and wanted to go to the toilet at some point of the match,but Bruno Rebeux or what his name is, didn´t let her go until the game was over....lol....she began to cry! :eek:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I think it was the 4th round or the quarters, Chang beat Edberg in the final that year.

Steffi expressed no bitterness over the underhanded serves placed at her by Hingis. She even commented it was a good strategy, or something like that. After you've won, it's easy to be gracious, but the comments didn't seem insincere. All I can say is, underhanded serves are viewed as well, "underhanded", lol, and don't gain you many fans.

I'm not aware of any rules against doing this today, but I don't really know.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts