Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jenn winning the OZ final is actually up there.
If you pick Martina at RG 99, you didn't see Johnny Mac in his heyday. Martina has never come close.
Lleyton Hewitt's comments about James Blake were quite surprising.
'Gigi-gate' wasn't during a match.

NOTE: The question is about what the player's did, not the refs, the crowd or the coach.

·
YOU'RE WELCOME!
6,880 Posts
The only one that really springs to mind is Jeff Tarango at Wimbledon a few years ago when he blew up at Bruno Rebeau (sp?). The shock came because his reaction was completely OTT and rather unprovoked. There was obviously a bit of history between the two but it did make me laugh, as well as the stories that Tarango's wife had hit the umpire at some stage. And of all places to do it, Wimbledon, the fortress of good behaviour and British reserve...

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think it was Mcenroe hitting a photographer
or David Wheaton and Brad Gilbert who started fighting during a match at the masterscup 1990
and there was also another tennisplayer(but I don`t remember his name) who hit somebody.
I can`t remember anything like this ever happened at a ladies tournament.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thomas Musters butt

There is an authentic photo of Thomas Muster changing shorts on court at a red clay court tourney. He had a jockstrap on and of course it has no backside. So there is full view of Thomas naked rear end. Nice too..
Can be found at www.thebluegallery.com (have to have UGAS id)
under real athletes or famous athletes I believe. Check it out if you are not to pristine !! LOL

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Pete Sampras hitting aces while WEEPING for his dying coach during his match with Courier at the Australian Open .. sorry, I forget what year it was ... very shocking, upsetting, and impossible to turn the eyes away from ... I still get tears in my eyes thinking about it, and Tom Gullickson, of course, did die ... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff Tarango. What can we say? All the Mcenroe attitude and one tenth the talent.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Venus Williams in her 99' Quarters match with Davenport where i believe she lost a point for her beads for being too "distractive".She really got upset there and in 98' Wimbledon vs. Jana Novotna when she called for the referee:eek:

Andrei Agassi being defaulted for bad language in a California tournament. Now that was something:p

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
very true Mel. I could remember those incidents too especially that of Andre....well, Cecil Mamiit(our kababayan) was Andre's opponent then on a semifinal match.;)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
That made huge headlines i remember Kuya Jorin. The Fil-Am papers here were so psyched about Cecil advancing to the finals. I think that was in Feb. of 99' just right before Agassi changed his attitude and went to win Paris.

BTW what happened to Cecil maamit. i thought he was born back home but he is American. i guess the search for a Pinoy star continues:eek:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
oh well, I guess that pinoy star should come from your blood line.;):angel: Cecil lost to the Scud in that finals. I guess being a stanford Champ, he's still has a great chance of improving.:angel:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thank ball change..I knew my hard work would pay off and believe me it was fun....my dream would be to find a photo of Magnus like that.....;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
The Venus beads things was shocking. Her beads fell off her head, and she was very upset. She was then deducted a point for causing a disturbance on court. Now, she was really upset. She :sad:

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Tim Henman was disqualified in a mens doubles match in Wimbledon 1995 for hitting an unsuspecting ball girl with a tennis ball.

He hit the ball in temper but he didn't know that the ball girl had already begun her journey to retrieve the ball. The tennis ball hit her in the head - the girl was in tears and consiquently, Tim was disqualified from the match.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I remember watching the Tarango thing at wimbledon!I thought his wife came on court and salpped the umpire!Thats what i remeber anyway!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere, that a male player spit up at the audience and had to forfeit a match? I think it was at a slam (Wimbledon?)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Come on who remembers that hillarious and famous changeover "BUMP" at the '97 US Open between Irina (The White Turkey) Spirlea & Venus.

I think is pretty high up there on the shocking front.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,793 Posts
Johan Kriek swearing at the umpire to tell somebody in the audience to quit smoking. "I don't want to catch F*****G cancer" Infact the tournament was the Benson and Hedges Masters if I recall. It was a good advert for B&H's. The umpire looked like he was about to weep.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts