Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For every stroke in tennis, which player(s) would have coaches drooling over as a textbook shot which all their young students should aspire to duplicate and which player(s) would have coaches cringing and forbidding their students from picking up such bad habits?

Which strokes from which players are good enough to put in a tennis museum for all others to learn from?

I've heard of Lindsay's textbook service motion and Amelie's classic one handed backhand, but what are the others?

·
Banned
14 Posts
Well Hingis' strokes were almost too good for any textbook, at least in their motion, serve included. As for players still playing, Serena's forehand, Lindsay's serve, Daniela's backhand, and Mauresmo's volleys are all very technically flawless. As for the least sound strokes, we'd have to look at Venus' forehand, Myskina's serve, Monica's volleys. Interestingly, I can't really think of a women's player who hits a really bad backhand. No, wait, Alexandra Stevenson has a super-ugly backhand motion that produces a terrible result.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Knizzle remains retarted. Venus' backhand cannot be called the most technically sound because she hits it late and on her back foot. Effective yes, textbook no.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
ProjectMayhem said:
Knizzle remains retarted. Venus' backhand cannot be called the most technically sound because she hits it late and on her back foot. Effective yes, textbook no.
She doesn't hit it on her backfoot unless she is on the run and is off balance. She gets her racket back early, has an excellent contact point taking the ball at it's best bounce, great acceleration through the shot, and an excellent shoulder turn on the follow through. It's effective for a reason because it is techincally sound.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I have to agree with Project here!! Both Venus and Serena have many great shots. But they really threw the texbook out when they learned them. If you watch Venus' forehand especially, she sometimes has her right foot a little bit in front of her left which is the complete opposite of what the textbook says!!

Her backhand is truely great, i just love that fact that she can hit it anywhere that she wants!! But it certainly wasn't learnt out of no textbook!!

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
ProjectMayhem said:
Well Hingis' strokes were almost too good for any textbook, at least in their motion, serve included. As for players still playing, Serena's forehand, Lindsay's serve, Daniela's backhand, and Mauresmo's volleys are all very technically flawless. As for the least sound strokes, we'd have to look at Venus' forehand, Myskina's serve, Monica's volleys. Interestingly, I can't really think of a women's player who hits a really bad backhand. No, wait, Alexandra Stevenson has a super-ugly backhand motion that produces a terrible result.
What's wrong with Myskina's serve?:confused::)

·
Banned
14 Posts
No, it is not a technically sound shot, Venus has no technically sound shots, which makes her success all the more astonishing. For that matter some of the best shots in tennis are not always the prettiest. Roddick's serve, Graf's forehand, and Seles' swing volleys are good examples of this.

Oops, but I forgot, Venus is the greatest player ever, who has more variety than Justine Henin, and the most solid, textbook shots ever, with a charming persona and good looks.

Face it, IT JUST ISN'T TRUE, so try to look objectively at your favorite.

Reactions: starr

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
ProjectMayhem said:
No, it is not a technically sound shot, Venus has no technically sound shots, which makes her success all the more astonishing. For that matter some of the best shots in tennis are not always the prettiest. Roddick's serve, Graf's forehand, and Seles' swing volleys are good examples of this.

Oops, but I forgot, Venus is the greatest player ever, who has more variety than Justine Henin, and the most solid, textbook shots ever, with a charming persona and good looks.

Face it, IT JUST ISN'T TRUE, so try to look objectively at your favorite.
I do look objectively at all players, but it's hard to feel that you are objective when you blatantly wish bad things on certain players in your signature. You're a typical hater. If a shot doesn't break down, and works very, very, well how can it not be technically sound?? That would be contradictory. How can Graf have the best forehand ever, but it not be technically sound. It may not be like all the rest, but that doesn't make it bad.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
ProjectMayhem said:
You're right! Venus IS all of those things!

Great post :worship:

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
ProjectMayhem said:
Serena still has problems with her contact point on her forehand. Serena has the best service motion though. There are worse forehands than Venus on tour.

·
Registered
115 Posts
when you say technically sound, it must mean that its a technique so based on fundamentals such that when pulled off by amateurs will produce technically predictable results. on venus' strokes, do you people think anybody can pull off those techniques the way venus does it and get the same result as venus? if not, then technique is not technically sound. given that, that also means that venus is more impressive than people give her credit for if she can dominate with lousy (re: non-conventional, lousy for anybody else) technique.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Gospodin said:
when you say technically sound, it must mean that its a technique so based on fundamentals such that when pulled off by amateurs will produce technically predictable results. on venus' strokes, do you people think anybody can pull off those techniques the way venus does it and get the same result as venus? if not, then technique is not technically sound. given that, that also means that venus is more impressive than people give her credit for if she can dominate with lousy (re: non-conventional, lousy for anybody else) technique.
Her technique on her backhand is sound. It may not be textbook, but I never said it was textbook. But her backhand is sound or else it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Venus has the best two handed backhand!

Serena has the best serve

Lindsay has the best forehand. So does Capriati

When I think of the best shots I think of shots that players have that produce results that are intended.

I think overall off the ground, Lindsay is the most technically sound. She hits the ball so cleanly that even coming off her racket, it sounds different.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Monica CAN volley technically sound...I'd say Kapros' serve is NOT technically sound...

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
the technically worst stroke ever was graf's forehand
it is probably also the best shot in women's tennis we'll ever see

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
best service´s motion: Serena. That´s the way it was meant to do.
best two handed backhand: Venus. People go gaga on Justine´s backhand, but afte re-watching the ´00 us open semi it´s clear that Venus has the best backhand...she can hit anywhere, anytime.

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts