Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes feel sorry for chair umpires who have to continually pronounce names that may be a bit challenging. When looking at the WTA rankings - I've come across hordes of names I wouldn't want to touch.
Restricting to those players in the Top 100 - what do you think is the hardest name to pronounce - last name only.....(and I realize that there are posters on this board from all over the globe; therefore a name which seems difficult for me may not be for someone else).
I would have to pick Tatiana Perebiynis (I have no clue how to pronounce her last name).
Course...her name wouldn't be nearly as difficult as Veronika CTVRTNICKOVA!!!! (and, yes, she is a player on the Tour).

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,026 Posts
perebiynis is easy.....it's just Par-i-bee-niss

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
THe player who was suffering from leukemia, she has a difficult name for my tounge. Moriar,moia... second place : Sonja Jayaleesa....... jaylee.... :mad:

Easiest: Ding Ding and Sergej Ni (proubably a son of one of the knights who said NI)

Stvirtnikova, not impossible, and not difficult to remember, Stvirtnikova :tape:

·
8,026 Posts
Morariu is easy for me.....and for English speakers Harkelroad is easy for a first grader to pronounce.... *hides*

·
8,026 Posts
kras-nor-OOT-skeye-uh

·
8,026 Posts
From wtatour.com

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
People have problem pronouncing Marie Gianeh Mikaelian.

People often say Mar-ee gin-e-mik-a-lin. though it's
Mar-ee-gee (as in geese)-aa-neee- miii-kay-lee-an

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.