Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
CGS
7,596 Posts
And they wonder why people prefer men’s tennis. I feel stupid for not learning the lesson from last year and kept purchasing the ticket for the ladies’ semi this year :lol: It’s even worse than last year :help: I will never ever pay this much money for days that only women play again.

·
Registered
23,257 Posts
both were washouts under an hour, it for sure doesn't look good.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
A centre court ticket today costs £160. You’d have felt quite short changed when you could have got Roger and Djokovic for the same price yesterday. Singles play all done by 4pm. Wonder how many of the crowd will bother coming back for the men’s doubles SF

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Since last year.

Kerber def. Ostapenko 63 63
Serena def. Goerges 62 64

Also 2017:
Muguruza def. Rybarikova 61 61
Venus def. Konta 64 62

Arguably 2016 as well:
Kerber def. Venus 64 64
Serena def. Vesnina 62 60

Its obvious you have a short memory or simply don't follow the WTA... given the stupid threads you open every week...

both were washouts under an hour, it for sure doesn't look good.
Halep-Svitolina lasted 1h 13min.

·
Registered
34,593 Posts
That's just the big advantage of Bo5. I've seen plenty of ATP SFs which were not competitive as well, take this year's AO for example. But Bo5 at least still guarantees you solid 2-2,5 hours of play even if it's a lopsided match. And people will wet their pants regardless of how boring the match is as long as there's Nadal, Federer or Djokovic on the scoreboard. :lol:

But it's true that, especially at Wimbledon, the quality of big WTA matches has been terrible. The last three-set match at Wimbledon in a SF or F was in 2015! I wonder why this is so extreme in this major.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The US Open SFs were also quite uneventful. What was the last GREAT slam SFs anyway? Halep-Kerber in Australia last year?
Yup. And before that, Sloane-Venus USO 2017.

·
Registered
23,257 Posts
on the contrary: mens semis feature the top3 with fedal the XL and augut/nole who beat him twice this year. it's not even close for sure.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
A centre court ticket today costs £160. You’d have felt quite short changed when you could have got Roger and Djokovic for the same price yesterday. Singles play all done by 4pm. Wonder how many of the crowd will bother coming back for the men’s doubles SF
Federer and Djokovic utterly dominating their opponents = exciting, value for money
Serena and Halep utterly dominating their opponents = boring, want money back, where is the excitement

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
And they wonder why people prefer men’s tennis. I feel stupid for not learning the lesson from last year and kept purchasing the ticket for the ladies’ semi this year :lol: It’s even worse than last year :help: I will never ever pay this much money for days that only women play again.
I totally agree. In the past five years, I have been to tournaments in Cincinnati, Rome and Wimbledon and I am glad that most of the times I had tickets for sessions with both men and women, except for Wimbledon in 2017 when my wife and I had tickets for the ladies' semifinals. Muguruza destroyed Rybarikova 61,61 and Venus easily beat Konta 64,62. What a waste of money!!! We paid £180 each to watch two shit shows that lasted less than two hours combined. Never again.

I will never go again to the final stages of a tournament where only the women are playing. Tickets for Premier events are so expensive and you might end up with Gavrilova, Sakkari, Martic and Kontaveit in the semifinals, instead of Serena, Kvitova, Osaka or Halep. When you buy tickets for the final stages of men's events, you are almost 100% sure that you will get to see all time greats such as Federer, Nadal or Djokovic.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Wimbledon might be the general favorite slam, but in my opinion, over the years, it has had the worst showpiece matches in the latter stages for both the WTA and ATP with few exceptions like Nole-Rafa in the semis last year.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts