Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking over the results for the Houston tournament, and there has been at least 1 bagel doled out per round so far. I was just wondering if this was some sort of record, or if there was a tournament even weaker/with a dominant player moreso than this one?

Results thus far:

1st round:
Andre Agassi (USA) d. Zeljko Krajan (CRO) 6-2, 6-0
Ricardo Mello (BRA) d. Andre Sa (BRA) 7-6, 6-0

2nd round:
Andre Agassi (USA) d. Iraki Labadze (GEO) 6-0, 6-2
Olivier Mutis (FRA) d. Flavio Saretta (BRA) 6-2, 6-0

Quarterfinals:
Andre Agassi (USA) d. Ricardo Mello (BRA) 6-0, 6-1

Of course, it comes as no surprise that Agassi is the one consistently doling out the bagels, considering he's playing a tournament way below his level in terms of the other talent in the draw.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It probably isn't entirely relevant, but I believe Sergi Bruguera dished out 4 bagels in a row en route to the Roland Garros title; he triple-bagelled the oh-so lucky Frenchman Thierry Champion in front of his home crowd, then had a bagel in the first set of his next match.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Following the trend of AA's matches the SF should be 6-1 6-0 and then double bagel in the final to the king of mickey mouse evens :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Actually, I hope he double-bagels both his last two opponents - that way he'd lose five games in five matches, which would truly be a testament to his quality and to the weakness of the draw.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope Melzer kicks his ass :devil: but it is a rather far-flung hope, I realize.

Agassi probably will win with such scorelines, I can't see him stopping now. And what would it say if he reached #1 after playing such a worthless tournament?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It would say: "Hewitt, why waste your time struggling to maintain the no. 1 ranking by playing in big events like Barcelona when you can drop down to Agassi's level and deal with the small fry?"

I'm thinking of compiling a list of tournaments named The Mug's Guide to the ATP Tour, featuring all the easiest events to play at to get points. Stopping off at Adelaide, Memphis, Copenhagen, Delray Beach, Houston, Newport... the list goes on.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
To be fair, Andre isn't going to get the top ranking because he played a mickey mouse tournament. It makes sense for him to stay in the States when RG isn't for what, another 4 weeks? It's not his fault that he doesn't have the same competition in NA as one would find in Europe. That, and seeing as last time he played a non RG clay event in Europe he won it, I would have to think that his chances in Barcelona would have been half decent.

That, and there is the very small point about how Andre has made the finals of the last 2 grand slams... details, details ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Oh, I don't deny that he's earned the no. 1 spot, or blame him for the tournament field, it's just a pity that in order to actually get to the top he has such an easy collection of 'nobodies' to sweep past. I'm sure he's delighted, though; a chance to accomplish a mission while also having fun toying with opponents along the way. I'm still hoping that in some cruel, perverse way, what happened to Hewitt in Indian Wells will happen here in reverse; Agassi will be demolishing his opponent and have matchpoint, only to see Melzer come back and deny him the no. 1 ranking. Getting back to reality, I'm sure he'll be in the final in about 55 minutes at most.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
That's true. I did harbour hope that Labadze could prove his previous win over Agassi wasn't a fluke, but the ease of Agassi's win only proved the first-round syndrome you were talking about - it was his first match in Shanghai that he lost to Labadze, and with that and the Masters Cup he still hasn't won a match there. Boy, he must hate the Chinese so much... well, judging by his response to a rather pushy question at an interview after his loss to Ferrero.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
what per4ever said...:kiss:

go Agassi!!! win this one and ascend to the throne where you belong. : :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
oh yes, here's hoping that his opponent eats a bagel or two for good measure...;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts