Tennis Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd add now Zheng Qinwen v Sasnovich//Volynets v Haddad Maia//Baptiste v Garcia. I think Sasnovich is a bad draw for a seed but a good draw for a qualifier and I'll take Qinwen for the upset there. Love the matchup of the little speedy bug Volynets against Big Bea, and Baptiste is just straight fun to watch.
I think Qinwen has no chance to hurt Sasnovich. Recently Sasnovich beat lots of young players including Osorio, Raducanu, Xinyu Wang, Tauson and Ann Li.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
I think Barty v Tsurenko could be interesting.
Ash will win obviously , but Lesia would probably be the toughest qualifier to get. She certainly won't get overawed on a big stage and should have Barty fully focused.

Other matches.
Sabalenka's match (find a serve please)
Kenin/Keys
Stephens/Raducanu
Kerber/Grand slam Kaia
Ostapenko/AKS ( polar opposite on-court personality)

Konjuh/Rogers is a sleeper match, a bit forgotten but a potential good one.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
39,261 Posts
I don't think so. Osorio could definitely upset Osaka on clay and maybe also on grass....but on hard courts, and just getting over Covid, I think she will be despatched in two quick sets. She did not play well on hard courts last year apart from the last event in Tenerife, so it remains to be seen what impact she will have on that surface this year.
Couldn't agree more. On a natural surface this matchup definitely has "upset" written on it, but on a hard court it has "routine win for the favourite" written all over it.

·
Registered
56,432 Posts
all in all, and despite Serena not being there, I get the feeling this AO is one of the most anticipated Slam (for me at least) in quite some time .

Very intriging . Plenty of in-form players , top 10 having to show they're no flukes ... Things getting somehow back to normal maybe after two Covid years with weird results/rankings ....

exciting fortnight ahead IMO

Reactions: Halepian and gmak

·
Registered
389 Posts
all in all, and despite Serena not being there, I get the feeling this AO is one of the most anticipated Slam (for me at least) in quite some time .

Very intriging . Plenty of in-form players , top 10 having to show they're no flukes ... Things getting somehow back to normal maybe after two Covid years with weird results/rankings ....

exciting fortnight ahead IMO
The only issue I can see is that the lead-up tournaments (Adelaide 1 & 2, Melbourne 1 & 2, Sydney, and even Gippsland) were of such high quality and had some amazing games that the bar is set so high now that AUS Open might actually disappoint. I really, really hope the players can keep up the momentum from the amazing tournaments we already had in Australia since the start of the month and take it to the AUS Open, rather than just seeing one-sided games all the time.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Definitely Emma v Sloane. The popcorn match of R1, battle of the US Open champs.
Does anyone know if Sloane has any form at all coming into this match???
I think it will be very interesting to see how Sabalenka shows up? and if she is the double faulting overly emotional mess she has been the last few matches will Storm be able to take advantage?
I like Sabalenka but even I can't be bothered to watch her in her current form.

·
Registered
139 Posts
vote goes for the Badosa - Tomljanovic as well. Easy
this one moved way up on my anticipation meter after Paula's win in Sydney. Babs was able to do a week before win and run deep (even win) in the following GS tournament but sort of runs against the tour model to get the rest and preparation in instead of competing the week before. Curious to see how Paula does and hope she does well and perhaps we'll see the model change and more players play these tournaments in the week before a GS kicks off.

How well does she turn around ..she didn't exactly cakewalk the tournament... and against a tricky player with home court advantage. Should win.. but slapping a definite potential upset watch on that one.

·
Registered
My favourites: Konjuh / Vekić / Kvitova / Muguruza / Pera
399 Posts
I'm interested in these matches the most:

Kerber-Kanepi

Konjuh-Rogers

Riske-Vekic

Kenin-Keys

Kvitova-Cirstea

Potapova-Giorgi

Sasnovich-Q.Zheng

Reactions: Aganim

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Another first found matchup that not enough people are talking about is Osaka vs Serrano. I don't think people understand how much danger Serrano present to Osaka. I was one of the few people that picked LAF against Osaka at the USO last year. And while I'm not going to make a pick here I could easily see Serrano beating Osaka.

This is a very, very bad matchup for Osaka. Serrano is a young, fast rising player with a ton of talent, confident and hunger. Not exactly who you would want for your 1st round match in a major.

Serrano also play the exact type of game that trouble Osaka. And nobody fight harder point to point than Serrano. Even though I have all the confident in the world for LAF to beat everybody I would be pissed if this was her first round opponent.

Osaka must have pissed somebody off as they threw just about the hardest draw they could at her.
If this happens, I will bump up her 'The fall cometh' thread. That will be it. Serano did beat Giorgi, Tauson and Alexandrova last year, so maybe she will be up for the heavy ground strokes/shots like Leylah (who is a left-hander - and Osaka lost to 3 of them last year, with two after she had received a w/o).

41 - 53 of 53 Posts