Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A pretty balanced draw after quite some time.

There are 4 matches that stand out to me.

Kenin vs Keys
Raducanu vs Stephens
Kvitova vs Cirstea
Kerber vs Kanepi

Also, Sabalenka vs Sanders, Mertens vs Zvonareva, Osaka vs Osorrio and Badosa vs Tomljanovic could be interesting. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Badosa vs Tomljanovic. I can see an upset here. The same for Kvitova vs Cirstea.
Raducanu vs Stephens could be fun to watch, but I think it will be an easy win for Sloane!

·
Registered
139 Posts
most anticipated I suppose for being most important in terms of the draw.. to say nothing if not entertaining..

Sabalenka vs Sanders. Does she fix the serve.. or break a DiMaggioesque tennis record.. and perhaps simply go out against a someone with enough talent to beat her if she is handing out free points. If she fixes it.. that bottom quarter gets a LOT more interesting with a potential blockbuster QF.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Badosa vs Tomljanovic. I can see an upset here. The same for Kvitova vs Cirstea.
Raducanu vs Stephens could be fun to watch, but I think it will be an easy win for Sloane!
Maybe if Badosa loses her focus like she did in the second second in Sydney this week. Otherwise I see another Aussie going straight to the stands to support a local event.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm interested in seeing what Sloane look like after not playing since the fall and getting married and I'm also curious to see if Emma is going to show up with any sort of game or will she continue to look like the ITF player she has looked like since winning the USO.

But I think this is going to be the first round matchup that everyone is glued to, lol. Anybody who follow tennis just a little bit will be watching this match.

Both players are such wild cards and you don't know what to expect from either.

Sablenka is another player that has looked really, really bad since the USO last year so I'm sure many people are going to watch her out of curiosity.

WTA is in a weird place right now. You got a reigning USO champion and a world number 2 who you wouldn't pick against some players outside the top 50. It's entertaining if nothing else. lol

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Stephens - Raducanu for popcorn
Ajla - Badosa for scintillating tennis

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’m kinda intrigued to see who can grab their golden opportunity in the Anderson v Stosur match up.

Krejcikova v Petkovic could be a decent match.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Can see Brengle upset Yastremska
For me that would hardly be an upset. Quite the opposite, I’d actually favor Brengle to junk ball Yastremska to death. Dayana has been dreadful lately, and even normally she would have trouble against this sort of opponent. Add to that the fact that she underperforms in slams…

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Brengle - Yastremka for sure in my list but only on the condition that both play their best.

brengle said in one of the podcasts that the best match of her career is vs yas.at US Open.

·
Registered
392 Posts
For me that would hardly be an upset. Quite the opposite, I’d actually favor Brengle to junk ball Yastremska to death. Dayana has been dreadful lately, and even normally she would have trouble against this sort of opponent. Add to that the fact that she underperforms in slams…
Yastremska is a 21-year old up-and coming star player with incredible power, who has already ranked #21 in her short career and 3 titles.
Brengle is a 31-year old player who has never been in the top 30 for her entire career and currently resides outside of the top 50. It's unlikely she will EVER get into the top 20, and also she has less titles collected in 15 years than Yastremska did in 5 years (2 titles).

Upset means that the person who is expected to win that game does not win it. I do believe that Brengle has decent chances at winning, but it would still be an upset because Yastremska is the favorite.

Bookkeepers see Yastremska as 1.64 to 2.25 favorite, not an auto-win but still a sizeable difference compare that to Raducanu vs Sloane with 1.93 to 1.87 where it's really more like a 50/50.

·
Registered
118,025 Posts
There are a lot! Many were mentioned, and I'll add Konjuh/Rogers, Zvonareva v slumping Mertens, Cirstea/Kvitova, Linnette/Sevastova
But especially Keys/Kenin, Raducanu/Stephens,

Reactions: Halepian

·
Registered
281 Posts
Of those not mentioned, if not on after I can't stay awake anymore I'll try to watch: Ann Li vs Wang Xinyu//Kvitova vs Cirstea//Linette vs Sevastova//Golubic vs Zhang Shuai//Konjuh vs Shelby Rogers//Vekic vs Riske//Ruse vs Paolini//Pera vs Alexandrova//Martincova vs Davis

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
There are a lot! Many were mentioned, and I'll add Konjuh/Rogers
Will never root for Rogers again, she's a draw spoiler to the nth degree. She literally made Raducanu. If she ever takes out someone seeded higher, it's set in stone that she'll lose the next round.

·
Registered
Kerber, Linette, Radwańska, Kuznetsova, Svitolina, Barty, Collins, Clijsters, Henin.
297 Posts
Riske/Vekic is my fav first round match.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another first found matchup that not enough people are talking about is Osaka vs Serrano. I don't think people understand how much danger Serrano present to Osaka. I was one of the few people that picked LAF against Osaka at the USO last year. And while I'm not going to make a pick here I could easily see Serrano beating Osaka.

This is a very, very bad matchup for Osaka. Serrano is a young, fast rising player with a ton of talent, confident and hunger. Not exactly who you would want for your 1st round match in a major.

Serrano also play the exact type of game that trouble Osaka. And nobody fight harder point to point than Serrano. Even though I have all the confident in the world for LAF to beat everybody I would be pissed if this was her first round opponent.

Osaka must have pissed somebody off as they threw just about the hardest draw they could at her.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts