Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
19,640 Posts
Ons deserved to win that but choked massively from 4-1 up in the second.

In addition, everything seemed to work against her - not having a coach there, getting cramps from coming through qualies, etc.

People will talk about Dasha's coach but she didn't really raise her level much after that, it's just that Jabeur's collapsed, and it wasn't very encouraging the way Kasatkina struggled to put her away even then but I suppose she is entitled to some nerves in trying to win her home trophy.
wasn't pretty but I do think some tactical changes did help. After the coaching session Dasha's shots tended to have better depth and she was able to expose Jabeur a bit better on the extremities (playing to weaker BH was a suggestion from the coach) and do a bit more damage on the return. Jabeur had fewer occasions she could actively storm up to the net and seize control and then errors would leak either out of impatience or attrition. Jabeur helped a lot with some very awkward shot choices and mistakes, but I think people don't realise how much Kasatkina did to make it a contest even while not entirely in control herself (the coach acknowledged Kasatkina was playing too scared/inhibited even though she won second set).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Poor Ons, terrible way to lose a final, but she really should have won in 2 sets.

Happy for Dashka, but she will need to change her mindset if she ever wants to compete for bigger titles

·
Registered
73 Posts
Horrible last two sets and result. Jabeur destroying herself physically and mentally with awful shot selection and lack of focus.
Kasatkina really wasn't doing much for the majority of the match herself nor did she raise her level.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Makes sense Kasatkina needed a paralysed opponent to finally not flop in a big final :spit:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Happy for Dasha, but sad to see it end this way for Ons.
That pep talk from Dehaes before the third set pushed Dasha through.

·
Registered
104 Posts
let's not forget ons played 8 games ( 4 of them 3sets including today's game) in 8 days and Kasatkina played only 5 in 6 days
in the end thatwhat made the difference !!
I'm really happy with ons stamina 3 tournament in 3 weeks and make it from the qualif to the final in the end !!! if somebody tells me that is going to happen few weeks ago I would not believe it !!

·
Registered
15,126 Posts
it was hilarious how she casually killed so many of Kasatkinas serve. :tears:
She was dropshotting Dasha's serve right out of air :lol:

Call it SABJ (sneak attack by Jabeur)

Some players might take that as an insult/provocation if you do that, no?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
As expected both players showed their mental weakness in this final, the 2 players are very talented but must find their way to manage their nerves.:sad:

A big part of this trophy goes to Phillippe Dehaes, Kasatkina coach, who managed to keep her in the match and to believe in her for both when she was ready to surrender.

I will keep the positive because I know how badly she wanted this title and after the last few months it's a good thing to end the year with this title that allows her to reach the Top10,she knows she still has a lot of work to do.

It ends sadly for Ons but a great week that allows her to get into the Tunisian tennis history and even African tennis with this 62nd place in the rankings and this Premiert Event final.I hope that she can build on this week and come back next year stronger.:hug:

Reactions: stano00

·
Registered
206 Posts
So sad for Ons breaking down at the end. As for Dasha, well, I have never been an advocate of the on court coaching, but on the this occasion her coach practically lifted her over the line with his no nonsense approach, really getting in her head and pumping her up. It certainly made the difference, I think.

·
Registered
15,126 Posts
21 - 40 of 73 Posts