38,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not as good as I expected, but still entertaining. :clap2:

Sadly Ons injured her left leg in the ninth game of the third set. :hug:

Come back strong next year Ons, we need you. :cheer:

·
Registered
19,640 Posts
sigh, Jabeur was really on track at 6-2 4-1, then unforced errors and nerves took over, while Kasatkina seemed to get a boost with her coach's seizing encouragement!

Kasatkina put in a brave fight to steal the match in her favour. Poor Ons though to have physical issues. :hug:

·
Registered
52,411 Posts
worst ending possible

I feel so much for Ons

62 41 ...

cramping at the end :awww: a match she "should" have won? probably ..

but congrats to Darya for the fight :hatoff:

OCC really helped her when she was on the brink of losing very badly ....

Congrats Ons on an amazing end of the year :yeah: solidly in top 100 and here to stay this time , hopefully , here's to a successful 2019 ! :cheer:

·
Registered
13,426 Posts
Unfortunate end for Ons, cramps in the 9th game in the final set :sobbing:

Kasatkina won today mostly due to her coach's efforts in pumping her up, they make a really great pair. Love to see this synergy in coaching pairs, not that Sumyk/Muguruza atrocity :spit:

Kasatkina clearly emotional after winning this tournament, good to see she finally wins a final fighting after losing the first set - her previous 3 final losses were extremely lopsided.

Jabeur :hug: played so well for a set and a half, really should have won that, but had her usual mental lapses and poor shot selection choices in from 4-1* up in the second set. Really, really gutted for her. Still an extremely good week for her though, first Tunisian woman to make a WTA final, and at a Premier tournament at that.

Hopefully Ons brings it next year, her raw talent is undeniable and she's way too good to be ranked where she is. Only problem is her fitness and stamina of course, hopefully she fixes that and gets better accustomed for longer matches like today.

More than 60% of Kasatkina's points won were from Jabeur's UEs (65) - match was clearly on Ons' racket, but just couldn't sustain her level. Still a good match, but not as great it could have been.

·
GIMME SHELTER
48,186 Posts
at the end it really hurt to watch Ons being knocked out by hurting cramps...
but: Dasha got through with so much mental resistance :bowdown:

well played girls !!!!

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Poor Ons, she was so close to getting her first title :sobbing:

I really want to like Kasatkina. She has a great personality and a very good attitude but boy is her game dull to watch. She was the strongest player out there though so well deserved title.

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
Great home title for Daria, she took the last opportunity to win a title in 2018 :cheer:

She upped her level when being down 2:6 2:4 and had a different mindset from that on.

Sad for Ons who was so close to make history today and was in cramps in that last game :hug:

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
A real shitfest at times. Both were nervous. But Kasatkina needed to fight in set 2 to extend the match, and handled it like a defensive player should do it

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Very ugly final, both were so emotional, stressed and sad end, when Jabeur couldn't walk because of cramps.
But this is the sport, fitness and mental state are important too.

Congrats to Dasha, after heartbreaking final for her last year, today she finally won on her home soil. ?

Reactions: goat

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Heartbreaking ending to a very entertaining match :sad:

Jabeur brought some incredible stuff to the court in the beginning. But then really screwed it up. Still, it was hilarious how she casually killed so many of Kasatkinas serve. :tears: She reminds me so much of Lisicki - both the stunning shotmaking and the mental flops...

Kasatkina was so happy in the end, this must mean so much to her to win her home tournament. I think she's also going to debut in the Top 10 now?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Ons Jabeur has eveything to be a top player but her fitness let her down.

Congrats to Dasha. This is her home and I understand bout her pressure. react at the end show everything.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Obviously an amazing week for Ons. A lot to take from it. She now has the belief that she can fight for titles. Also lesson to work on her conditioning. Exciting to see a player from Tunisia

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Ons deserved to win that but choked massively from 4-1 up in the second.

In addition, everything seemed to work against her - not having a coach there, getting cramps from coming through qualies, etc.

People will talk about Dasha's coach but she didn't really raise her level much after that, it's just that Jabeur's collapsed, and it wasn't very encouraging the way Kasatkina struggled to put her away even then but I suppose she is entitled to some nerves in trying to win her home trophy.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts