Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the ball can now find the court! It lands in, and I can also put a lot of juice on it!!! :bounce:

But I am still having three probelms.

1> The only way I seem to be abel to find the court, is if I lean back in the service motion. This is damn near killing my back!

2> I cant seem to be able to go out wide, its just down the middle and body serves I'm doing.

3> This wrist flick thing how far do I exeggerate it, cos when I do, it goes flying out the court, I mean seriously!1

·
Banned
149 Posts
At last!!!!Someone I can beat at tennis!!!! ;) :D

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey I can do my strokes good!

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Well, i think i can help u....i hope so...

1st solution:
You have to throw your ball so that if you let it fall, it would land right after your feet. Ur supposed to lean all your body forward to transfer your weight on the ball. It might take a bit of practice at the beginning.

2nd solutin:
Well, that might be a problem of how you are holding the racket. On serve u are supposed to hold it as if it was a hammer, and the metal part of the hammer shud be the metal of the racket.if u are a righty, u shud also try the slice on the deuce court.

Hope that helped!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
well....I'm learning tennis now, and one of my intructor people told me to kind of arch my back and then come forward into the ball...more power and more control I think....and if you watch the pros, they do it like that alot....

One thing I need help is putting spin on my serve....I'm pretty good with hitting with a lot of power but I need to learn spin now....I can do it a little.... but can't seem to put a lot on it =P

Reactions: Dava

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Some service tips:

Make sure your tossing arm is straight when you toss the ball.

Let it go at, or just above eye level, but continue your arm motion upwards until your tossing arm is straight in the air.

Your service swing should be one fluid, continous motion. Don't stop it anywhere along its path. (Called a "hitch," or "double clutch!")

You want the ball to (assuming you're right handed) go about 6-8 inches higher than your swing, 1 foot in front of your right foot, and about 8 inches to the right of it. This will guarantee that you come up into the ball. A great way to accomplish this is to hold the ball in your tossing hand under the racquet, and down by the throat.

The "wrist flick thing" you refer to is called "pronation." It should start when you reach the highest extension of the racquet, and should continue rolling over until the top of the racquet head is actually leading the follow through.

Make sure you're serving with a Continental grip. This is just like holding a hammer, and when you look at the stick, you should not be able to see any strings. that is, it should be perfectly perpendicular to the ground.

..Joe

Reactions: Dava

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Well, i just wanted to add one thing.

The reason why your back arches is cuz you send the ball behind your back, and doing that u are forced to hit a "kick serve", full of top spin, like andre, which is usually used on 2nd serves, because the ball goes in more often with that type of spin.

Class dsmissed! :p :p ;)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think you're not swinging the raquet far enough behind your back. You should almost be scratching your back with your raquet.

The wrist flick thing is actually just you trying to put topspin on the ball. In order to be able to correctly use your wrist, the raquet has to be going far enough back behind your back. In essense, the palm of your hand should be facing you as you start your serve, and your palm should be fully away from you as you end up through your follow through, in a right to left motion, IMO.

·
Registered
32,313 Posts
arching your back will give you more control as you are then spinning the ball in.
for more power, be sure to through the ball in front of you and project your body weight forward.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
down to basic's:

start by figuring out where to stand on the line (how close to the centre of the court), then decide what angle you want to be to the line (parallel or 45 degrees which ever is more comfortable for you)

next you want to put all of your weight on your front foot (to do this i lean forward when bouncing the ball)

now you move that weight to you back foot (i lean back but not to the stage that i can't balance myself)

then you aim where you want to hit it by bringing your racket up to the ball in front of you (i do this while leaning back).

then you throw the ball up for your toss (it is better to let go of the ball as late as you can).

then you bring your racket back behind your body as you toss the ball up (either an abrieviated swing or a not abrieviated which ever suits you)

then you throw your racket head towards where you want to hit the ball and flick the wrist when making contact) you just have to do trial and error for flicking your wrist until you actually work out how much to do it. you should be jumping forward into the court to make contact with the ball.

now feet: there are 2 places to put the feet. if yoou have them far apart then during your motion you need to bring you back foot up to your front foot and then take the jump. but if yoour feet are close to gether then rather than bring the back foot up you should just bring it around your body (as your body moves from sideways to front bring that back leg with it).

the toss: it should be thrown slightly toward the net but not so far that you are really reaching for the ball (remember you are meant to make contact with the ball when your arm is fully extended) and then you have to work out where you want the toos whether you want it in front of your head or a tiny bit to the right (if right handed - a bit to the left if you're left handed).

the outwide problem as soomeone said is probably the way you hold your racket. for the flat serve hold it like your forehand (if you're still having trouble, when yoou practice while you practicing yoour serves on occassion look to see where your racket head is facing when you are aiming out wide and adjust your racket head so you do hit it outwide) sometimes you have to look where the racket is rather than the ball. for a slice serve hold your racket more to the right (if right handed or to the left if left handed) this way it is easier to get slice but if you're playing at a high level it isn't good to do that because your opponent will see the different grip and know what serve you're doing when but if it in the lower levels then no one notices usually.

i'd say the out wide problem could also be a problem with your toss. if it falls towards your body then it is a lot harder to hit it outwide because your going sideways and backwards to hit it. that's why it is important the toos is either in line with your head or is a bit to the side (to the right if you're right handed or to the left if you're left handed)

i hope some of this stuff helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts