Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It never stops :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here goes:

Field touts finesse over power

By BEVERLEY SMITH
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

Toronto ? So what if Serena and Venus Williams gave the $1.3-million (U.S.) Rogers AT & T women's tennis tournament a pass this week?

The competitors who are left to pick up the pieces from a list ravaged by injury at the York University tennis centre feel that the power-hitting sisters are not as dominant as they once were.

On Sunday, after winning the JP Morgan Chase Open tournament in California, Kim Clijsters of Belgium snatched the world No. 1 ranking from Serena Williams for the first time, even though Williams has won five of six key events this year.

Serena Williams skipped the Toronto tournament after undergoing surgery for a gimpy knee on Aug. 1. She'll be out for up to two months. She had held the No. 1 ranking for 57 consecutive weeks, beginning July 8, 2002.

The complicated ranking system obviously rewards consistent play over a year, rather than putting emphasis on a few emotion-packed Grand Slam victories. Clijsters has reached the semi-finals or better in 14 events this season. Although world No. 3 Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium scrambled up the ladder, helped in part by her victory in the French Open, Clijsters has never won a Grand Slam event.

"Power is not the only thing on the court," said Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia, (No. 8), the antithesis of a power player. At 5-feet-11½, she weighs 123 pounds (56 kilograms).

"I think more than anything, it's the head that is important on the court," she said. "I've proved in the past that I can play anyone and it has nothing to do with my physical [shape]."

She said Henin-Hardenne of Belgium is also not the strongest female player in the world, but won a Grand Slam (the French Open) anyway. Playing with finesse is the real tennis, Hantuchova said. "It is interesting to see the power of women's sport. But I think it is good when you see a combination."

Hantuchova said she is very happy for Clijsters and thinks she deserves the No. 1 spot.

Amelie Mauresmo of France, the Toronto tournament's defending champion and world No. 6, said it's difficult to determine the best player in the world.

"I think she [Clijsters] has proved although the Williams sisters have dominated for the last couple of years, that other players can do it too," she said. "I think when [Serena] is very tough, she is very difficult to beat. But Serena has had some tough matches that she didn't have in the past."

Mauresmo thinks not only are the Williams sisters losing their footing on the top perch, but other women are catching up.

"They've gone to another level from two years ago," she said. "Everyone has had to adapt to how they [the Williamses] play, to make sure they work harder, practice even more, pay even more attention to the body, and to the preparation to make sure we are physically fit."

However, Mauresmo said the push to match the Williams sisters has taken its toll and many players are suffering injuries earlier in the season.

"I think we've been asking a lot of our bodies," she said. "We are all trying to do our best."

Clijsters has been able to grab the top spot largely because Serena Williams hasn't played a lot this season while the young Belgian has been to the net twice as often. The Toronto tournament will be Clijsters' 23rd event of the year. Serena has played only in 11 tournaments while Venus has played 10. Venus is also out of the Toronto tournament with an injury. The top 18 tournaments count, meaning that the Williams sisters don't have the luxury of dropping any bad results.

"I don't think they are playing less tournaments this year than they usually play," said Magdalena Maleeva (No. 11) of Bulgaria.

Even though American women hold five of the top nine spots in the world rankings, they are in short supply at this tournament. Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Chanda Rubin and Monica Seles joined the Williamses in withdrawing from the Toronto tournament because of injuries. For the first time in the history of the Toronto women's tournament, no Americans are seeded in the event.

By sharp contrast, there are six Russian seeds out of 16. Of the 56 players, 10 are Russians. Four Americans are unseeded.

Yesterday, one of the American women in the tournament, Jill Craybas, (No. 76) crushed top-ranked Canadian player Maureen Drake (No. 123), 32, of Toronto 6-3, 6-1 in first-round play at centre court. Drake was clearly frustrated with her play, shaking her head after a wild lob in the second match. The agony didn't last long. The match was over in 56 minutes.

Drake said she didn't enter the tournament with a lot of confidence because she's been struggling with her game all season. In the past month, she's made a few technical changes to her serving and volleying techniques but they haven't become automatic yet. "I feel burned out a little bit," she said, adding that a shorter season would help.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030811.wteto_211/BNStory/Sports/

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Notice that the title of the article has little to do with the article itself, it just becomes about the Williams sisters.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
It just goes to show you that even though Kim is "ranked" number one the Williams sisters rule the roost, and are at a level all the other players aspire to reach.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you blind?IT has everything to do with hating on Venus and Serena. I love how people have so called "Adapted" to how the Williamses play, yet almost any given day, they beat anyone. Some adaptation that is. And Hantuchova is full of Sh*t. She doesnt play with power? My arse. And Mauresmo can silence herself.She can't match Venus or Serena. I also like that people are supposedly "catching up with the Williams sisters" yet, Serena has kicked ace in the Grandslams. Ya know, from the sounds of that article, it sound like Venus and Serena get beat constantly and consistently from all players..........now we know better than that! :lol:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
why is this article so hateful? did anyone say "we're glad that big arsed bitch isnt number 1 anymore. Thank fuck those arsewipes arnt dominating and boring the arse off anyone now, and for the next cupla months"
????????
Now that would be what i would class as Williams hating. The article was just talking about the state of the womens game as it is at the moment. as it stands most of the power players are injured at the mo

·
Registered
293 Posts
This article is full of CRAP and Daniela, Amelie, and all the others who maintain that they are in the same league with, "catching up to", or "competitive" with Venus and Serena are stone cold LIARS. The combined head-to-head record of Kim, Justine, Daniela, Amelie and Jennifer against Venus is an absolutely dismal/miserable/pathetic 4-26. REPEAT 4-26!! On top of that Venus HAS NEVER LOST ONE SINGLE MATCH AGAINST ANY ONE OF THEM IN A GRAND SLAM TOURNAMENT IN HER ENTIRE CAREER. Not once, not ever! Are these delusional women smoking contraband substances when they assert with a straight face that they are on the same level with Venus? You bet they are. Talking about getting high. Their combined career record against Serena is an equally lousy 8-32 and the sisters have more than TWICE as many GS titles than all of them COMBINED. So PLEASE stop all the bullshit LYING. Until the likes of Hantuchova (who by the way has also been getting beat good and regular this year by a number of players not named Williams) and Mauresmo actually WIN something except "big talk, no action" awards, I suggest they keep their jealous, stupid little mouths shut. I'm sick and tired of these idiots making statements to the media that they can't back up on the court!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Im sick and tired of the media asking them questions that they cant really answer. i mean none of them can say "yea theyre the best, i play like a wanker like all the other girls on the tour do. theres nothing we can do except give up really!" :rolleyes: if the media stopped asking dumass questions the women wouldnt look so stupid

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
So what if Serena and Venus Williams gave the $1.3-million (U.S.) Rogers AT & T women's tennis tournament a pass this week?
Like they just decided not to show up. Ah I think I'll just pass this tournament.:rolleyes:

The top 18 tournaments count, meaning that the Williams sisters don't have the luxury of dropping any bad results.
Umm, someone inform the writer its 17 not 18 tournaments?

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Ditto to all who stated how I feel.

I cannot even believe that Daniela had the audacity to even open her mouth. She doesn't open that mouth to eat food so why open it up to lie?

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's funny that there are over 100 views, but only like 13 posts in this thread. I guess everyone is turning their heads like they don't see all this "blatant hatin" on the Williams sisters.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
Ditto to all who stated how I feel.

I cannot even believe that Daniela had the audacity to even open her mouth. She doesn't open that mouth to eat food so why open it up to lie?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Knizzle said:
It's funny that there are over 100 views, but only like 13 posts in this thread. I guess everyone is turning their heads like they don't see all this "blatant hatin" on the Williams sisters.

what, u got me on ignore mode Knizzle?! :p :D ;)

·
Veelieve!!!
32,879 Posts
Toronto ? So what if Serena and Venus Williams gave the $1.3-million (U.S.)
Rogers AT & T women's tennis tournament a pass this week?

The competitors who are left to pick up the pieces from a list ravaged by
injury at the York University tennis centre feel that the power-hitting sisters
are not as dominant as they once were. >>>>>>

Just wait until THEY get injured- like six other players IN ADDITION to the
Williams sisters are. Plus, exactly where is the "finesse" in Kim's
heavy-hitting power game?

"Power is not the only thing on the court," said Daniela Hantuchova of
Slovakia, (No. 8), the antithesis of a power player. At 5-feet-11 , she weighs 123
pounds (56 kilograms).

"I think more than anything, it's the head that is important on the court,"
she said. "I've proved in the past that I can play anyone and it has nothing to
do with my physical [shape]."

She's a fine one to talk. Think she'll get past the second round?

<<< Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Chanda Rubin and Monica Seles
joined the Williamses in withdrawing from the Toronto tournament because of
injuries.>>>

Hey! Maybe it's not just those evil Williams sisters, after all! :p

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
the ironic part in all this is that these top players still think Venus and Serena are all power. Have they ever thought that this kind of underestimating is the reason why every single player who spoke has a losing record over them?

These jackasses are old. Old news and old minded.

The newer kids are the ones who will win grandslams and be stars.

Sharapova,Vera Zvonereva, More Russians. The new kids on the block. These old players are done u might as well stick a fork in em'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's funny is that I wouldn't really call Hantuchova the antithesis of a power player :rolleyes: She's of a slight frame, obviously, but when she's playing well her game is very powerful

1 - 20 of 45 Posts