Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
^and it wasn't in the highlights I watched yesterday :unsure:
In the WTA official highlights, it doesn't have most of the good points. I managed to find the full match on YouTube, so many excellent rallies! It's a shame I didn't see it live.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
I watched the first two sets before falling asleep but it was really nice quality! Elaine is playing well again; I told y'all not too worry too much about her slump because she has gone from shit to great the past two years in a row at the YEC. I doubt she would have won this match earlier in the week though.

I haven't seen either play much but Bouzková reminds me of Muchová. She put in a very nice effort today and hopefully will be in more finals.

I don't find Bouzková all that similar to Muchová ... but they are both pretty good at the net for sure. Marie is less reckless than Karo on court too with all pros and cons that go with it.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
Goddamnit sounds like the match was amazing, I'll have to find a good replay/highlights of it.

Yay, Eli finally breaks her title drought and she does it by apparently playing some good tennis. She really needed this title win. Move over Mugu and Pavs, we have a new Monterrey Queen! Well, a final against a fellow counterpuncher is usually Elina's forte, (where she usually crushes her opponent) but 2020 Elina has been very unconvincing so far so I had serious doubts she would win. It may not have been a blowout, but she still won! Her finals record is now 14-3 o_O Glad she is rounding into form, just in time for.... nvm.

Bazooka seems like a player to watch out for in the future, she seems like a nice person as well :) I was wondering what happened to her after Toronto.

According to our TVP Sport (Polish sports channel) commentator no one who burned the candle at both ends (Polish idiom used by him was: zarywać noc ) / stayed up late into the night to watch the match couldn't regret it. The audience in Monterrey was very enthusiastic too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I won't bump my "Svitolina will finish the year in the top 10" thread to gloat just yet but her consistent form was always going to return sooner or later.

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
An entertaining, competitive match. It's nice to see Elina rise above her terrible form to wine five matches here.

Also, incredible atmosphere here. The crowd was really engaged. I know that there were matches, too, that didn't have the biggest crowds, but I really feel like there's such an opportunity for the WTA to expand into Latin America that they're just not taking enough advantage of. I hope they'll bump this up to a Tier II in the future, because that could be great help. I mean, look at the players that have contested the title here in the past: Kerber, Muguruza, Azarenka, Li, JJ, Pavs, etc.

·
Registered
25,516 Posts
I won't bump my "Svitolina will finish the year in the top 10" thread to gloat just yet but her consistent form was always going to return sooner or later.
It’s also too early to gloat because this is only Monterrey. She’s still been a disaster at the Premier level.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
yeah that's why i said "I won't bump my "Svitolina will finish the year in the top 10" thread to gloat"
A lot can happen in the next 8 months. But even more to the point in these strange times, nothing could happen too.

We might not get another WTA match this year in which case Elina will finish 2020 ranked 21 for the year.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
Learn Spanish to conqueer the Mexican hearts. You could hear in Marie's shaking voice that she really wanted to win this one... and both players gave everything. Marie ran with wooden legs in the end, while Elina's footwork was relentless to compensate the pain in her right elbow.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
You know what is utterly stupid from the WTA with these shots of the day: to have it written over the screen during the start of the rally. This is truly beyond understanding.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts