Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Really an excellent match! IMO the best final of the year. Some amazing rallies. Looked like Svitolina had an elbow issue towards the end of the first set. Then in the second set the pace of her shots dropped off. Also her first serve wasn't quite as sharp as in previous matches - so she was made to work harder. Then in the third set fatigue set in for Bouzkova - and ultimately Elina's fitness helped her to prevail.
Well, with IW being canceled Elina has some time to rest that elbow I guess.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Highlights:

That was a truly epic encounter. Some utterly astonishing points where absolutely guaranteed winners somehow got overturned in favour of the other player. Fabulous drop shots from both, with nearly all of them winning the points.
Elina normally doesn't drop shot, but I noticed she's tried to add it to her game this tournament. She hit an excellent drop shot from close to the baseline against Rus. It's a good sign that she's trying to add more to her game.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've been following Bouzkova since she made her marks against Serena in Toronto but I remembered that she had more firepower than this, not sure what happened !!!??? but her athleticism is quite amazing; she returns balls that most players can. Nice confidence builder nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I love Monterrey. It has quickly developed into a land of signature ladies: WOW! Pavlyuchenkova is a 4 time champion. Muguruza is a two time champion. Ana Ivanovic is a champion too and Svitolina now. Hantuchova is a former runner up.

VIVA Monterrey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
84,406 Posts

·
Registered
39,300 Posts
I really like Bouzkova's sweet personality. Elina and her fought well and then embraced each other like you should after such a great contest.

This match also had some throwback moments to a good late 90s match where technical skills mattered more than power.

·
Registered
30,973 Posts
I watched the first two sets before falling asleep but it was really nice quality! Elaine is playing well again; I told y'all not too worry too much about her slump because she has gone from shit to great the past two years in a row at the YEC. I doubt she would have won this match earlier in the week though.

I haven't seen either play much but Bouzková reminds me of Muchová. She put in a very nice effort today and hopefully will be in more finals.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I haven't seen either play much but Bouzková reminds me of Muchová. She put in a very nice effort today and hopefully will be in more finals.
Aside from the athleticism, they play nothing alike really.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I love Monterrey. It has quickly developed into a land of signature ladies: WOW! Pavlyuchenkova is a 4 time champion. Muguruza is a two time champion. Ana Ivanovic is a champion too and Svitolina now. Hantuchova is a former runner up.

VIVA Monterrey!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The atmosphere was very electric and added to the good feeling this final brought. A full stadium with very enthusiastic fans!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Cant believe its Svitolina's first title in almost a year and a half. I dont find her game fun but she is a good athlete.

Hopefully she can find a balance between grandslams and tournaments this year because last year she seemed to try and go the halep route and aim purely just to go deep at the four big ones.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Huh? Translation please!
Totally adorable..

Svitolina getting some wins this season albeit at a lower tier event ?
Bouzkova continuing her hard court success from last season's US hardcourt swing ??

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
It was a very enjoyable match and congrats to Elina on her 14th (!) title, Marie who's my fave lost but I was not disheartened. There was no choke or passages of bad play in some crucial moments that I can pity here. Bouzkova is a fighter, has a prudent game, has nice volleys and is very swift. There were many memorable points and shots in this very encounter!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts