Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just like Kenin's victory in Lyon, Svitolina desprately needs a title to get her mojo back. IW is going to be interesting.

Update: now that there's no more IW 2020, we will have to wait until Miami.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Well done Elina. I feel bad for Marie though, she threw everything into it. Fantastic effort from both players. Good to see a big crowd there, they were very enthusiastic. Nice exchange at the net too.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
High quality match. After a terrible start to 2020 Elina came back strong this week displaying the quality of tennis that has kept her in the top 10 for several years. Congratulations to her, it was a very deserved, hard fought victory.

I'm very pleased with how Marie played too. She held her own against a very high quality top 10 player. In the end to match was decided in over three hours by the smallest of margins. Marie gave everything and she can hold her head very high after that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Really an excellent match! IMO the best final of the year. Some amazing rallies. Looked like Svitolina had an elbow issue towards the end of the first set. Then in the second set the pace of her shots dropped off. Also her first serve wasn't quite as sharp as in previous matches - so she was made to work harder. Then in the third set fatigue set in for Bouzkova - and ultimately Elina's fitness helped her to prevail.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Really an excellent match! IMO the best final of the year. Some amazing rallies...
That was a truly epic encounter. Some utterly astonishing points where absolutely guaranteed winners somehow got overturned in favour of the other player. Fabulous drop shots from both, with nearly all of them winning the points.

Mind you, the non-playing highlight came in Bouzkova's speech, when she brought the house down by doing the second half in what sounded like totally fluent Spanish! I loved Svitolina then saying that Bouzkova had set the bar too high for her, because all she could say in Spanish was Gracias! ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
a really great final, both players gave their all, can't ask for more than that.
some great rallies too, crowd and commentator david law( i think) getting right into it.

elina's extra experience basically got her over the line.

valuable ranking points for both, as there will be no indian wells points.

bouzkova looks a player on the rise, she'll play much worse in finals and win, that's for sure.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Historic victory. Last WTA tournament winner of 2020.
The cancellation of Indian Wells is really tough luck for Svitolina. Because after a poor start to the season she's finally rounded into form and playing good tennis - plus she has SF points to defend at Indian Wells.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Missed the match due to timezone differences. Looks like both players had to fight it out for the title and it ended up being a good match.

Kenin takes Lyon and Svito takes Monterrey. Good for both and wins they could use for getting back into the groove.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Missed the match due to timezone differences.
You've never thought of setting an alarm clock? :D Surely you would get up in the middle of the night for cricket?

Looks like both players had to fight it out for the title and it ended up being a good match.
Understatement of the year. A truly superb match, which simply got better the longer it went.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Goddamnit sounds like the match was amazing, I'll have to find a good replay/highlights of it.

Yay, Eli finally breaks her title drought and she does it by apparently playing some good tennis. She really needed this title win. Move over Mugu and Pavs, we have a new Monterrey Queen! Well, a final against a fellow counterpuncher is usually Elina's forte, (where she usually crushes her opponent) but 2020 Elina has been very unconvincing so far so I had serious doubts she would win. It may not have been a blowout, but she still won! Her finals record is now 14-3 o_O Glad she is rounding into form, just in time for.... nvm.

Bazooka seems like a player to watch out for in the future, she seems like a nice person as well :) I was wondering what happened to her after Toronto.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts