Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually this was my only day at the Tremblant tournament, it's back to work tomorrow.

So it was a weak field. It’s a $10K for crying out loud! We like weak fields in $10Ks!

The chief value of today was checking on the progress of some of the juniors since most players were Canadian teens. Red clay courts.

A beautiful spot for tennis by the way, right on a beach on Lac Tremblant in the Laurentians, very nice. I only wish there was a better field here, okay, I admit it. I also wish I had seen one one-handed backhand, just one!

I was looking forward to seeing Ekaterina Shulaeva, who has had some very nice junior and entry level pro title at a young age. She double-bagelled Anna Blagorodova, who was not in her league, so it was hard to get a really good read on her. She’s a little smallish but moves well and strikes it cleanly and accurately, that’s about all I noticed.

I liked Eunice David even though she lost 3 and 3 to a college player Jodi Kenoyer with more savvy. The blonde kid has a lefty forehand she likes to hit a lot and I think might be nasty if she keeps with it, improving it, and moves forward better. She seems like a nice kid and serious about her tennis, but is a bit smallish. I sense a good college player at the least.

I also liked Valérie Tétreault, who won 3 and 1 over Porter-LL (the Nigerian Osara Amadin didn’t show, surprise!) Val does not look like much of an athlete but she mixes it up well, hits nice angles, and was one of the few girls I saw who thinks her way through points.

Wow, Monika Dancevic might be a player. Tall, blonde, long legs, looks fit, can hit aces, and drop shots as well as winners from the baseline. Again I’d like to see her against someone closer to her level, (she killed Amy Toth 2 and 0, a chunky kid who was signed amid great fanfare by U of Washington for reasons that escape me from what I saw today), but Monika struck me as a talented kid with pro potential, where she can help her brother Frank ensure their parents’ comfortable retirement.

Tania Rice d. Valérie Saillant 6-4 6-7(2) 6-3 in the match of the day. Val is a powerful girl who hits hard but not always accurately. Tania was the little blonde energizer bunny who ran and ran and brought everything back. Off their junior achievements Saillant should have won this, but I don’t think the clay did her game any favours. Plus she didn’t seem to want it as bad as Tania, and even though she was doing less running seemed less fit and more tired in the third. Tania would scramble around, gasp and catch her breath in between points (sometimes exasperating Val with the time she took), and then slap her thigh and get ready to run some more. Lots of fun this was, and nice to see the little worker get the reward in the end.

Other results (I left before Kelley Hyndman vs. Marie-France Lord-Andrade, the “Heineken Match of the Day”, but I had a Heineken anyway, just to thank the sponsor of course):

Iona Plesu d. Goulet-LL 4 & 4
Mélanie Gloria d. Melissa Dakkak 2 & 1

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts