Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch... Monica has the WORST possible draw...
She is seeded to meet:

Schnyder
Black/Loit
Schiavone
9 Testud
2 Venus
3 Hingis

Just to get to the final....

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In detail:

Round 1
Seles v. Patty Schnyder
1998-03-30 Hilton Head Clay QF Monica Seles (USA) 4-6 6-3 7-6(6)
2000-03-06 Indian Wells Hardcourt R32 Monica Seles (USA) 6-0 6-3

Round 2
Seles v. Cara Black
2000-07-24 Stanford Hardcourt QF Monica Seles (USA) 6-1 6-2
2001-02-26 Scottsdale Hardcourt R16 Monica Seles (USA) 6-0 6-3

or Emilie Loit
2001-01-15 Australian Open Hardcourt R32 Monica Seles (USA) 6-3 7-5

Round 3

Seles v. Samantha Reeves, Aniko Kapros, QF, or 31 Francesca Schiavone

Round 4
Seles v. 21 Daja Bedanova, Tatiana Poutchek, QF, Ana Isabel Medina Garrigues, Celine Beigbeder, Bianka Lamade, Nathalie Dechy, 9 Sandrine Testud

Quarterinals
Seles v. 13 Maggie Maleeva, Mary Pierce, 18 Lisa Raymond, 32 Daniela Hantuchova, Tathiana Garbin, 2 Venus Williams

Semifinals
5 Serena Williams, Conchita Martinez, 26 Cristina Torrens Valero, 22 Henrieta Nagyova, 11 Silvia Farina Elia, 15 Amanda Coetzer, 17 Barbara Schett, 28 Anne Kremer, 3 Martina Hingis

Final
1 Jennifer Capriati, 7 Amelie Mauresmo, 4 Kim Clijsters, 6 Justine Henin

·
Registered
25,256 Posts
what bad luck, I prayed and prayed that she won't get Venus in the quarters but still :(:(. she could handle Jennifer/Hingis/Kim more easily than Venus :(:(.

·
25,384 Posts
Not so depressing at all IMO. IF Monica is going to win, the big quarterfinal upset can give her the confidence she needs. It worked for LAST year's Aussie champ. EVERY grand slam winner of 2001 came through what proved to be the tougher side of the draw. Have some confidence in your fav.

·
Registered
25,256 Posts
thanks Rollo but Venus is just too tough to beat ....

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'd love to see a Monica vs. Venus quarterfinal matchup!

Go Monica, fight and you can do it! :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Thanks for the info guys... Imagine how good we will all feel (not to mention Monica!) when she does make it to the final!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Miranda, where is your hope? Venus does not have a spectacular record on this surface, Monica does. The only time they ever played each other on Rebound Ace was at the Olympics, and Monica made it very close despite being out of shape. Have some faith, Venus CAN be beaten.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't think Monica's section of the draw is that bad! It could have been better but you got to have faith in Monica. She has worked so hard to get into some of the best fitness in her life and it will pay off for her at the Aussi Open. Seles does very well down under and Venus hashad some trouble. She lost last year to Hingis 6-1,6-1. If Hingis can bet her than Monica can for sure. Lets look at her draw.

Schnyder: hasn't been on top of her game for years. She lost the other day to Tanasugarn easily 6-4,6-2 and se has never regained her confidence aganist the big hitters.

Loit/Black: both players don't have a big weapon to hurt Monica. She has beaten them pretty easily the times that they have played.

Schivone: played well aganist Monica at the Hopman Cup but suffered a thigh strain/injury and lost first round this eek to Mandula. Seles will be sure that she doesn't lose t her twice. The loss made Monica realizeshe can't tke anyone for granted and that she can't let anyone back into the match because you don't no what is going to happen. The next two matche were brilliant from Monica which proved her mental thoughness after the trrible loss the day before.

Testud: Monica hasn't lost t her in nine straight matches and don't look for that trend to break now. Although they have difficult matches, Sandrine doesn't have to confidence to put it away when it's close. She lost to Pisnik a week ago and Hingis his week easily. Look for Monica to win this one in two.

V. Williams: Monica hs never beaten her but has cme close in the past. With her new found fitness Monica can beat anyone in the world! Seles owns Australia and Venu hasn't preformed well in the past. Her tournment win last week wasn't to impressive, strugling to Petrova, someone she has beaten before 6-0,6-2. She went on to win 7-6,6-5 when Petrova was forced to retire. I think the Australian Open will see Monica beat Venus for the first time in three sets!!!

Serena/Hingis: both players made there returns this week to the tour. Serena struggled throughout her matches losing a set to Anna and having a difficult match against Amile. Seles beat her last year and I know Monica cn do it again in Australia. Hingis came back froma long layoff which seen her rankin fall to 4. She put up some good wins this week but from others views hasn't improved enough or at all. The last two times these two played Monica won and a three-peat will be possible down under.

Capriati/Clijsters/Henin: Capriati has been struggling to regan her form from last year and is unlikely to repeat this year. Monica has beaten her the last two times that played. Seles has never lost to Clijster and Henin and I don't think Monica would have to much trouble with neighter of them if Monica and them make it to the finals!!!!!!!!!

Monica has a great chance to take home her fift Aussi Open title this year despite her draw. I'm 100% behind my fav. and I believe she has everything to beat anyone at any given point!!!!!!!

·
25,384 Posts
Venus may indeed be too tough to beat Miranda-but she has to PROVE it. HERE(or there:) ) -in an event she has yet to win. If someone of Monica's caliber REALLY thinks she can't win it all, then she has no business playing. Hope springs eternal, as Jen showed last year.

·
Registered
25,256 Posts
sorry dispo, I am always a crying old baby :eek:, yes I have to keep the faith.

thanks a lot Rollo :)

but even the men's draws are terrible, Sampras, Agassi, Hewitt, Safn in the same draw, poor Sampras :(

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Well, Monica had what looked like a good draw at the AO last year (no one suspected Capriati would be a threat) and at the USO also (Hingis in a slump) and she didn't make either one of those. Maybe a tough draw is what she needs.
I did get depressed. I would have loved to see her on Mauresmo's half. I think she definitely would have made the final then. But now if she does it will be very well-earned!
Anyway, the worst thing that can happen is that she loses.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think with all the good players now, almost everyone has a tough draw. There are much more good players out there than let's say 6 years ago. I agree that it's a tough draw for Monica, but that has everything to do with her beeing seeded no.8 and she can't help that either, because of her injuries last year and loosing all those ranking points. But if Monica's gonna win the Open, she'll do it good without an easy draw :) ! Seles1 is right: Monica CAN beat Venus because Monica likes the surface and Venus doesn't. And Venus isn't really in shape, Monica is. And you know, IF she'll loose to Venus, you cannot blame her because Venus is, IMO, the best player in the world out there....IF she is in shape. Monica can handle Martina, Might can handle Serena (she did it 2 before) and she's better that henin, Kim and Jennifer. So, Monica will make the quarters (that's for sure) and the only obstacle is Venus Williams, that's all! Go Monica, I believe in you :)!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I really believed Monicas only problem in Rebound ace surface is Lindsay. Now Lindsay is out, No need to worry.

GO Monica, 5th AO in the bag!!!!!!
10 th GS in the bag!!!!!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
it's a horrendous and disappointing draw indeed... not only for Monica... but i believe Hingis, Serena, Venus wouldn't be happy to find all the power-players (except) Hingis in the same draw... esp. the Williams... i guess they juz hate meeting each other at any stage other than in the finals...
i find the other half of the draw much 'lighter-weight, easier ?!
if only Monica was there... she would have little problem
but having said all, I'm really hoping Monica can breakthrough Venus this time round... or at least push her to 3 tough sets!

and i'm hoping she can exact revenge on Francesca... and maybe Daja Bedanova... smash them all, Monica !!!
:bounce: :bounce: :cool:

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
It is indeed a horrible draw for Seles, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she can't get through it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts