Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Monica seems to be fit and raring to go, and she is in pretty good form early on...

As I look to her draw, I think anything is possible..

Venus on one leg is NOT good enough to beat Monica Seles, so that realy only leaves Hingis in the semi finals, agaisnt whom Monica did well last year..

I dont want to speak too soon, but IM getting excited about MOnica's chances...

I just have a little bit of worry about her meeting Shciavone, who beat her at hopman Cup..It looks like one of those dangerous early round contests...But I think Monica's loss to her will ensure she isnt underprepared and she should get through...

Any other MOnica fans feeling excited about Monicas chances to do well here??

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I agree. I think that Monica is playing the best I have seen her in a while. She is really giving that ball some stick, and moving well. I think the winner of the AO will come from the winner of the semi between hingis / williams/ seles.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I agree things are starting to look good. Although I feel sorry for Venus, I wouldn't mind Seles getting at least to the semi's. If she does, her main rivals for the title seem to be

Hingis, Capriati, Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo. The good news news is that apart from Ameli, she has beaten all four others the last two times she played them! This clearly shows she's still in with a chance, contrary to what a lot of television comentators keep saying, refering to her as a tennis great from the past, seemingly feeling sorry for her. I hope she proves them all wrong, including our dear CNN's John Wertheim.

Go for it Monica!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
indeed her chances seem to be getting better... not only cos her path is easier now with Testud and bedanova out... but also cos she seems really sharp and focussed now...
her only problems to the title may come from Williams (who's supposedly injured), Hingis (who seems really ready and upbeat) and maybe Mauresmo (who looks quite strong at the moment):bounce:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Go Monica.......

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
I've said many times, "if Monica wins another slam, then I'll know good things happen to good people".

I wish the best of luck to Monica on capturing her next grand slam title... I would much rather see her win Wimbledon though and finish a career slam. But, it would be amazing to see her win the AO once more.

<H1> !!!GOOD LUCK MONICA!!!</H1>

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I was just talking to a friend of mine BEFORE Venus's injury that I had this funny feeling that Seles will win the OZ Open. I always of course will cheer on Venus Williams, but my intuition told me that Seles will win it this year.

BUT go Venus!! I know your hurt but just do your best kiddo. And if Venus can't take home the title then I hope Seles or Amelie does.

Fearless Venus Rulez!:)

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I haven't seen Venus' injury, but it strikes me that she has a couple of matches before she meets Monica to recover her strength (assuming she wins them without too much difficulty), so I'm going to wait and see.

Still, it looks like Monica is in with a good chance this year :).

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Something to take note of. Monica has not only earned the most quality points of any top 10 player here, but has done it stifling a yawn.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Surely the winner of seles' and venus' quarter will be the oz open champ 2002..... just depends on who wins the quarter, somehow i dont see Venus losing any match before qrts, injury or no injury....... however Daniela may pose a threat.

:) Go Monica :)

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! Just wanted to resurrect this thread in celebration of being correct!!!!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
It looks like my intuition is spot on:)

I'm tellin you this girl has a chance to take home another slam. She beat Hingis last year twice and she can beat Jennifer and Kim or Justine and Amelie imho. This is really a great chance for Seles to take home the trophy:)

go girl!!:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Remember though, Hingis dominates their matches, and IS NOT the player she was last year. She has improved tenfold, despite a shaky match yesterday.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It may turn out you're right, however she just hasn't been tested and you point out yourself that her performance yesterday was far from ideal (this however indeed doesn't mean a thing)

For me I believe there's some kind of threshold of level of play: If Seles plays above that she'll winn with relative ease because then she is preventing Hingis from playing her game, because she simply cannot get the balls back. If Seles plays just slightly below this level, she is totally dominated by Hingis

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
i am not taking Monica semifinal match against Martina for granted, I think it will be tough for both player. Martina is so refreshed right now. But having said that I don't know how Martina will play against real powerhouse and really it is anyone for the taking for this title since Venus bows out (I have to admit it, venus record against those top players are unbelievable). I think Monica is in for a good shot, but I do think her best surface is on clay, so I will not be too overly dissappointed and thought it being the end of the world if Monica did not take home the title, but surly the media and including me will be so desperate for a Monica Grand Slam.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts