Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monica Seles holds an astonishing record. I am not aware of any other woman or man holding this record. She has never been defeated at a Grand Slam tournament while she was the defending champion.

Australian Open

1991- Champion
1992- Champion
1993- Champion
1994- DNP

1996- Champion
1997- DNP

Roland Garros

1990- Champion
1991- Champion
1992- Champion
1993- DNP

US Open

1991- Champion
1992- Champion
1993- DNP

So, everytime Monica Seles has played a Grand Slam tournament as a defending champion, she has repeated as champion. Does anyone else have such a perfect record when it comes to defending Grand Slam titles?

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
It's not as impressive as Monica's, but there are some others ;)

Barbara Jordon won the 1979 Australian Open and Did Not play the 1980 Open.

Sue Barker won 1976 Roland Garros but did not play in 1977.

Chris O'Neil won the Australian Open in 1978 and did not play in 1979.

You can count Justine too :p - she hasn't lost as defending champion yet ;)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Actually I think it is a sad record. It just reminds me of her stabbing and that she was/is so often injured after her come back... :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
irma said:
maureen connoly probably did neither
Good point- Maureen Connolly won 9 straight majors- a record that hasn't been broken, and she won those majors by defeating all of the best players in the world at the time- convincingly.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
this is a great record, but I agree with an earlier poster that it is sad too.... she wasn't defeated as at GS defending champion becuz she was outta tennis...

but of course, monica has an amazing career no matter which way you slice it.

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alfajeffster said:
Good point- Maureen Connolly won 9 straight majors- a record that hasn't been broken, and she won those majors by defeating all of the best players in the world at the time- convincingly.
Conolly successfully defended her Wimbledon title in 1953 and 1954, her RG title in 1954, her US Open title in 1952 and 1953. Those were her 5 successful GS title defences. Monica has also had 5 successful GS title defences.

I checked and both are equal.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
hingis-seles said:
Conolly successfully defended her Wimbledon title in 1953 and 1954, her RG title in 1954, her US Open title in 1952 and 1953. Those were her 5 successful GS title defences. Monica has also had 5 successful GS title defences.

I checked and both are equal.
In more ways than one- Maureen, as you probably know, left tennis at the top of the game after she was involved in a freak horseback riding accident severely damaged her leg (she was actually hit by a truck, knocked off the horse, and thrown into a ditch). Maureen's game is more accurately compared to Martina Hingis or Tracy Austin style of play (with a one-handed backhand). Maureen did, unlike Monica, make the decision not to return to the tennis circuit, reasoning that the injury affected her mobility such that she could never play as well as she had before the accident, and Maureen would not settle for anything but the best. We are left with what might have been instead of the sour memory of watching a shell of a former champion getting beaten time and time again by players she used to beat easily.

·
Chionophile
40,171 Posts
alfajeffster said:
No. Helen Wills won 16 straight majors between 1924 and 1933.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Sam L said:
No. Helen Wills won 16 straight majors between 1924 and 1933.
9 years, at 4 majors a year is 36 majors.

She couldn't have won a consecutive 16 majors in 4 years, it's just impossible.

She may have won 16 straight of the ones she played, but the post that you quoted was talking about how Maureen won 9 straight grand slams (like Serena won 4 straight this past year), I believe.

If I recall correctly, Helen didn't win the Australian Open in those years.

·
Chionophile
40,171 Posts
Mikey said:
9 years, at 4 majors a year is 36 majors.

She couldn't have won a consecutive 16 majors in 4 years, it's just impossible.

She may have won 16 straight of the ones she played, but the post that you quoted was talking about how Maureen won 9 straight grand slams (like Serena won 4 straight this past year), I believe.

If I recall correctly, Helen didn't win the Australian Open in those years.
Maureen didn't win 9 consecutively either.

If I can remember correctly, she won:

1951 US
1952 WB, US
1953 OZ, FO, WB, US
1954 FO, WB

So she 9 straight, but that's what I mean when I say Helen won 16 straight.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.