Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monica leads #3 Kim Clijsters.............. 1-0 (3-0 if you count Hopman Cup)
Monica leads #4 Justine Henin............ 4-3
Monica leads #6 Amelie Mauresmo....... 3-2
Monica leads #7 Jennifer Capriati........ 9-5
Monica leads #8 Chanda Rubin............ 5-0
Monica leads #9 Daniela Hantuchova... 1-0
Monica leads #11 Jelena Dokic............ 4-1

With the exception of the Williams sisters & Davenport, Monica IS a favorite over everyone else. She's right now at #12, but without injuries she would be ranked in the top 5 like usual. GO MONICA! :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
Steffi leads #1,000,000,000 selesrules ....... 1-0


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,943 Posts
You seriously believe that? You're kidding right? Monica needs to get fit. I would hate to see Monica play any of the players in the current top 6, outside of A.O.

I think your list would be alot more interesting if you listed the dates of those matches.

Typical Selestial, to take one small snapshot of Monica's career to try and make a point. Example..even a 4-3 H2H doesn't suggest domination over your opponent.
 

·
Sabatini lover Forever
Joined
·
15,213 Posts
:eek: He forgot to say that Seles has lost
last match vs Dokic
last match vs Capriati
last 3 matches vs Henin
last 2 (completed)matches vs Amelie . Amelie retired injured in Dubai this year after one set.

We all know what Seles is capable of produce, but you can take last year`s statistics and Seles has not been doing that great, in fact she has lost to a couple of players ranked below her, that is rarely to see in Monica. She has room for a last huraah in a slam (Rg 2003).... Can she get fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
This guy really gives Monica and Monica fans a bad name. Thank god he doesn't like any of the players I do.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
8,263 Posts
wait... selesrules is just giving us a stat, no need to jump all over him for that just coz of what he said before
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,640 Posts
wongqks said:
wait... selesrules is just giving us a stat, no need to jump all over him for that just coz of what he said before
yes but in his stat, he says monica IS the favorite.

That means you should me saying, when Martina was playing Venus and Serena, she "was" the favorite against them, even though she had lost like the last 2 or 3 she played to them.

Players can get better, and eventually start to beat their opponents they were loosing to. I think Monica can consistenly still talk out like Dokic, Hantuchova and Clijsters and Henin, but Im not sure about Amelie, Jennifer, Davenport etc...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
petosp said:
:eek: He forgot to say that Seles has lost
last match vs Dokic
last match vs Capriati
last 3 matches vs Henin
last 2 (completed)matches vs Amelie . Amelie retired injured in Dubai this year after one set.
:rolleyes: First of all, Monica was bitch-slapping Mauresmo before she got injured, the bottom line Monica won. As for the others, Capriati barely edged Monica 7-6 in the final set, and Monica has always had an edge in that rivalry including the 2 previous meetings. Dokic barely edged Monica in 3 sets, and Monica has always had a big edge in that rivalry including the previous 4 meetings. Those 2 losses were more like upsets. That just leaves "Henin" that you can make a decent point with from ALL the list. Monica is still a favorite over all the others and that's a fact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,640 Posts
selesrules said:
:rolleyes: First of all, Monica was bitch-slapping Mauresmo before she got injured, the bottom line Monica won. As for the others, Capriati barely edged Monica 7-6 in the final set, and Monica has always had an edge in that rivalry including the 2 previous meetings. Dokic barely edged Monica in 3 sets, and Monica has always had a big edge in that rivalry including the previous 4 meetings. Those 2 losses were more like upsets. That just leaves "Henin" that you can make a decent point with from ALL the list. Monica is still a favorite over all the others and that's a fact.
but also you should realize, that they would not have had to make that "decent" point if you (seeing you bring it up) already knew about it yourself and went on ahead and brought it up, you would have avoided, all the bickering towards you :)

instead you say monica has everyones number and is the favorite against the entire top 10 with the exception of willies and davey :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Only one person in that list has a grand slam and Monica's record against Jen the past few years is pretty much even (with Jen winning the important matches)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SerenaSlam said:
but also you should realize, that they would not have had to make that "decent" point if you (seeing you bring it up) already knew about it yourself and went on ahead and brought it up, you would have avoided, all the bickering towards you :)

instead you say monica has everyones number and is the favorite against the entire top 10 with the exception of willies and davey :rolleyes:
People are trying to put down my WHOLE post. The only thing that you have a decent point with is HENIN. But Monica is still the favorite over ALL the others. So stop acting as if my post is nonsense. I did also say that it's if Monica was without injury.
 

·
Sabatini lover Forever
Joined
·
15,213 Posts
wongqks said:
wait... selesrules is just giving us a stat, no need to jump all over him for that just coz of what he said before
Seles´s influence on the tour after Australian Open 2002 has gone backwards. Here are her matches vs Top ten players

starting in Tokio PP 2002
Martina Hingis L 7-6 3-6 6-3
Henin-Hardeene W 6-4 6-3
Dokic L 6-3 3-6 6-4
Mauresmo L 6-4 6-3
Hingis L 6-3 6-2
Clijsters W 4-6 6-3 6-3
Capriati L 4-6 6-3 7-6
V Williams L 6-4 6-3
Henin-Hardeene L 7-5 7-6
V Williams L 6-2 6-3
Davenport W 3-6 7-6 6-3
V Williams L 7-5 6-4
Rubin W 4-6 6-4 6-2
Davenport L 6-7 6-1 6-2
Henin L 4-6 7-6 7-5
Henin L 6-2 6-4

Correction made!

Note: Rubin was not top 10 in Madrid 2002, neither Hantuchova at Roland Garros 2002. I also did not count Amelie´s retiring in Dubai this year.

W/L record 4-12 in a year and four moths period.
This pretty much tells the story...
Anyway i feel this Roland Garros, Monica coming in as fit as ever, and she can surprise anyone. Venus maybe not playing, Serena just coming from a recent loss, Kim from a month lay off after being tired some of tennis, Daniela and Dokic struggling all over the place, this could be a chance!!!! At least for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Can't count the win against Hingis, cuz she wasn't even top ten anymore last August, so that would be 4-12
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
YOU ALL NEED GLASSES

You counted the Williams sisters and Davenport, I DID NOT. Did you even read my post? I said she's the favorite over Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Amelie Mauresmo, Jennifer Capriati, Chanda Rubin, Daniela Hantuchova, Jelena Dokic because she has winning records against them. And I even agreed to take off Henin because Henin has turned around that rivalry lately. But the others HAVE NOT, some of them might have scored a win recently, but Monica still has the edge overall. Your list has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my post since it includes Venus/Serena/Lindsay and does not include other players that I mentionned.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone or the huge majority would agree that if without injury Monica meets either Capriati, Dokic, Rubin or Hantuchova. Monica would have the edge like I said. She is and always will be the favorite against them.

If Monica meets Mauresmo it would be split, but Monica did win the last meeting and has a winning record so I'm not inventing anything. As for Kim, she has NEVER beaten Monica in 3 tries.

So that just leaves ONLY Henin who without injury Monica wouldn't have an edge over right now. That's the ONLY thing wrong with my post so stop acting as if it's all nonsense. GET LIVES.
 

·
Sabatini lover Forever
Joined
·
15,213 Posts
selesrules said:
YOU ALL NEED GLASSES

You counted the Williams sisters and Davenport, I DID NOT. Did you even read my post? I said she's the favorite over Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Amelie Mauresmo, Jennifer Capriati, Chanda Rubin, Daniela Hantuchova, Jelena Dokic because she has winning records against them. And I even agreed to take off Henin because Henin has turned around that rivalry lately. But the others HAVE NOT, some of them might have scored a win recently, but Monica still has the edge overall. Your list has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my post since it includes Venus/Serena/Lindsay and does not include other players that I mentionned.
I just wanted to point out her performance vs top 10 after Australian Open 2002 to now.

If you take out Davenport and Williamses. Seles has a 3-6 record vs Them. Maybe 2-6 depending what was Rubin´s rank in Tokio PP 2003.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
amelie won two of the last three matches against monica and in the last match amelie had to retire.

doesn't sounds like monica is the covinced fav against her!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
selesrules- with all due respect to other monica fans, Monica was a great champion, but her time is over. She may play for the next year or more, but she will no longer be able to add to her grand slam collection. She might even score a top ten win or two before she retires, but you are really delusional if you think that Monica is the favorite against players like Kim, Momo,Justine and Jen. She might stand an outside chance, but all of those players have been doing things that Monica stopped doing years ago.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top