Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......at the AO back in 2002. There, Venus was the HEAVY favourite going into the tournament, and that match against Monica. When Monica, hell bent on destroying Venus, took her out rather easily in a 3 set match.

If my memory serves me correctly, both Lindsay Davenport and Serena (both comparable hitters) were out of the tournament with injuries.

No one, not even me, suspected that any of the remainding players, including Hingis, Monica and an eventual champion Cap, could stop her. Even Pam had her listed as the probable winner.

From that point forward, Venus has failed to win a major tournament!

I believe that loss was more of a blow to her mental status than any of the losses to Serena.

Cire

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Oh, please. How many times has Venus beaten Monica since that match without losing a set? 4 maybe? Again, Monica benefitted from the slow, high-bouncing rebound ace surface, which has never suited Venus all that well.

Serena is the single cause of the Venus "demise" if you can call it that. It's hard to call it a demise when she's been in 5 of the last 6 Major Finals.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
20,615 Posts
I suppose this "demise" of Venus Ebone Starr Williams is similar to the "slump" of a certain golfer named Eldrick T. Woods. True, Venus hasn't won a Grand Slam singles title since that loss to Monica, but she has made five finals. Only one other player, male or female, can make that claim, and I'll give you one guess as to who that is. ;)

·
Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Oh, please. How many times has Venus beaten Monica since that match without losing a set? 4 maybe? Again, Monica benefitted from the slow, high-bouncing rebound ace surface, which has never suited Venus all that well.

Serena is the single cause of the Venus "demise" if you can call it that. It's hard to call it a demise when she's been in 5 of the last 6 Major Finals.
:worship: I wonder why the poster seems so preoccupied with the Williames. First it was a special thread about Serena and her endorsements, now it Venus's turn :rolleyes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey, I call it as I see it! I'm a straight shooter; a shoot-from-the-hip type a guy!

Venus is in a major slump! It's been nearly two years since she's won a slam! Hell, it's been even a greater distance since she's won a Tier 1 tournament! Something's wrong!

Outside of the loss Venus sustained to Monica, I believe that Mother Nature has contributed to her lackluster play. I mean, isn't she nearing 24 now? Clearly, she's loosing power and speed!

Cire

·
Registered
22,590 Posts
Um i don't think so Venus got to 4 grandslam final afterwards and only lost to her sister cos her sister played better!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I didnt see monica in those finals. In fact monica hasn't seen a final since last century.

·
Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
cirelowe said:
Venus is in a major slump! It's been nearly two years since she's won a slam! Hell, it's been even a greater distance since she's won a Tier 1 tournament! Something's wrong!
Of course she is thanks to her lil sis. Meanwhile how many tier 1 events has she entered since Ericsson (now Nasdaq 100) 2001? :banghead:

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Personally I also wonder about the effect Monica may have had on the turnaround of Serena's career. It seems like those two matches in August of 2001 may have made a champion out of Serena. Especially the Canadian Open one where Serena was serving unbelievable and simply could not break Monica.

·
Registered
956 Posts
This thread is the biggest load of crap I've seen since I last saw the Jurassic Park movie.!

Reactions: tennischick

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
venus started her own "demise"

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
Since you went there boo...

Miss Monica aint been in a GS final in over 5 years.

Miss Monica lost to Miss Mary 3 TIMES IN A ROW and all of 'em was on a big ass occasion.

Miss Monica lost to Miss Ai. Y'all know that shoulda never happened.

Miss Monica only beat Queen Vee ONCE.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm assuming the thread creator is a Monica fan, as am I. But why would one demean Monica's outstanding career (although sadly interrupted) by trying to make her out to be someone that she's not. Maybe earlier in her career she stood a chance to be mentioned as a serious contender against V&S, but now .... c'mon .... stop playin' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,715 Posts
Infiniti2001 said:
:worship: I wonder why the poster seems so preoccupied with the Williames. First it was a special thread about Serena and her endorsements, now it Venus's turn :rolleyes:
I recognize this poster from the ESPN board. He's been very tame compared to the trash he posted on that board!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.