Tennis Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thanks for that. You simply forget after more than 25 years just how dominant Seles was before she was stabbed. I remember the shock of reading about it in the newspaper and wondering what would happen but, because I was so far away and not as interested in tennis then as I am now, it didn't really have the effect that I'm sure would have been the case had I lived in Europe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Monica Seles would have gone on to win so many more slams if not for the stabbing. I think she would be looking at 8 or 9 FO, 8 or 9 AO, 7 OR 8 UO and possibly 2 W. So I think she could have broken Margaret Courts record. Monica had the beating of anyone around during her great run pre-stabbing and that domination would have continued through to 97 at least. I know that she had a poor head2head with Hingis but I do not think that Hingis would have dominated quite so young as Seles would overpowered her. I think Hingis would have had to wait a year longer to snatch a Slam. I still think that the Williams sisters would have changed the game but I still think that she would have contested better for longer had it never have happened. Had it never have happened I think Graf would be at 13 or 14 Slams, Arantxa with just 1, Hingis with 3 and Majoli would never have won the FO

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Monica Seles would have gone on to win so many more slams if not for the stabbing. I think she would be looking at 8 or 9 FO, 8 or 9 AO, 7 OR 8 UO and possibly 2 W. So I think she could have broken Margaret Courts record. Monica had the beating of anyone around during her great run pre-stabbing and that domination would have continued through to 97 at least. I know that she had a poor head2head with Hingis but I do not think that Hingis would have dominated quite so young as Seles would overpowered her. I think Hingis would have had to wait a year longer to snatch a Slam. I still think that the Williams sisters would have changed the game but I still think that she would have contested better for longer had it never have happened. Had it never have happened I think Graf would be at 13 or 14 Slams, Arantxa with just 1, Hingis with 3 and Majoli would never have won the FO
I am one of Monica's biggest fans and agree with the fact that she would have won many more Slams if she had not been stabbed. But it's impossible to speculate how many. We can't just add random titles to her resume by taking them away from other players. Titles are not based on what ifs, they are based on the tennis that was actually played on the court. Monica's situation is very similar to what happened to Maureen Connolly in the 1950s. Maureen was even more dominant than Monica with 9 Grand Slam titles before the age of 19. Unlike Monica, Maureen did complete the Calendar Grand Slam. How many Slams could she have won if that horrible horseback riding accident hadn't happened? We will never know.

What we know is that two major life events derailed Monica's career: the stabbing in 1993 and her father's battle with cancer from 1994 to 1998 when he eventually passed away. The stabbing was unfortunate and could have certainly been prevented, but what about her father's illness and passing? Monica was extremely close to her father, who was also her coach. So we don't know if her career would have suffered because of her personal life between 1994 and 1998 anyway. Maybe she would have been able to cope with her father's illness a little bit better if she didn't have to deal with the psychological consequences of the stabbing at the same time, but we don't know.

Also, when we look at amazing runs with absolute dominance in women's tennis, none of them lasted more than 4 or 5 years. Before Monica's run between 1991 and 1993, we had Chris Evert from 1974 to 1978, Martina Navratilova from 1982 to 1986 and Steffi Graf from 1987 to 1990. When she got stabbed in 1993, Monica was probably destined for another 1 or 2 years of dominance before a potential letdown. Never say never, but it would have been extremely difficult for anyone to continue to dominate from 1991 all the way through 1997 without any letdowns like you are assuming. Perhaps from 1991 to 1995, but 1997 is a big stretch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand what you say about her father and she could have quite easily injured herself at any point where I have given her a Slam during the period of inactivity. It's all hypothetical, however I feel that she could have gone on to win -
AO 91,92,93,94,95,96
FO 90,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98
W 94
UO 91,92,93,94,95,96
Last Slam win there is 98 and despite stabbing she continued to be a very consistent top 10 player until 2002 at 29 years of age. So I feel that she could have sneaked another couple.
It's only my opinion and you don't have to agree and with regards the "We can't just add random titles to her resume by taking them away from other players" I merely wanted to show the effect the stabbing had on Graf career. She stands third all time with 22 and I think that is heavily down to this incident. Not taking away the fact that Graf was still a great, great player. Anyone with 13 or 14 Slams would be a great, great player

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It's all hypothetical, however I feel that she could have gone on to win -
AO 91,92,93,94,95,96
FO 90,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98
W 94
UO 91,92,93,94,95,96
You're assuming 6 consecutive Australian Open titles, 9 consecutive French Open titles and 6 consecutive US Open titles. As great as Monica was, she wasn't a robot, there is no way that she could have won all of those titles in a row. As matter of fact, nobody could ever win all of those titles in a row in three different Slams.
I believe that Monica could have broken Court's record and become the greatest of all time, but all of those consecutive titles are not humanly possible. You would have to spread them out over a longer period of time.

In Steffi's defense, I also feel that after a very dark period in 1990 and 1991 during which her game regressed, she began to show major improvements in 1992 and 1993 as she started working with Heinz Gunthardt. Her progress was in full display at the 1992 Wimbledon Championships as well as the 1992 French Open and 1993 Australian Open finals which she lost to Monica in very close matches. And Steffi's game continued to improve until 1996, with her serve turning into an even bigger weapon and her overall game becoming more complete.
I think that Monica would have also improved and remained at number one despite Steffi's progress, but their rivalry would have been much closer than people think and the two of them would have split virtually all of the major titles from 1993 to 1996, with the exception of the 1994 French Open and 1995 Australian Open, where Pierce could have potentially beaten both of them. At the 1994 French Open, Pierce steamrolled Graf - who was seeded No. 1 - in an outstanding semifinal, but then the nerves got the best of her against Sanchez in the final. With Seles in the draw, Pierce would have probably defeated Seles in the first semifinal, while the second semifinal would have been Graf against Sanchez in a completely different scenario than the actual tournament. Also, considering the way Pierce played at the 1995 Australian Open, I think she would have overpowered either Seles or Graf had they been in the draw.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Before that match, Monica had won 7 out of the last 8 majors she had entered, had a win-loss record of 55-1 in the past eight majors and was only 19 years of age.

That knife changed the course of women's tennis history and breathed new life into the career of a player who it seemed would have to settle for second best for the rest of her career.
THIS! Monica went on a steak of 10 slam finals in a row, two even after returning from the incident.

Wherever Steffi ends up on the all-time standings, Monica deserves a co-spot next to her because she would have done some serious damage to her all-time standing.

Think about if Navratilova was stabbed midway through her career. Evert might have ended up at 23 and Navratilova at 12.

It breaks my heart that the tennis body constantly shortchanges Monica’s achievements but then pegs Steffi as one of the GOATs... that makes absolutely no sense.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
It breaks my heart that the tennis body constantly shortchanges Monica’s achievements but then pegs Steffi as one of the GOATs... that makes absolutely no sense.
yep, how sad that madman succeeded in his goal. i wonder if steffi lives with that weight the attack was carried out for her - probably healthier not to.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
yep, how sad that madman succeeded in his goal. i wonder if steffi lives with that weight the attack was carried out for her - probably healthier not to.
Lol Steffi carried no weight. She went on to beat Monica in the first slam final she returned in.

I don’t blame any of it on Steffi btw. She obviously wouldn’t be at 22 slams if her deranged fan didn’t stab Monica, but you can’t control your fans. I just think her open era record was so damn skewed, and I’m glad Serena corrected it.

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
A stocky and intense gentleman caught my attention. He was situated just three rows below me. He wore a loose fitting black T-shirt, oversized trousers and a grey baseball cap.
He didnt even wear a black shirt, but an 80s style shirt. Did you get an F?

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Monica was so consistant from the very beginning on. She didn't even lose a single match in Australia until 1997.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The late great Donald Budge suspected it could have been an inside job by German conspiracy. German tennis fed and media profited massively from Graf and Becker being on top and Becker was fading and Seles was pushing Graf out of the big money. Very plausible theory... Don Budge Suggested Seles Stabbing Was An Inside Job · Tennis-Prose.com
The rumor was that Peter Graf had something to do with it. He was in serious money trouble having evaded paying 8 million in taxes. He stood much more to lose and much more to gain. Monica's father referred to Steffi as "the knife number one"!

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
The rumor was that Peter Graf had something to do with it. He was in serious money trouble having evaded paying 8 million in taxes. He stood much more to lose and much more to gain. Monica's father referred to Steffi as "the knife number one"!
The tax evasion thing was in 96/97

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Here's my homework from last term.

Theme: “Accident”

Form: Personal Writing
Voice: 23 year old man living in Germany

The wind whispered through the centre court, it brought with it a sensitive and sweet smell of the flowers courtside. I appreciated the ongoing refreshing moment. It was the April of 1993, when I attended the Citizen Cup tennis tournament in Hamburg, I felt free and fulfilled. The feeling of being all together with 6,000 spectators all watching the same match and experiencing the same atmosphere.

The two players in battle for a semi-final spot, Miss Seles and Miss Maleeva took their seats.

It all happened within a blink of the eye.
A stocky and intense gentleman caught my attention. He was situated just three rows below me. He wore a loose fitting black T-shirt, oversized trousers and a grey baseball cap.

I was not surprised that he was standing up but what was unusual was his body posture. He appeared to be impatient, maybe even drunk. He was leaning over his row, just behind Miss Seles’ seat. My first impressions were that this gentleman was trying to get her autograph, I already realised a problem was going to eventuate.

Along with the all the innocent spectators in the vast stadium, I was unprepared for what was to happen next.

The gentleman raised out a knife from his paper shopping bag. A unison of murmurs emitted from sections of the stadium, I became uncomfortable and began to feel extremely insecure.

The knife was fairly long and reminded me of the kitchen knife I use at home to prepare meals.

Miss Seles left her seat walking slowly to the Southern section to return serve. She took a towel with her to wipe off the seat. Within a few long painful seconds, the gentleman was metres behind Miss Seles. He took a few trembling steps and slowly held the knife with both hands and stabbed Miss Seles in the back.

The wind became salty.

A sudden soft high pitched and sharp sting filled the stadium. There was silence that contained the stadium. Everyone was confused, I felt stupefied, as if I was in horror movie nightmare that I could not escape. Struggling to come to terms with the reality in front of me, I continued to watch with my watery eyes in disbelief.

Miss Seles looked around to see the man being held by spectators. It already came to me that Miss Seles was a different person, her body language made her look weak and her facial expression was in agony. She was no longer the giggly flamboyant teenager that ruled the court. The tennis court would never be what it was for her.

She slowly grabbed her back, looked at her hand and saw blood. The blood was a bright red, which was very distinct even amongst the clay of the court. Miss Seles suddenly fainted onto the ground.

The smell of blood had changed the atmosphere of the entire stadium. It had fuelled anger and a helpless frustration, I felt slightly paralyzed. My brain did not seem to respond naturally to my body, it was the only instance in my life where I had experienced such a sensation of feeling completely inert.

I took a deep breath and tried to swallow some air to breath. Instead, I swallowed the bloody, odorless and painful wind. I was also a victim of the circumstances and surroundings around me; life would never be the same.
That isn’t how it happened.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts