Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seles Pulls Out of U.S. Open With Injury

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030815/ap_on_sp_te_ne/ten_us_open_seles_out_1

NEW YORK - Monica Seles (news) pulled out of the U.S. Open (news - web sites) on Friday with a left foot injury that has sidelined her since May and could end her career.

The nine-time major champion, including the 1991-92 U.S. Opens, hasn't played a competitive match since losing in the first round of the French Open (news - web sites).

"Monica has been advised by her doctors that the stress fracture in her left foot is not yet healed 100 percent," her agent, Tony Godsick, said in a telephone interview. "She is very disappointed, as she loves the U.S. Open and the New York crowds."

He said it's not clear whether Seles will play again this season.

Seles was not available for comment.

After she was beaten by eventual semifinalist Nadia Petrova at the French Open, Seles said she needed to take some time away from the game to see if her injured feet will heal enough to allow her to play without pain.

"I know I'm in the later stages of my career," she said at the time. "I don't have the luxury of taking five-to-six months off. At the same time, I don't want to have surgery."

Since then, she pulled out of several tournaments, including Wimbledon (news - web sites) and a hard-court event this week in Toronto

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Book your reservations for LA- I'm telling you, there'll be a huge send-off the likes of which Madison Square Garden has never seen!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that she is out, but Monica really needs to have that surgery. It is obvious that this foot is not going to heal on its own. I still feel that Monica has the game to contend for the top five, but she is going to have to manage her career differently if she hopes to do this. Get the surgery, rehab, get back in shape and get on the court.

I'll miss seeing Monica at the US Open.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
apoet29 said:
I'm sorry to hear that she is out, but Monica really needs to have that surgery. It is obvious that this foot is not going to heal on its own. I still feel that Monica has the game to contend for the top five, but she is going to have to manage her career differently if she hopes to do this. Get the surgery, rehab, get back in shape and get on the court.

I'll miss seeing Monica at the US Open.
I agree, it's sad. Anyone who has ever seen Monica on the practice courts (and I have at the U.S. Open a few times) knows this is a once-in-a-lifetime talent here. :worship:

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surgery isn't a 100% guaranteed fix all, and inded may not do anything but completely end her career. It's not like getting your teeth repaired. The sesamoid bone is very delicate and to have 5 screws placed into it holding to other bones is very tricky and not 100%.

·
Premium Member
172,296 Posts
sad but hardly a suprise :(

gonna be a tough road back if she wants it

·
Premium Member
172,296 Posts
for Marta Marrero fans
she replaces Seles as far as i know it

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Get better soon Monica. As long as you are healthy and happy, then I'm all good. You're the best! :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Well, I say she waits until November, and if the foot is 100% then and the US is in the Fed Cup finals, then she should try and test it there. If there isn't pain, then I say rest a little more and get in great shape for the Aussie Open, where she'll have a protected ranking. If it's truly healed, she won't have any pain after lets say the first couple of months. Then decide whether to quit or not...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.