Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: was she ever a fit player? Before the stabbing, she was still young and growing into her body and she admitted to having terrible eating habits. Is the fact that she still has weight issues 10 years after the stabbing simply an extension of bad habits that were always there (i.e. binge eating and butter on everything, etc.)?

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
when you have already terrible eatinghabits then it gets out of control when your life sucks and that can last your whole life.

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Question: was she ever a fit player? Before the stabbing, she was still young and growing into her body and she admitted to having terrible eating habits. Is the fact that she still has weight issues 10 years after the stabbing simply an extension of bad habits that were always there (i.e. binge eating and butter on everything, etc.)?
Well, what do you think ?

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,314 Posts
She used to be a tiny kid with big groundies. I have photos I could show you - particularly see 1992 French Open. She won 3 3setters, being down a break in the 3rd set in each, and still worse - had to win a 10-8 final set in the championship. She was/isn't/never will be a track star, but she managed to get to everyball when she needed to.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kart said:
Well, what do you think ?
I think I would like nothing better (save a Graf return in doubles) than to see Monica Seles get with Pat Etcheberry and really hammer herself into the best shape she's ever been- and then let loose on the Williams sisters and the Belgian contingent. I don't think it's too late, and I hope she makes the commitment soon!

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I think I would like nothing better (save a Graf return in doubles) than to see Monica Seles get with Pat Etcheberry and really hammer herself into the best shape she's ever been- and then let loose on the Williams sisters and the Belgian contingent. I don't think it's too late, and I hope she makes the commitment soon!
Why do you think she hasn't 'made the commitment' before now ?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kart said:
Why do you think she hasn't 'made the commitment' before now ?
I can only surmise that she doesn't have it in her. Yes, she's been through alot with the stabbing and her Father dying, but surely the message is clear: GET FIT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE!!! Can you imagine Monica Seles as fit as Justine Henin-Hardenne?

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Likely. But traumatic events often make bad habits worse.

She was never Amanda Coetzer in the fitness dept.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I can only surmise that she doesn't have it in her. Yes, she's been through alot with the stabbing and her Father dying, but surely the message is clear: GET FIT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE!!! Can you imagine Monica Seles as fit as Justine Henin-Hardenne?
Monica used to like to go on long runs to keep her fitness levels up. That's what she did before the stabbing... She would run for miles and miles. Then after she came back she had problems with her foot... She's had foot problems pretty much ever since her return to the game so she couldn't use her favorite method of staying in some kind of decent shape. She hates the gym. Of course most of us think that if she wants to be the best again then she should just put up with working out in the gym several times a week but it's easier said than done.

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
alfajeffster said:
If you surmise she doesn't have it in her then what is the point of saying it?

Surely the message is: IF IT DIDN'T HAPPEN WHEN SHE WAS LESS INJURY PRONE, SURELY IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WHILE SHE'S INJURED.

Incidentally, if you saw her when she was in Italy, she actually looked pretty trim. It was her mobility that was the problem.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kart said:
If you surmise she doesn't have it in her then what is the point of saying it?

Surely the message is: IF IT DIDN'T HAPPEN WHEN SHE WAS LESS INJURY PRONE, SURELY IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WHILE SHE'S INJURED.

Incidentally, if you saw her when she was in Italy, she actually looked pretty trim. It was her mobility that was the problem.
Actually, "I can only surmise" means I'm not sure why, and the point of this thread is to get other people's opinions. I'm not a groupie or fanatic like so many other people on this board- I actually enjoy discussions, and while I don't give a rats ass which fanatic's toes are stepped on what day on what topic, I do enjoy hearing what other people think and intelligent conversations. Aren't many foot, ankle, and knee injuries exascerbated by weight?

·
Registered
35,916 Posts
She looked great at the beginning of this year and the 2001 summer season, but thats when she was motivated. A lot of her mobility issues don't even have to do with not wanting to run etc, half the problem would be solved if she layed off eating crap. However, because of the mental distress she went through and how she turned to food for comfort, I'm not sure if she can ever completely break the cycle.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bradshaw#1 said:
She looked great at the beginning of this year and the 2001 summer season, but thats when she was motivated. A lot of her mobility issues don't even have to do with not wanting to run etc, half the problem would be solved if she layed off eating crap. However, because of the mental distress she went through and how she turned to food for comfort, I'm not sure if she can ever completely break the cycle.
Maybe check into a clinic for a few months?

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Actually, "I can only surmise" means I'm not sure why, and the point of this thread is to get other people's opinions. I'm not a groupie or fanatic like so many other people on this board- I actually enjoy discussions, and while I don't give a rats ass which fanatic's toes are stepped on what day on what topic, I do enjoy hearing what other people think and intelligent conversations. Aren't many foot, ankle, and knee injuries exascerbated by weight?
Thanks for the unnecessary English lesson on the meaning of 'surmise,' maybe you can help me though - what's the noun equivalent of someone who is pedantic?

I'll correct my question and elaborate it so you get my point:

If you can only surmise she doesn't have it in her then what is the point of saying it?

In other words, if you don't think she has it in her, what's the point of suggesting that she should get together with a fitness trainer and hammer herself into the best shape she's ever been in?

Would you not be better off looking at alternative routes to try and improve her chances?

The risk of lower limb injuries is, of course, increased by weight, but training when injured is also risky. I don't see any point of Monica getting a fitness coach and training hard while she is just coming off a major injury.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
monica might not be the fittest person in the world but I doubt her weight causes her injuries. she is not obese (I mean obese in medical terms of course according to people like biss anybody over 100 pounds is obese)

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kart said:
Oh, one more thing: exacerbated.
Thank you, sir, for the pedantic correction. I actually noticed the typing error but wasn't sure if it's possible to go back and correct- is it? This would be of extreme pedantic value to a stodgy old coot such as myself :kiss:

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Thank you, sir, for the pedantic correction. I actually noticed the typing error but wasn't sure if it's possible to go back and correct- is it? This would be of extreme pedantic value to a stodgy old coot such as myself :kiss:
You're very welcome and I'm glad to see you have a sense of humour.

You can click on 'edit' to correct your post if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Monica herself knows that she is not in the best shape she even says that when she sees tapes of her from the early 90's she surprises herself at how many balls she got to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts