Tennis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Monica were to return let's say next week, would she have a protected ranking? or how many more weeks/months should she stay out so that she can get a protected ranking/seeding when she gets back? Is she already eligible or how much time is left? thanx

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
I believe it's a minimum of six months since your last competitive match.

The problem with this is that the rank is just used for entry purposes so she could face some extremely tough 1st round matches.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Would it matter?
I would imagine that the events would be lining up to give monica wild cards, as she is such a big draw.

I have a creeping suspicion that she will play very little tennis from now on. maybe a few more events and if she gets any more injuries or porblems she'll quietly quit.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,314 Posts
^ I correct myself, since she played RG, they will use her post RG ranking, which was 18, I believe.

·
Banned
596 Posts
i think at AO, WTA might be able to award
her a special seeding around #16....
but her injury ranking is way to low to be considered one
it had to be around TOP 10 for WTA
to at least consider,
still, a small chance she might be seeded in AO

·
Registered
750 Posts
seles was not lucky with draws the lsat few years. She might do as well to take her chances and just see where the chips fall without seeding, if she comes back
Personally I would prefer to see her take another 6 months off, and doing a ton of movement work, if that is what it takes to get really fit and quick, so that she has a real chance of competing as well as she can.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I cant wait to see her back just hope the foots okay - whenever Monica comes back shes always unstoppable - remember when she had a lay off in 2001 and then came back to that LA tournament! she whopped some ass there!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
:eek: I thought the protected ranking was 3 months!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
jenny161185 said:
I cant wait to see her back just hope the foots okay - whenever Monica comes back shes always unstoppable - remember when she had a lay off in 2001 and then came back to that LA tournament! she whopped some ass there!
I also cant wait to see Monica on the courts again next year! And I remember the 2001 acura come back - she defeated Capriati and Hingis is straight sets. She was striking the ball so well. I love to watch Monica play - and I am looking forward to seeing her play again.

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
They often give big stars "protected seeding" when they return from lengthy hiatuses. Look at Graf in 1998, Davenport last year. Seles will be no exception, I'm sure.

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
I hope Monica gets as high a seed as possible at the AO. Regardless of her injuries, she would be an extremely difficult player to play in the early rounds (imagine a Seles vs top 5 player in the 3rd round)

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,314 Posts
I should think a seeding of (at least) 16 would be appropriate, but it's hard for me to be as unbiased as a seeding committe may be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts